DC Comics General Discussion [Spoilers]

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Wargriffin
Captain

DC Comics General Discussion [Spoilers]

Post by Wargriffin »

Talk about your favorite ongoing books, Heroes, past events or future hopes

Ask for recommendations of heroes you want to check out

Warning Spoilers will be discussed openly

Lets start things off

Favorite Heroes, The Titans, Superman, Hawk and Dove, and Birds of Prey -cause no one does it better!-
Rebirth and N52 has really made me like Aquaman, I'd recommend reading both series

I enjoyed Blackest Night for the dumb Evil romp that it was... Brightest Day can go **** itself

Worst Comic I ever read... Titans 08 #23 with Titans East Special and Graduation Day close behind it.

Everything Barry Allen touches turns to ****!!!
_____

Current thoughts on ongoings

Titans 2016 #19 kinda feels like the bottom falling out... Lazarus contract was not that great, The 'Judas' Arc -which didn't have a judas but a long Con- Revelation is more confusing and raises more questions but #19 is just like a backhanded slap across the face. I'd have preferred a breather episode

The other reason to dislike Titans 19 is the return of the "We need the Wolfman Titan setup back!!!" arguments Look you should only change a Team dynamic if you need to and it makes sense too... not for flipping cause! We had Titans 08 look how that turned out!!!

Aquaman
Mera and Arthur are so ride or die for each other. Best Couple EVER
I find Dolphin really endearing in her Rebirth incarnation and hope they keep things platonic between her and Arthur... seeing that she seems alot younger then Arthur this time

**** the Sea Nuns! Well maybe not Ondine... She seems cool

Flash
Monkey Trouble is back and has been the Mastermind all along... Still hating The heel turn you know who I'm talking about.

Deathstroke
Slade really didn't try to keep the good guy thing going in retrospect now did he.

Teen Titans
One shot story... standard Starfire fare, I mean if you're tired of the Damian/ Wallace focus, You'll probably think this is the best issue ever!

Red Hood and the Outlaws
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this is the same guy that gave us the gawd awful N52 Teen Titans, is behind a series I really enjoy. Jason actually works as the main character... his chemistry with Artemis is great and Bizarro... Bizarro just a hoot

Though... I kinda miss Jason and Roy's bromance

Suicide Squad
Ya know, the foreshadowing was there... but talk about a shaggy dog story. Waller is the Worst
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Wargriffin
Captain

Re: DC Comics General Discussion [Spoilers]

Post by Wargriffin »

:D Rebirth Dolphin is awesome
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Am I the only one who finds Doomsday Clock to be kind of sort of incredibly jarring? It is just 3 issues in but still.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

GandALF wrote:Am I the only one who finds Doomsday Clock to be kind of sort of incredibly jarring? It is just 3 issues in but still.
What do you feel it is jarring?

The premise?

The weird timetable where it should be current DC but feels like its old like old pre-Flashpoint DC?

The fact that a 1/4 of the way through and we just now feel like the story is starting.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Wargriffin wrote:What do you feel it is jarring?
I get that the point is to show the contrast and Ozymandias meeting Lex Luthor and NuRorschach meeting Batman makes a kind of thematic sense, but bringing back the Comedian? They've got greasy leather rapist man in the same city as Krypto the superdog? It just seems needless especially considering he was already dead.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

GandALF wrote:
Wargriffin wrote:What do you feel it is jarring?
I get that the point is to show the contrast and Ozymandias meeting Lex Luthor and NuRorschach meeting Batman makes a kind of thematic sense, but bringing back the Comedian? They've got greasy leather rapist man in the same city as Krypto the superdog? It just seems needless especially considering he was already dead.
Have you heard the Quantum theory about Blake's survival in that He both survived and didn't. Hail Quantum

I was gonna bring up Doctor Light... but one of the better things about the Reboot is that Arthur is ALOT better then he was
Image I mean he even bagged Kimiyo

In the back on my mind I've always wondered if this is just gonna devolve into yet another DC blames the late 80s and 90s 'Namely Moore and Miller' for all the darkness induced pointlessness that plagues the DC universe! with Manhattan as their scapegoat figurehead they wanted Mandrakk or Superboy Pime to be

Which again is them not being as self aware as they think they are and more importantly obviously missing the point.

Watchmen does not represent the gathering gloom of Darkness and Negativity

If DC ever really wants to be honest with itself the point they should be raging against

Was the moment they decided THIS was okay

and The Titan's Memorial could be as long as the Tower is damn high as some form of gimmicky charm.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Flash annual

Guess whose back... Back again...

