Transformers "Beast Wars": The Spark

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Transformers "Beast Wars": The Spark

Post by CrypticMirror »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/beastwars15.php

I don't really have much to say about the episode itself (Trukk not Munky!!) but that Chuck brings up how only the Quintessons could restore Optimus Prime to life and I still have no idea how Eric Idle managed to bring Ultra Magnus back to life in the same movie when he got sploded and Optimus only got stabbed and shot holes into. Why!?

I joke about the Trukk not Munky bit, btw, I was just at the wrong age when Beast Wars came out. Too old to watch the show but too young to watch out of nostalgia like I've done with TF:P and the IDW comics (More Than Meets The Eye/Lost Light is brilliant, and yet to be ruined by the Broverse). So while Chuck's reviews are interesting for his snarking, it is really just the snarking and the memes which have me watching.

Thank you, Chuck :)
BirdofPrey
Redshirt

Re: Transformers "Beast Wars": The Spark

Post by BirdofPrey »

I tend to put this episode into the decent category. It's enjoyable enough, but it's not fantastic, so for me, the main relevance of "The Spark" is the concept of the spark as a transformer's soul that has carried on into later works. I will agree, sometimes it's odd how dead and blown up don't really mesh well, and that's something that affects most of the Transformer's works

As for nostalgia, I grew up watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines then Transformer's Armada, and Energon, and while I hold some nostalgia for all of them (the gimicks for the Armada and Energon toys were kinda neat), I think the only one that actually remains watchable now that I am older is Beast Wars (no amount of nostalgia will make a bad show good)
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

When a spark comes online, there is great joy.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

It's an okay episode. Probably a bit weaker in the grand scheme of things coz Airazor ends up doing even less than Tigatron (At least Tigatron got to have an episode about him (Law of the Jungle), Airazor never even got that much.)
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

CrypticMirror wrote: only the Quintessons could restore Optimus Prime to life and I still have no idea how Eric Idle managed to bring Ultra Magnus back to life in the same movie when he got sploded and Optimus only got stabbed and shot holes into. Why!?
Rossum's Trinity: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rossum%27s_Trinity
Okay that wasn't a thing then (then again Sparks weren't a thing until Beast Wars) but it's probably the closest to an explanation we have; Megatron must have got a lucky hit in on Prime and Magnus got lucky and the blasts missed all his. Prime himself came back from being dismembered and turned into a robocroc in an earlier episode so there's precident I guess. Could also be an artefact of how the script changed iirc originally Magnus was supposed to be quartered by being pulled apart by Sweeps, but that got changed for being too graphic.

Don't know why, but for some reason I was expecting the episode where Starscream shows up when I saw the title 'The Spark' :oops:
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

Ghilz wrote:It's an okay episode. Probably a bit weaker in the grand scheme of things coz Airazor ends up doing even less than Tigatron (At least Tigatron got to have an episode about him (Law of the Jungle), Airazor never even got that much.)
She does quite a bit in the rest of the first season but yeah she never gets an episode that examines her character. Still better than the manga in which her character can be summed up as "is in love with Tigatron".
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

CareerKnight wrote:
Ghilz wrote:It's an okay episode. Probably a bit weaker in the grand scheme of things coz Airazor ends up doing even less than Tigatron (At least Tigatron got to have an episode about him (Law of the Jungle), Airazor never even got that much.)
She does quite a bit in the rest of the first season but yeah she never gets an episode that examines her character. Still better than the manga in which her character can be summed up as "is in love with Tigatron".
*facedesk*
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The hilarious thing is the Japanese version of Air Razor is Male.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Yeah didn't the Japanese dub team turn her into the Robin to Tigatron's Batman and had to kept that up even after their relationship developed into a romantic one in the original English until they got to the episode Airazor and Tigatron die in and finally gave up and admitted they'd accidentally made the first gay transformer couple.
Megabob452
Redshirt

Post by Megabob452 »

Dînadan wrote: Don't know why, but for some reason I was expecting the episode where Starscream shows up when I saw the title 'The Spark' :oops:
I thought that too until I looked up the episode. I guess that since the premise of "Possession" is Starscream's spark possessing Waspinator, it readily comes to mind when thinking about transformer sparks.