Star Trek (TOS): Court Martial

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Independent George
Officer

Re: Star Trek (TOS): Court Martial

Post by Independent George »

drewder wrote:I think the fact that jettison pod is the third option on the captain's chair's control panel after red and yellow alert. How many pods do you think get jettisoned when kirk is trying to find the red alert button.
Dammit. Now I'm wondering how many diplomatic crises have been caused in TNG because of faulty autocorrect while typing on their touchscreens?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

I want to know how many red alerts are just the captain bumping that button with his elbow
rickgriffin
Officer

Post by rickgriffin »

Does the Universal Translator have an autocorrect? Because that would be a hilarious setup

Court Martial is the first episode of Star Trek I ever remember seeing. Literally my only three memories of it: the lawyer guy having a surprisingly crappy computer for it being the future, the scene in court where Kirk hit Red Alert TOO EARLY, and the scene near the end where the guy turned out to still be alive and fistfight ensues. I was surprised to learn that my vague memories of the episode turned out to be entirely accurate.
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

Am I the only one who saw Jamey's outfit and thought "Huh, Sailor Senshi are in Star Trek"?* I mean, there's supposed to be one for every planet/significant astrological body, so it's not like there'd be any shortage of planet/oids she could possibly be embodying. Although I don't think they'd get along well with Starfleet, their captains tend to have a real problem with supposedly god-like beings, especially ones in humanoid form.

*Yeah, I know it's just a coincidence, but people have based silly "theories" on less.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

rickgriffin wrote:Does the Universal Translator have an autocorrect? Because that would be a hilarious setup
Plus, if it's context-based, imagine the auto-corrects Kirk would get based on his, ahem, personal correspondence.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Darth Wedgius wrote:1 to the fourth power, on the other hand...
But can the computer make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs?
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

I was actually thinking that Jamie was sporting a really bad Sailor Mercury cosplay with that dress.

As for why Shaw is the prosecuting attorney despite the obvious conflict of interest, I can only assume this Starbase is remote enough that she was the only qualified person available for the job. Then again TNG's "The Measure of a Man" had a pretty similar conflict (it's been a long time since I've seen the episode but wasn't the judge Picard's ex-girlfriend or something?) and nobody complained either. It's possible that Roddenberry simply believed that in his perfect future all men (and women) would be able to put aside their personal feelings in matters like this and judge the situation impartially.

And I'm guessing Cogley's extreme anti-computer sentiments probably played much better with the 60's audience then it would with todays. There's a difference between using a computer to simply store data and using it to analyze data and I doubt there are many people in the modern world that would be that hung up on doing the former.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

BlackoutCreature2 wrote:As for why Shaw is the prosecuting attorney despite the obvious conflict of interest, I can only assume this Starbase is remote enough that she was the only qualified person available for the job. Then again TNG's "The Measure of a Man" had a pretty similar conflict (it's been a long time since I've seen the episode but wasn't the judge Picard's ex-girlfriend or something?) and nobody complained either. It's possible that Roddenberry simply believed that in his perfect future all men (and women) would be able to put aside their personal feelings in matters like this and judge the situation impartially.
Louvois seems to have had a thing with Captain Picard before she prosecuted him for the loss of the Stargazer. After that it seems they had a falling out and didn't see each other between then and "The Measure of a Man." But that episode had just as big a conflict of interest when Riker was given the role of the plaintiff with Picard handling the defense, citing the legal grounds of "Our main characters have to do everything."

The problem we're running into is that, in the future, everyone seems to somehow already know everyone else. Every guest character is inexplicably an old friend or a family member or ex lover or personal nemesis of somebody else in the main cast.
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

Re that dress: if my teenage daughter was going to be spending any time around James T. Kirk, I'd make sure that her wardrobe was as unflattering as humanly possible too!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

wouldn't that just make her want to get out of it that much faster?