So in universe its been a Year since wally's return? I find that hard to believe with the story progress of other books, Titans basically in universe feels like its happened over the course of a month or two since TH 'Cause I honestly can't see them going that long without finding Karen's memories'

Nightwing had a whole issue devoted to the 3 months of him and Shawn getting closer

Batman had six issues devoted to a Flashback told over a single night

Its almost why you have to ignore any statement of Time in Comics cause it doesn't work since the writers work at their own pace and will contradict each other.

Also Wally is now having New 52 Memories of stuff that didn't happen, since he's flashback to Magenta and the Titans has Jason as Robin
They are never gonna try to sort this out... We got PreFlashpoint memories, New 52 Memories and New 52 possibilities from the Ten years stolen cause Wally got thrown into the Speed Force as a Teenager yet he might also be Pre Flashpoint Wally... And DC wonders how the continuity gets so convoluted

Deathstroke annual

Defiance ends the way we all knew it would...

Terra just never gives up does she "I'm legal Now!!!"

Gawd the art in this issue some Grand A Youngblood infection going on here.

Dark Nights: Metal #5

This event has lost all steam by delaying the final three parts, The bulk of it has passed.
The Pacing has not been great... We are two parts away from the conclusion The JL has consistently gotten its ass kicked by a set of boring villains whose dialogue all blurs together after a while.

The Dark Knights are just boring villains
yamiangie
Redshirt

Post by yamiangie »

I'm also reading and Enjoying Red Hood and the Outlaws, I rather canon blind so I like the previous one too.

Aquaman and Mera as so cute. I also think the Mother's of Atlantis plan of putting Mera on the thrown is not smart; and they should likely think about it more since their stop gap pick is working out so well.

Anyone else reading those Batman/The Shadow crossovers? I'm not liking the second one as much as the first.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The Nun superior probably thinks that like Rath... Mera can be replace if she proves an issue... forgetting the fact Mera's pretty much a one woman army with the magic skills to back it up

Red hood volume 1 gets better... I found it alot more enjoyable then say New 52 Teen titans
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The abridged version of My DawnxBoston Rant from a much larger Brightest Day Rant

Dawn and Boston do not have a relationship, what they have is Dawn filling a check box so you can feel more sorry for Boston as the White Light drags him around in the last third of the story.

Dawn has no character arc or presence in the story. She exists to fill the role of Boston's pretty empathetic girlfriend so he can selflessly sacrifice himself at the end. You could literally replace Dawn with anybody as long as they fulfill the following three categories: Pretty, Empathetic and Female.

I mean for half of the Story Boston and Dawn show no real interest or attraction to each other and then suddenly the are in love with each other to the point Dawn's sleeping with him. FYI it took Dawn like five dates just to kiss the guy she was interested in, in her own series who she new over 4 months... She's known Boston for what like 3 weeks?

No seriously if you pasted all the Brightest day scenes of Boston and Dawn together before they hook up, The pairing is so forced and out of nowhere it will give you whiplash.

What exactly does Dawn like about Boston? NO tell me straight up what does Dawn like about Boston... Does He consul her in grief nope, Does he empathize with her nope. Dawn's not allowed to be sad about losing her sister due to her inability to protect her, She's not allowed to be angry at Hank for killing her or just frustrated with him in general cause Dawn's suppose to be in love with Hank. She's not even trying to figure out her own link to the white light instead focusing all her time on helping Boston find the supposed new Life guardian. Dawn's entire purpose in the story is to be Boston's support pillar and then a pair of warm thighs for him to crawl between cause someone was having an insert fantasy in a gawd damn Weekly Series! Hawk and Dove get screwed over by tying the two to Boston whose plot line is the equivalent of Stop and let every one advance!!

And Before you go, "But... She's the avatar of peace ergo she has"

BULL SHIT Peace does not mean emotionally Detached, or Aloof to the point you come off as unfeeling. Hank is more upset by the fact they failed to Resurrect Don or Holly then DAWN is!!! Infact Dawn has NO reaction

and the real irony is when Boston selflessly sacrifices himself for her, She BURSTs in to tears cause its just so unfair... TOO BOSTON -her own damn words- Dawn's not even allowed to cry for herself.

It is such a terrible misuse/abuse of a character that Johns and Tomasi both deserve to be slapped for it... Geoff especially cause Not only did he make a big Hoodoo about Death meaning something again 'in Typical DC fashion we skip the grieving stage to loss... even though Brightest Day takes place the NEXT Day somehow, someway they've reburied everybody, Dawn basically avoids her parents the entire story' but Geoff went on about Dawn's connection to the White light would be explained... GUESS WHAT PLOT POINT WASN'T EXPLAINED