Empire Strikes Back

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ORCACommander
Officer

Re: Empire Strikes Back

Post by ORCACommander »

Actually, I am of the opinion that Needa Lived. While its true that cinema and TV shorthand choking to where a person passes out = dead Vader clearly stops once Needa passes out. It would still take a couple minutes of further choking to finish needa off.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

ORCACommander wrote:Actually, I am of the opinion that Needa Lived. While its true that cinema and TV shorthand choking to where a person passes out = dead Vader clearly stops once Needa passes out. It would still take a couple minutes of further choking to finish needa off.
I believe that if you look closely, you could see the actor playing Needa using his legs to help lift himself up. Must be one helpful corpse.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

While The Empire Strikes Back has a lot going for it, I really don't care for the Han/Leia romance as it's depicted here. Han just keeps aggressively hitting on her for most of the movie, despite her protests, and it puts Han in danger of losing the "lovable" part of "lovable rogue".
MixedDrops
Officer

Post by MixedDrops »

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I think it's similar to how the sex scene in Blade Runner hasn't aged all that well either, although that case is a lot worse, with Deckard making implicit threats of violence by slamming the door shut and whatnot.
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote:
jadenova wrote:After watching the prequels it makes me wonder how much Yoda wanted to tell Luke about his father just so Luke couldn't make the same mistakes Anakin did.
A deleted scene from ROTJ, an extended version of Yoda's death, reveals that Yoda forbade Obi-Wan from telling Luke the whole truth. I suppose that if Luke knew the reality of what happened from the beginning he would be too afraid to take any sort of action against his father or fear that he would become like his father.

Obi-Wan probably wanted to tell Luke more about Anakin and the rest of the Jedi, and slowly ease him into the truth, but the events of ANH didn't allow him much room for that.

Yoda probably didn't think Luke was ready for the truth either when he was training him.
Yoda could have told Luke the truth expect just don't say who Vader really is.
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

I just realized something. In the Special Edition there is this big thing of Vader going back to his Star Destroyer added in so why didn't they change Captain Needa's shuttle when he went to see Vader. They did all these little cosmetic changes but not that.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

jadenova wrote:
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Yoda probably didn't think Luke was ready for the truth either when he was training him.
Yoda could have told Luke the truth expect just don't say who Vader really is.
Handle the truth you can't! Stand on the wall, you need me to.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

One thing I noticed was that Chuck refers to "the light side" of the force, which interestingly the movie never refers to by that name. I always found that nicely suggestive of the idea that the dark side of force was more like the unbalanced pursuit of the force and makes it make sense why the Jedi took returning balance to the force as being about destroying the Sith. The idea of the light side arguably makes the dichotomy between Jedi and Sith more of a simple binary then it should be. Although a quick google suggests that the idea of two sides of the force was one Lucas was playing around with in various versions of the story and lots of people do fall into the "light side" "dark side" split. I think the latest movies do actually use the term "light side" and the EU had I think used the term.

One thing you get from considerations of just how much Lucas played around with the mythology and plot of Star Wars in development, so its hard to say that any idea has one inflexible interpretation.

Otherwise as usual Chuck gives food for thought on all this.
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

Something I never noticed until I read about it on a forum is the special edition added the second set of doors to the Falcon's top hatch when Lando goes up to catch Luke. This was because Lando clearly opened the top hatch to the sky (or rather some white light) in his perspective shot but the next shot of the top of the Falcon shows the hatch opening AGAIN followed by Lando coming up. Compared to the other changes in the SE, this one was so organic that I never even noticed it was new!
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

AllanO wrote:One thing I noticed was that Chuck refers to "the light side" of the force, which interestingly the movie never refers to by that name. I always found that nicely suggestive of the idea that the dark side of force was more like the unbalanced pursuit of the force and makes it make sense why the Jedi took returning balance to the force as being about destroying the Sith. The idea of the light side arguably makes the dichotomy between Jedi and Sith more of a simple binary then it should be. Although a quick google suggests that the idea of two sides of the force was one Lucas was playing around with in various versions of the story and lots of people do fall into the "light side" "dark side" split. I think the latest movies do actually use the term "light side" and the EU had I think used the term.
The light side still fits into that. The dark side is dangerous but not inherently evil, it's just base emotion and material desire. The Jedi use their rational, compassionate light side to balance out their irrational, base dark side. That's why fear is always the first step to falling because it's the basest emotion and impairs the self-control the light brings.

The Sith have an idolatrous/heretical view of the Force in that they see the dark side as the answer to everything and eschew the light and balance as "weak" and end up becoming addicted to the material world. That's the point of the cave lesson, it's not so much the external dark side Luke has to worry about, it's falling to his own dark side and being ruled by his fear and desires that is the more immediate danger.

The old EU would sometimes get it wrong and treat them like D&D alignments, Lucas sought to rectify that with the Mortis and Yoda arcs in TCW and Luke's explanation in TLJ is consistent with Lucas' view