Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Re: Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

CrypticMirror wrote:
I agree, if anything the problem was more that the Dominion and the Female Changeling had overshadowed Dukat as the Evilest Villains to ever Evil and so he looked less evil by comparison because he was obviously being used as a tool by the Dominion. Marc Alaimo's charisma clearly made him memorable so with that and Dukat being overshadowed and played for a fool by the Dominion his nastier side seemed less prominent.
It's worth noting that for at least some viewers (Weyoun fangirls, ahem), it was actually the opposite. You saw Dukat and Damar chomping at the bit to go occupy Bajor again, and as Chuck so wonderfully puts it, "Weyoun hits him with a rolled up newspaper and makes him smell what he just did." A lot of people took that to heart. It's not uncommon, at all, in fan works for Dukat to lose all of any shade of sympathy and just be a brute barely contained by a definitely completely upstanding Weyoun.

The moral of the story is: DS9 had complicated power dynamics and moral alignments and when fans try to flatten them out, weird things happen.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

You thought so? To me, it was Weyoun, if anyone, who kept coming across as the nice guy on the Council of Doom, despite the fact that you knew he was actually an evil SOB who wanted to kill all of Earth's population and brutally enslave everyone else.

(edit: sorry, didn't see there was a page 2! FGG pretty much beat me to it)
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

Durandal_1707 wrote:You thought so? To me, it was Weyoun, if anyone, who kept coming across as the nice guy on the Council of Doom, despite the fact that you knew he was actually an evil SOB who wanted to kill all of Earth's population and brutally enslave everyone else.

It helps that his niceness does come across as at least somewhat genuine. Whether that's because he's very good at pretending or because he's just really that affably evil is up for debate. He really does seem to want to be everyone's friend (as long as you're not defying the will of the Founders).
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:You thought so? To me, it was Weyoun, if anyone, who kept coming across as the nice guy on the Council of Doom, despite the fact that you knew he was actually an evil SOB who wanted to kill all of Earth's population and brutally enslave everyone else.

It helps that his niceness does come across as at least somewhat genuine. Whether that's because he's very good at pretending or because he's just really that affably evil is up for debate. He really does seem to want to be everyone's friend (as long as you're not defying the will of the Founders).
Haha, I remember when it first ran. I was a teenager at the time, watching it with my little brother, who was definitely on the "Weyoun's a nice guy" side of the fence. I'd be like, dude, he wants to kill everybody! "But he's a nice guy!" :D

BTW: off topic I know, but I'm curious: What's the "Fake" in your name mean? Are you not actually a geek, not actually a girl, or are you a doctored holo-recording? :D
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

FakeGeekGirl wrote: What do you guys think? Did you like this one or agree with me it's terrible or something in-between?
What little potential there was in the episode was squashed by the rest. As Chuck said, Kira had already learned the occupation had some gray on both sides already and as for the "comfort women", yeah.....
FakeGeekGirl wrote:(Or else he realizes he should have overruled Dukat's decision not to destroy Sisko before he could get into the wormhole, but I'm going to pretend it's this one.)
Dukat didn't decide not to fire on the Defiant, they couldn't cause the weapons had been disabled by Rom.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

CareerKnight wrote:
Dukat didn't decide not to fire on the Defiant, they couldn't cause the weapons had been disabled by Rom.
But they had a chance to stop him earlier by diverting some ships to catch the Defiant but Dukat was all like, "If Sisko wants to commit suicide, let him." Had they done that and those ships succeeded in stopping the Defiant, or even just slowing it down long enough, there would have been no intervention from the Prophets, Dominion gets their reinforcements and almost certainly wins the war (unless the Prophets could be convinced to intervene later of course).
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

Durandal_1707 wrote:
BTW: off topic I know, but I'm curious: What's the "Fake" in your name mean? Are you not actually a geek, not actually a girl, or are you a doctored holo-recording? :D
I used to be accused of being a fake geek girl or a bandwagon fan since I wasn't really into superhero stuff until the Nolanverse and MCU, and while I read some comics I'm still not a connoisseur of them but I love the movies and cartoons. I also had a very impressionable moment when I was a kid with being called a fake fan by members of my own family ... because I didn't want to see the Harry Potter movies anymore because they weren't as good as the books. Actually I still get that now because even though I love superhero stuff when it's good I don't love every single individual movie and television show that comes out and my hatred of one show in particular is legendary in certain circles. Somehow being exacting made me not a true fan, I guess. So I just kind of took the name and ran with it.

I don't usually get that with Trek fandom because I grew up with it and am familiar with a lot of the material, and Trekkies seem more open to not everyone has to like everything lol. Just because someone's not a Niner doesn't mean they're not a Trekkie, just because someone didn't like Voyager doesn't mean they're not a Trekkie, just because someone thinks TOS is too dated to enjoy doesn't mean they're not a Trekkie. Pretty much the only time I see the "no true fan!" bull crap come up is in regards to NuTrek.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Jeez Louise! Posting the same huge spam post five times in a row is a wrong darker than death or night, if anything is.
Last edited by Durandal_1707 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:
CareerKnight wrote:
But they had a chance to stop him earlier by diverting some ships to catch the Defiant but Dukat was all like, "If Sisko wants to commit suicide, let him." Had they done that and those ships succeeded in stopping the Defiant, or even just slowing it down long enough, there would have been no intervention from the Prophets, Dominion gets their reinforcements and almost certainly wins the war (unless the Prophets could be convinced to intervene later of course).
As of SoA, the Prophets were still being portrayed according to the original game plan, in which their powers were limited to inside the wormhole (as opposed to the post-"Reckoning" stuff where they could pretty much do whatever they wanted). So once the wormhole was out of play because the Dominion ships were all in the AQ already, it probably wouldn't have mattered if they wanted to intervene or not.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:Pretty much the only time I see the "no true fan!" bull crap come up is in regards to NuTrek.
Sheesh. I know Simon Pegg isn't a true Scotsman, but neither was Doohan!