Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

Post by hammerofglass »

I doubt he's doing a romance. In the first game he played up Tim being into Morrigan from the first time they met, but in this one he seems to actively hate all three remaining options. That might just be an artifact from having to start over when the XBox version was unstable and putting off the character arc stuff until part 3, though.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

He doesn't seem to hate Merrill. But who could? She is so adorable.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

*After watching Part 8*

Holy hell, Chuck! Talk about real life being stranger than fiction. So sorry all that got dumped on you on your birthday.

Yeesh, Dragon Age...
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

DA2 has cursed him!
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
goodperson25
Officer

Post by goodperson25 »

Now I feel a bit awkward about seeing this video as a birthday present.
rickgriffin
Officer

Post by rickgriffin »

*watches review*

Uh, you okay?

Actually I hate it when people ask ME that when I post something particularly impassioned, but it sounds like the move is as trying as the crappy awful game is.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Best. Review. Ever. I had a shitty weekend and my week isn't going to get much better either. This episode made me feel good. Thank you, Chuck, I love you.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

Chuck feels like the only pre establishede reviewer Iknow who

okay he is NOT pro gamergate. more those gamergate clashed with? the motive for the clash? reflects the thing he complained about the overall games media and journalists and all that did and had

I will admit total den of reactionary and yes alt right openness and everything. Got more into being angry than fairminded. totally flawed.

But aside from specific ones always pro ....most reviewers, it felt, had nothing but contempt for the overall fandom and.. .
I know it itsn't real life gaslighting but it FEELSlike that. Like you're in this situation you feel and notice and observe these things. And then people act like you are CRAZZZZZZY. totally bonkers and loco for not agreeing or just disagreeing or secretly evil or a million things

So its nice to have a respected longterm review voice say
"No its NOTyou, the games critics WEREacting like snobbish dismissive assholes and the product HADchanged and you had valid reasons for feeling this and whys. That doesn't justify abuse or anything but you aren't just imagining it"

Incidentally between this game, chuck's review of it, ANDthe recent Strong Female Protagonist webcomic it seems the electronic media generation really REALLYwants to talk about smart things in a stupid way. And its a stupid way because, well what Chuck pointed out about both negative extremes and the piecemeal storytelling and glitches and what have you.

Only other reviewer I know this harsh with hints of being this analytical is Razorfist. And hes of the "be as loud and crude and tweak your nose as possible" with the occasional reference to twitter chains I'm expected to follow to get his more nuanced and elaborated views
Last edited by Darmani on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

This is your third worst birthday ever? Um... SF, don't go on any away mission in a gold shirt. I don't want to see you eaten alive via rouge alien cells.

We don't need your life going full Harry Kim.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Man. Sorry to hear you're experiencing such problems, Chuck. If it helps to comiserate, I bought my condo as a work-in-progress at peak bubble in 2007 ("I don't want to get priced out of the market!"), then took a 35% pay cut after the crash in 2008 and could no longer afford to make the intended renovations. I'd gradually saved up money afterwards to make the renovations... then shelled out $15k on a special assessment to pay for a bunch of much-needed building repairs. So I share in your homeowner's blues!

Anyway, as much as I agree with all the main points Chuck makes about DA2 (they actually line up almost exactly with a post I made earlier in the thread, before Part 2 was published), I actually didn't hate the game. I still enjoyed Varric, Isabella, Merril, and Avelline's company enough that I could still enjoy it despite the flaws. I haven't replayed it like I have DA:O, but I can see what they were trying for and accept it for what it is.