Star Trek (Dis): Battle at the Binary Stars

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Re: Star Trek (Dis): Battle at the Binary Stars

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

I love the photoshops of DSC Klingons with hair. Even as someone who likes the show I was like "Why did they redesign the Klingons so dramatically?!" and then the first time I saw those I realized they didn't and I was stunned by how much of a difference something so simple made on their appearance, but it's very easy to see how this might just be a fashion phase, especially given the "Remain Klingon" stuff. Maybe they shave their heads and facial hair so you can see one hundred percent they're one hundred percent Klingon, none of this augment or intermarrying stuff.

I also really liked the idea of the Klingon scenes and thought they were very immersive, but then I am used to reading subtitles. My big problem is the actors were clearly struggling to pronounce things right because the teeth were in their way.
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

There's more of a difference than just the hair. That's a pretty significant change to the ridges and the nose. Now this could all be explained very easily, given that these Klingons act very differently from all other Klingons we've seen they could just be a subset of them, but that doesn't appear to be wear they are going with this.

ETA: But then at this point in the timeline the Klingon Augment Virus should be in full swing, so they shouldn't have ridges at all should they? Again this could all be explained by them being a subset of Klingons, maybe one who look at their now non ridged cousins as no longer Klingon.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

More dutch angles, lens flare, dramatic lighting where it makes no sense... But those are "left a bad taste" kind of issues, not deal-breakers. I can overlook continuity issues more easily than some people can, after Enterprise bent the needle on my continuity meter. I am a fan of redemption arcs, and Mike has a lot to redeem. I like that the character is flawed; Kirk was headstrong, Picard was a bit arrogant, Sisko had a temper, Archer was inexperienced, and Janeway had Voyager's writing. Mike might be a whole 'nother order of magnitude flawed, but you don't get redemption arcs for overdue library books. Unless Starfleet is led by Admiral Twilight Sparkle, in which case you'd be lucky to get of with just life in prison. And the farther Mike sinks, at least without being irredeemable, the better that redemption looks.

I think the reason it was a prequel was that TNG-era tech had gotten as magical as Hogwarts, and it was harder to write plots around. That's just my guess, though. My preference would have been between TOS and TNG, but the vast majority of fans want a post-Voyager show, and that's what they should have gotten.

A lot of my distaste for Discovery is from behind-the-scenes stuff (seriously, trying to "understand" a group of real people by creating fictional characters, assigning heir motivations, writing their lines, etc., is about the most arrogant thing I've ever heard of).

But this two-parter was OK. It had flaws, but maybe no more than "Encounter at Far Point" or "Where No Man Has Gone Before"... or "Caretaker" or "Broken Bow."
Yerushalmi
Redshirt

Post by Yerushalmi »

I'm shocked that the review didn't discuss my strongest objection to this episode: that planting bombs in enemy dead bodies is a war crime. This is normally smack in the middle of SFDebris's wheelhouse, pointing out how severely unethical the supposedly super-ethical Federation is.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

Well Discovery found their audience in J!!. To hell what Trek means, to hell with what came before, to hell with all of it. As long as we can make a generic sci fi show and slap the Trek name on it, some will watch.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

you seem upset.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The psychic thing isn't true. Distance has never mattered in Star Trek telepathy.

Spock sensed V'Ger across the Quadrant
Lxanna Troi talked about how the two people had a psychic connection across multiple Star Systems their entire lives

And the pseudoscience behind quantum physics-based telepathy is quantum entanglement.
Last edited by CharlesPhipps on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

TrueMetis wrote:There's more of a difference than just the hair. That's a pretty significant change to the ridges and the nose. Now this could all be explained very easily, given that these Klingons act very differently from all other Klingons we've seen they could just be a subset of them, but that doesn't appear to be wear they are going with this.
It honestly doesn't really bother me if they want to update the look of Klingons. If they want to create a new visual style for a new Star Trek, that's all surface-level crap and doesn't really imply much about the quality of the show or the story.

My only problem is that these guys look like Space Orcs. I can't watch a scene of them without hearing Lord of the Rings' soundtrack playing in the back of my head. I'm not married to the look of TNG Klingons, but I also can't think this is a good change.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yerushalmi wrote:I'm shocked that the review didn't discuss my strongest objection to this episode: that planting bombs in enemy dead bodies is a war crime. This is normally smack in the middle of SFDebris's wheelhouse, pointing out how severely unethical the supposedly super-ethical Federation is.
I think it's hard to muster must rage on the subject as the Klingons have already attacked under a flag of truce.