Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
unknownsample
Officer

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS]

Post by unknownsample »

Ok here's what I liked about TLJ

1. The way it subverted expectations, it didn't take the safe, obvious easy route, I'm glad they killed Snoke, I'm glad Rey wasn't revealed as the daughter of Han Solo, granddaughter of Kenobi, whatever, not redeeming Ren,

2. Luke, Hamill puts in a tour de force performance here and it's a shame we aren't discussing that, the film doesn't betray Luke Skywalker, what the film does is show us a jaded and broken man, it doesn't show us a murderer and in the end he does come through, he does make a difference,

3. Poe, One of the problems with TFA was it didn't feature Poe enough, here he gets a much bigger role and develops as a character, he learns that jumping into an X-wing and blowing stuff up isn't the answer, he is shown the cost of his impulsiveness and rashness, the speeder
attack shows Poe's growth as he realises that he can't destroy the cutter and retreats.

4. Klyo Ren, I really felt that Ren improved a lot in this film, they got him out of that mask and showed his face and he showed in his scenes with Rey, that he can be more a Vader wannabe, but instead a manipulative cunning bastard who manages to kill his master and take over the first order.

5. BB-8, a worthy succesor to R2-D2

6. Rey and Luke, in my view the scenes between those two are the best parts of the film

I'm not saying the film is perfect, it isn't but I would say it's a very good entry and opens up fresh possibilities for the franchise.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Am I the only one who felt BB-8 was too much of a deus ex machina in this film? R2-D2 was basically a helpful sidekick in the original trilogy and in the prequels he gradually become more overpowered as those films went on but even he couldn't pull off some of the stuff this little droid does.

Granted BB-8 is more advanced and recent than R2-D2 but he's also a lot smaller, it's cool to see him do neat tricks other than hack into doors and cameras but he comes across as a superhero in this film.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

BB-8 does seem like she has to one up every moment of r2's badassness
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

I thought that BB-8 was one of the best characters of TFA.
They introduced a creative new droid design which contrasted R2's recklessly brave and snarky attitude with a childlike enthusiasm. All expressed by puppetry.

In TLJ they just upped the physical comedy on him in pretty much every scene, then had him as Deus Ex McMurder Droid. It was annoying as hell.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Fixer wrote:I thought that BB-8 was one of the best characters of TFA.
They introduced a creative new droid design which contrasted R2's recklessly brave and snarky attitude with a childlike enthusiasm. All expressed by puppetry.

In TLJ they just upped the physical comedy on him in pretty much every scene, then had him as Deus Ex McMurder Droid. It was annoying as hell.
Oh I agree, he was adorable in TFA.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Saw this & it really amused me, so I thought I'd share it :)

"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

Paul Walker wrote:Saw this & it really amused me, so I thought I'd share it :)

Interesting, but for me it only serves as a bitter reminder that the greatest fleet commander in the history of the Rebellion died off camera like a nobody and the epic send off he should've got went instead to a creature I can only describe as the love child of Jar Jar Binks and Anita Sarkeesian.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

I thought of Robot CHicken's Palpatine sketch while reading it. The one that had Baba O'Reilly playing over his narration:

youtu.be/5qAKXK_aLeA
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PapaPalpatine wrote:

Interesting, but for me it only serves as a bitter reminder that the greatest fleet commander in the history of the Rebellion died off camera like a nobody and the epic send off he should've got went instead to a creature I can only describe as the love child of Jar Jar Binks and Anita Sarkeesian.
She is lietrally from planet SJW.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gatalenta

Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.[1] The Gatalentan people were also known for living austerely, with the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional red cloaks. They were ruled by the Council of Mothers
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!