Star Wars, Highly Illiogical Captain

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Crowley
Officer

Re: Star Wars, Highly Illiogical Captain

Post by Crowley »

I'll just add that personally I would've found it much more interesting and fruitful for storytelling to have Finn be an average upstanding citizen who joined the military. Then later have him at some point face his family and former friends who think he's a traitor, but haven't seen the things he has. For one, that situation is much more relatable for most audience members than "I was stolen from my parents as a child."
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Illogical? OK...

You've got the Death Star, the entire point of which is that it can destroy a planet. So at the the climax of the A New Hope, what are they doing with it? Maneuvering it around a planet to get to a moon on the other side.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

The Empire's leadership are beaurocratic maniacs. Of course they will maneuver around the planet instead of blowing it up, precisely because they fail at lateral thinking. They fail because they don't think outside the box, as is clearly evidenced by them not installing any fighter defenses on their moon-sized base and not even sending out any TIE fighters to defend against the obvious.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Yavin's a gas giant, maybe the superlaser would go in and get scattered by gasses and come out the other side super-diluted and spread out and just deliver a mild "whump" to the moon's upper atmosphere.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

In Revenge of the Sith, when the Jedi Council decide to give Anakin the assignment to spy on Palpatine. Obi-Wan then tells Anakin about said assignment RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HALLWAY. Even if you can discount the possibility of surveillance devices in a public place (i.e., a place you have no reasonable expectation of privacy), and the likelihood that someone as powerful as the Supreme Chancellor can access the surveillance network from his office any time he wants, there's still other people in that hallway. Anyone passing by could overhear what they were talking about; and if said passerby is someone loyal to the Chancellor, the Jedi Council better hope Obi-Wan and Anakin ate their Space Wheaties that morning, because that person will be off like a shot to tell Palpatine about the plot against him.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

PapaPalpatine wrote:In Revenge of the Sith, when the Jedi Council decide to give Anakin the assignment to spy on Palpatine. Obi-Wan then tells Anakin about said assignment RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HALLWAY. Even if you can discount the possibility of surveillance devices in a public place (i.e., a place you have no reasonable expectation of privacy), and the likelihood that someone as powerful as the Supreme Chancellor can access the surveillance network from his office any time he wants, there's still other people in that hallway. Anyone passing by could overhear what they were talking about; and if said passerby is someone loyal to the Chancellor, the Jedi Council better hope Obi-Wan and Anakin ate their Space Wheaties that morning, because that person will be off like a shot to tell Palpatine about the plot against him.
The trappings of CGing everything. Noone realized, that they are actually out in the open and can easily be overheard by passers-by, because they were in a small green room with only two actors and the recording-team being present, when they shot the scene.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PapaPalpatine wrote:In Revenge of the Sith, when the Jedi Council decide to give Anakin the assignment to spy on Palpatine. Obi-Wan then tells Anakin about said assignment RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC HALLWAY. Even if you can discount the possibility of surveillance devices in a public place (i.e., a place you have no reasonable expectation of privacy), and the likelihood that someone as powerful as the Supreme Chancellor can access the surveillance network from his office any time he wants, there's still other people in that hallway. Anyone passing by could overhear what they were talking about; and if said passerby is someone loyal to the Chancellor, the Jedi Council better hope Obi-Wan and Anakin ate their Space Wheaties that morning, because that person will be off like a shot to tell Palpatine about the plot against him.
Nobody around them could speak basic.