STar Trek Voyager - False Profits

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

STar Trek Voyager - False Profits

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Seaward
Redshirt

Re: STar Trek Voyager - False Profits

Post by Seaward »

I'm not going to lie, I don't think I can really fault Neelix for cowering in front of two Ferengi, considering he was (as far as I can tell) unarmed, and the Ferengi had swords.

The security officer is less forgivable, though.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 pm http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v844.php

Nice jab at a certain site.
I was wondering if Chuck would ever joke about CA. Although I must admit I don't think comparing them to Ferengi works as from what I read on the Channel Awesome document doing the rounds, most of their (alleged) worst moments were due to incompetence and maliciousness, not greed.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Seaward wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 pm I'm not going to lie, I don't think I can really fault Neelix for cowering in front of two Ferengi, considering he was (as far as I can tell) unarmed, and the Ferengi had swords.

I was thinking that. I would cower from two little girls if they had massive swords and I was unarmed.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Concerning the Prime Directive, this clearly seems like a situation where the PD would advocate getting involved. The spirit of the PD is being violated by having a pre-warp civilization being dicked with. Obviously anything you do is also going to be interference, but things are already off the rails. If you can lance the boil, just do that and try to let them pick things back up.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i hope they also beamed up the replicator and the device so they didn't leave dangerous tech in the hands of a bronze age people.

also why didn't they go after the end that was still near them. even if both sides are now unstable the other ones still some where in the alpha quadrent if you catch up and get through your still a good chunk of the way home -unless those 2 idiots just died flying into it

also i think there is a reason for why these two aren't doing what you suggest chuck. Their idiots, their bad at business, thats why they where toddies for someone else he had the plan -they where just hired help. which i think is a factor not every one of them is going to be a good businessman many businesses go bust in the first year. i don't see why they are immune to this so while they may be in business that doesn't mean their good at it

plus a lot of the ROA are not about good business but about getting the most for yourself. so dishonest and bad at business isn't impossible look at the world how many idiots who rob places blind after they buy it as part of corporate raiding like those idiots who bought marvel back in the 90s
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

One thing that always bothered me about this episode: Why is that Neelix is the natural choice to play a Ferengi? He's only chosen for out-of-universe reasons I think-Ethan Phillips had previously played a Ferengi. But for the logic of the characters, their choice for someone to play a convincing Ferengi is a man who has no first-hand knowledge of the Ferengi. Why isn't this Tom Paris or Chakotay going down there in disguise, from the logic of the show?
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

bronnt wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm One thing that always bothered me about this episode: Why is that Neelix is the natural choice to play a Ferengi? He's only chosen for out-of-universe reasons I think-Ethan Phillips had previously played a Ferengi. But for the logic of the characters, their choice for someone to play a convincing Ferengi is a man who has no first-hand knowledge of the Ferengi. Why isn't this Tom Paris or Chakotay going down there in disguise, from the logic of the show?
Starfleet forbids cruel and unusual treatment of its crew members and even Janeway has her limits.

Neelix isn't crew though.
BlackoutCreature2
Officer

Post by BlackoutCreature2 »

bronnt wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 pm One thing that always bothered me about this episode: Why is that Neelix is the natural choice to play a Ferengi? He's only chosen for out-of-universe reasons I think-Ethan Phillips had previously played a Ferengi. But for the logic of the characters, their choice for someone to play a convincing Ferengi is a man who has no first-hand knowledge of the Ferengi. Why isn't this Tom Paris or Chakotay going down there in disguise, from the logic of the show?
I would think a six foot tall Ferengi showing up would kind of give away the plan.
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm
Seaward wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:50 pm I'm not going to lie, I don't think I can really fault Neelix for cowering in front of two Ferengi, considering he was (as far as I can tell) unarmed, and the Ferengi had swords.

I was thinking that. I would cower from two little girls if they had massive swords and I was unarmed.
So, I think an excerpt from this video by historical YouTuber Skallagrim is relevant.

"This is the ultimate knife defense technique. Put your hands up like this... |_o_| ...and then... Execute: Operation GTFO"