Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

Post by Admiral X »

So did the 1701, apparently. Naturally they felt the need to change all but the basic shape. It isn't as bad as the JJ-prise, but it can hardly claim to be the original the way some other fan redesigns could. Actually it reminds me of a fan-made photoshop that made a Conny out of NX-01 parts.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
PlasmaHam
Redshirt

Post by PlasmaHam »

I'm not against Star Trek having some sort of message, but the finale did get a bit preachy. Especially noticeable at the, in my opinion, lackluster and just odd ending speech by Burnham. It's like they decided to make up for their otherwise lack of speeches throughout the season by cramming them all into the last episode.

With the exception of the strangely angular nacelles, I think the new design is a pretty good modernized version of the classic Constitution class. Looks like a combination of the 60's Enterprise and the film-series refit. Which I know doesn't exactly line up with the timeline, but given that Discovery has already repeatedly demonstrated the willingness to use technology described as "brand new" over a century later, I'm willing to give them a pass on this. Still surprised they brought in the NCC-1701 for their season 1 finale though, seems a bit rushing to be playing that card so early in the show's run.

Also, this is apparently not the first time the Discovery has encountered the Enterprise...
Last edited by PlasmaHam on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Little did Burnham know of the second bomb, cunningly hidden by Emperor Georgeau deep inside the moon Praxis.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Ending the season that way was completely, utterly, and undeniably cheesy as hell.

But damn if it didn't put a smile on my face.
Daedalusx007
Redshirt

Post by Daedalusx007 »

The resolution to the war was... terrible.

Spoilers.

“We have planted a bomb which will cause your planet to be doomed to be an ash covered wasteland. We are going to surrender this leverage to you, and in return we ask that you please stop hitting us.”

What nonsense is this?
Axios.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

So apparently the war arc is over.

I'm probably going to have to think on this but I was completely uninvested in this entire episode. The Earth is moments away from an attack by Klingons and I don't care.

Maybe it's because no-one else seems to care. Maybe it's because Michael makes speeches on morality and federation principals in the manner of someone reading an ikea furniture instruction manual.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

So all they did is add more detail and make the nacelles glow blue, is it really worth getting upset over?Image
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

GandALF wrote:So all they did is add more detail and make the nacelles glow blue, is it really worth getting upset over?Image
Yes! They added fricking detail! And glowy bits! And it's the NCC-1701, which didn't have them! Blasphemy! The end of the world is nigh! How dare they make something iconic and awesome better!

Before you know it, Kirk will be banging blue skinned women, or something similary crazy!
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, that, and it's battleship grey now instead of white, but, who cares?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

TGLS wrote:Well, that, and it's battleship grey now instead of white, but, who cares?
Oh the huge manatee!

Edit: While (Insert tasteless DJT joke here) can be funny, it's also somewhat orthogonal to DISCO. I changed my vote to 'play up the differences with Trek canon' instead of 'find something exemplary of total outrage due to something small and/or ridiculous'. Actually having typed that, now, I'm not so sure there's much of a difference...