Star Trek (Dis): Battle at the Binary Stars

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Asvarduil
Officer

Re: Star Trek (Dis): Battle at the Binary Stars

Post by Asvarduil »

Madner Kami wrote:It's an established fact, that Sarek got the hots for human booty and none of his wives were even close to his age ;)
...The heck of the thing? You're right.

I'm going to go sulk for a while now. I still need to beat Persona 5 anyways.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

I think they got rid of Georgio cause... Its Michelle ****ing Yeoh

of course Micheal would be oveshadowed
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Wargriffin wrote:I think they got rid of Georgio cause... Its Michelle ****ing Yeoh

I think they got rid of Georgio because she was a competent Starfleet captain. The fans will never go for horsecrap like that - that's practically an oxymoron!
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Asvarduil wrote:
Wargriffin wrote:I think they got rid of Georgio cause... Its Michelle ****ing Yeoh

I think they got rid of Georgio because she was a competent Starfleet captain. The fans will never go for horsecrap like that - that's practically an oxymoron!

What about Sisko and Kirk?
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Wargriffin wrote:
Asvarduil wrote:

What about Sisko and Kirk?
Both of them are more or less Space Chuck Norris. Trying to get rid of them will lead to their characters jumping out of the TV and strangling the executives who try it. The fourth wall is horribly ineffective against those two.
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

Asvarduil wrote:in order for Trip and T'Pol to have that sort of ability to communicate, they had to sleep together and initiate a mating bond.

...I think I need to stop right there, since that should tell you exactly why I consider this development disturbing.
I mean, if that's the way you want to see it, it is possible that it's something normally reserved for loved ones whether they be romantic or otherwise.

That and given that this case happened because Michael was on the verge of death, it was probably more referencing the more famous example of Spock dumping his entire personality into Bones via katra-magic. See, this is why I really don't get people getting worked up about this specific aspect at all- the Vulcan katra has always done miraculous things and raised all kinds of "why don't you just use it to do x" questions (the answer usually being "because it's only used as a narrative tool"). It's like people lose all their imagination only when it involves Discovery's version of said miraculous things.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

^ Yeah, I mean, doing long-distance communication via katra is too much to swallow but not, y'know, raising the dead?
Xaios
Redshirt

Post by Xaios »

Durandal_1707 wrote:^ Yeah, I mean, doing long-distance communication via katra is too much to swallow but not, y'know, raising the dead?
Don't say that near anyone who hates STID, they might have an aneurysm.

Of course, it's likely to be an Admiral Ross-style aneurysm, but still.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Durandal_1707 wrote:^ Yeah, I mean, doing long-distance communication via katra is too much to swallow but not, y'know, raising the dead?
Well, it was more the magic Genesis technology that raised the dead. It took Spock's corpse and somehow created a young Spock that rapidly aged up. When you've got a tool that seems limited, it makes sense why they're not using it all the time for every problem. Star Trek III also had Genesis fail, to explain why we never saw it used for its intended purpose over the following years.

People will call it out not just because it's a new series. Chuck went in-depth into why the implications of casual time travel in The Voyage Home were series breaking. The magic blood in Into Darkness was world-breaking, as bad as the universal teleported in ST: 2009. People hated the Prophets for seeming like a cheap cop-out to serious problems in Dominion war arc, and hated the way Borg nanoprobes solved every conceivable problem on Voyager. Breaking the established rules, or introducing something that has submersion-breaking implications, is always going to be a problem.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

STAR TREK science can accomplish anything. We're a little past the point of complaining about it doing so.