Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GandALF
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by GandALF »

It would be amusing if they did the same thing as Enterprise and the Defiant has the old cardboard sets and they all marvel at how advanced it is.
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Fixer wrote:
Paul Walker wrote: Everyone outside of that so far is a glorified Redshirt who I can only remember from their three primary surface traits. Even gay black doctor and asshole security woman are dead. When we travel to the mirror universe, and most of the primary cast's doubles aren't present, it only leaves Michael to interact with mirror Saru, mirror died in pilot guy and mirror scarred redhead lady. It doesn't leave you to see much contrast.

Georgiou is rocking that evil Empress look though.
I like Discovery, but It does start to feel like this is a play with a small cast of actors playing multiple roles like a play
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

Fixer wrote:A white lie for his benefit. If Saru's species is on the verge of extinction and he's looking for any hope that there may be more of his kind in this alternate reality, the inconsiderate response would be: Yes, and they're a slave race, in this universe you wash my feet.

Though Saru's species being few in number is something that has only just come up on show, Memory Alpha has a link saying they were driven underground by the predators on his world and Saru was rescued by starfleet.
Agreed. I can see that she doesn't want to take another opportunity for hope and happiness from him considering how much she has directly and indirectly taken from him already.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

LavarosVA wrote:
Fixer wrote:A white lie for his benefit. If Saru's species is on the verge of extinction and he's looking for any hope that there may be more of his kind in this alternate reality, the inconsiderate response would be: Yes, and they're a slave race, in this universe you wash my feet.

Though Saru's species being few in number is something that has only just come up on show, Memory Alpha has a link saying they were driven underground by the predators on his world and Saru was rescued by starfleet.
Agreed. I can see that she doesn't want to take another opportunity for hope and happiness from him considering how much she has directly and indirectly taken from him already.
So she wants to bring him over as a surprise...
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

So we learned many valuable things today.

The mitochondrial network connects all living things. However, it has a corrupting dark side.
The ISS Charon is powered by Eternal Empire technology.
Kelpians are delicious. Just like cows.
There isn't a plot twist that we didn't see months ago.

At least they stuck to the plot they thought of instead of changing it mid way because fans figured it out. I hate it when people do that.

Edit: I'm sounding too negative, I'm actually going to praise them for making the effort here to plot something out ahead of time and follow through on it so that the clues all matched up with the outcome. In an age where every long running franchise seems to be winging it without regard for where the story may take them, this is refreshing.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Fixer wrote:So we learned many valuable things today.

The mitochondrial network connects all living things. However, it has a corrupting dark side.
The ISS Charon is powered by Eternal Empire technology.
Kelpians are delicious. Just like cows.
There isn't a plot twist that we didn't see months ago.

At least they stuck to the plot they thought of instead of changing it mid way because fans figured it out. I hate it when people do that.

Edit: I'm sounding too negative, I'm actually going to praise them for making the effort here to plot something out ahead of time and follow through on it so that the clues all matched up with the outcome. In an age where every long running franchise seems to be winging it without regard for where the story may take them, this is refreshing.
Wholeheartedly agree.

While people who come onto sites like this may have seen everything, I also have friends a colleagues who've been surprised at every turn, but were also really pleased to look back and see the clues were there all along.

At this point it looks like most of the questions we were asking (and clues that were planted) earlier on have come to fruition, it does make me wonder what will happen next.

A few other points:
  • I like that, at least for now, evil does not equal dumb. The Emperor is savvy, and doesn't draw things out.
    I hope that this is an occasion where we don't end up fighting the Emperor, and that she holds true to her word.
    And I definitely want to see a battle against the real Captain Killy.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Well, I think they said that the two Discoveries basically swapped places. So she's probably running around the panzy-ass Federation-verse, raising all kinds of hell.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Well, I guess it's settled - START TREK IS DEAD, LONG LIVE STAR WARS. For fucks sake. They not only have their own midiclorians but also have their own force ghosts and the ability to communicate via the force, sorry, my bad - via the myceleal network. FUCK THIS SHOW. FUCK. THIS. SHOW.

Edit: for some reason autocorrect "corrected" midiclorians to mitochondria originally.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

AlucardNoir wrote:Well, I guess it's settled - START TREK IS DEAD, LONG LIVE STAR WARS. For fucks sake. They not only have their own midiclorians but also have their own force ghosts and the ability to communicate via the force, sorry, my bad - via the myceleal network. FUCK THIS SHOW. FUCK. THIS. SHOW.

Edit: for some reason autocorrect "corrected" midiclorians to mitochondria originally.
As a Star Wars EU fan i feel envy. You still got so much stuff.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Agent Vinod wrote:
AlucardNoir wrote:Well, I guess it's settled - START TREK IS DEAD, LONG LIVE STAR WARS. For fucks sake. They not only have their own midiclorians but also have their own force ghosts and the ability to communicate via the force, sorry, my bad - via the myceleal network. FUCK THIS SHOW. FUCK. THIS. SHOW.

As a Star Wars EU fan i feel envy. You still got so much stuff.
Considering the original Clone Wars animated series that put EU stories to screen is what got me into star wars I'd like to say I understand you but frankly my Star Wars boner died when The First Order destroyed 5 planets with Starkiller base... there is a limit to my suspension of disbelief and that scene was the line. Actually now that I say that I'd like to revise the last part of my previous statement. FUCK J.J. ABRAMS. That monster kills whatever existing series he touches.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.