The Expanse - season three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
lsgreg
Officer

Re: The Expanse - season three

Post by lsgreg »

Madner Kami wrote:
lsgreg wrote:So the expanse is finally back! Look forward to discussing the new episodes again. I still haven't read the books, so I don't know where they will go in season three. I am just watching "The Frankenstein Chronicles" on Netflix with Sean Bean. That is pretty good. Not what I expected at all.
So I assume Sean Bean doesn't die for once, that's the expectation-killing twist?
No he dies at the end of season 1. Spoilers!!!! He returns in season 2 though.....
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

But he comes back as a woman... or is that another show I'm thinking of? Anyway I just wanna confirm the air date/time for the premiere. I have it as Wednesday April 11th (tomorrow) at 9PM EDT. Is that what everybody else has?
Thaeri
Redshirt

Post by Thaeri »

Madner Kami wrote:
lsgreg wrote:So the expanse is finally back! Look forward to discussing the new episodes again. I still haven't read the books, so I don't know where they will go in season three. I am just watching "The Frankenstein Chronicles" on Netflix with Sean Bean. That is pretty good. Not what I expected at all.
So I assume Sean Bean doesn't die for once, that's the expectation-killing twist?
From my understanding, he only dies in 1/3 of his appearances.

Now, I wonder if that is per character? Or per movie + individual episodes of TV series? Or do movie series count differently from TV ones?

For one, he went through 16 TV movies in the Sharpe series without dying. They're also technically movies, not episodes of a TV series. In Game of Thrones, he only lost his head at the end of the first season.

Does Richard Sharpe count as 1 surviving and Ned Stark as 1 death? Does Richard Sharpe count as 16 surviving and Ned Stark as 8 surviving plus 1 death? Does Richard Sharpe count as 16 surviving and Ned stark as 1 death?

--------------------

Edit: Sorry for the spoiler, but when you hire an actor known for dying on camera for an adaptation of a book series that is almost the epitome of "everyone can die", it's not really much of one, is it?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thaeri wrote:Does Richard Sharpe count as 1 surviving and Ned Stark as 1 death?
Imo, yes. It's character deaths that matter.
Thaeri wrote:Does Richard Sharpe count as 16 surviving and Ned stark as 1 death?
That is actually an interesting question. Sharpe survived against ridiculous odds quite often, so maybe the Meta-Sean Bean lost all his "9 lives" in these movies and is now just evening the odds again. Hm...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thaeri
Redshirt

Post by Thaeri »

Madner Kami wrote:
Thaeri wrote:Does Richard Sharpe count as 1 surviving and Ned Stark as 1 death?
Imo, yes. It's character deaths that matter.
Thaeri wrote:Does Richard Sharpe count as 16 surviving and Ned stark as 1 death?
That is actually an interesting question. Sharpe survived against ridiculous odds quite often, so maybe the Meta-Sean Bean lost all his "9 lives" in these movies and is now just evening the odds again. Hm...
In my book, it's about the character.

I'm not sure about the sort-of-official statistics however...
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

Nice season-opener. I guess martian coffee sucks. *edit* hey was that "Stewart" from Big Bang Theory?
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Yeah, I just watched the DVR from yesterday. I liked the episode and felt it was a good jumping point for the new season. It was also a good point to hopefully bring new viewers in if they didn't watch the first two seasons. I like where this is headed, but i am sure there will be a few twists in the future.
MadAmosMalone
Officer

Post by MadAmosMalone »

I like the show, love it even. What I find inexplicable is how SyFy expects people to find this show with only one airing a week. If they broadcast the show more than once a week I haven't seen it. Can't they spare one of the two slots of encore eps of Krypton for one for The Expanse?
lsgreg
Officer

Post by lsgreg »

Yeah, I am worried about the status of the show. I actually am rewatching season one and introduced a new person to the show. It seems like SyFy is putting all their advertisement resources into Krypton this Spring. They have a fanbase for the Expanse, but I don't think they know what they got.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The Expanse is a critical darling that hasn't attracted much of a mainstream audience.

Krypton strikes me as very likely to succeed the way Smallville did.

A very large shallowly invested audience.