Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Re: Dragon Age II: EA boogaloo

Post by AlucardNoir »

GandALF wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 pm
AlucardNoir wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:23 pm The games are written from the modern perspective and set in a "pre-modern" setting. And if the way the media has been treating Kingdom come Deliverance is any indication, things are extremely unlikely to change.
There are reasons for a lot of the anachronisms i.e. woman are allowed to be warriors and priests because of Andraste (who is based on Joan of Arc) not because of any modern ideas of equality.
Ironically enough that's not really where I was going with that but sure. Let's discuss why women weren't soldiers and worriers usually.

Actually, on second thought, let's not. If anyone doesn't know why women where soldiers and worriers so rarely that when they were historians and chroniclers recorded it for posterity they'll only get angry and there's no need to bring that here.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

Alinis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:31 pm I do agree that it was rather disappointing it might have been better the main villain a clearer open threat earlier so instead of the civil war ending as they did it have both sides be forced to pull a enemy mine and struggling together against the greater threat while leaving the underlying issues unresolved so perhaps they could properly devote a full game to the Mage-Templar war later with more nuance than what we got.
Considering Inq was billed as the Mage-Templar war, having the game then delay the issue even further is arguably the only thing worse that they could have done besides what they ended up doing.
thisithis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:52 pm Saw Chucks latest review and him saying that Ea learned from the train wreck of DA2. But they didn't, in fact, they got worst. Yes, DA3 was better then Da2, but then we got Mass Effect: Andromeda came out and it was worst then DA2.
The only part EA had in Andromeda's failing was insisting on the Frostbyte engine (which is suppose to be a nightmare to work on if you're making anything but a FPS), I lay the majority of failings with that game squarely at Bioware's feet. They did not give a damn about that game. They poached practically everyone with talent (including anyone who had any understanding of the Frostbyte engine) off of it to work on their other projects, including the original head writer before they had even finished the story. Bioware didn't seem to get that just because they didn't care about making another Mass Effect game at the moment didn't mean they should care so little about it's success or impact it would have on their reputation and their franchise.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Rhianna Pratchett was interested in Lara Croft's friends and family. Everyone else is only interested in her adventures.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CareerKnight wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 pmConsidering Inq was billed as the Mage-Templar war, having the game then delay the issue even further is arguably the only thing worse that they could have done besides what they ended up doing.
All the endings are basically, "The Mages set up an independent college but the Templars don't like that."
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:31 pm
CareerKnight wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 pmConsidering Inq was billed as the Mage-Templar war, having the game then delay the issue even further is arguably the only thing worse that they could have done besides what they ended up doing.
All the endings are basically, "The Mages set up an independent college but the Templars don't like that."
Really, none of the endings I saw had hostility between the templars and mage but a number of endings had hostility among the mages themselves towards each other not the which not surprising given the hostility and bad blood between the loyalists and rebel mages.

A large part of that resentment I suspect was largely fueled by the rebel policy of murder any mage that don't agree with them to 'free' them in death business. Wither there is a new circle or two rival mage organizations there are mentions of a shadow war among the mages in any of the mage ending cards.

The Templars meanwhile if you cure Cullen and recruit them the templars devote themselves to protecting people rather than keeping mages prisoners 'for their own good' either as a new templar order, as a part of the seekers or as a completely new knightly order.

Then of course if the templars are are conscripted they either completely dissolve the order to remain with the inquisition, leave to become mercenaries or join the imperial army or while some return many refuse to return to Templar order instead electing to remain with the Inquisition.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Alinis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:59 pmReally, none of the endings I saw had hostility between the templars and mage but a number of endings had hostility among the mages themselves towards each other not the which not surprising given the hostility and bad blood between the loyalists and rebel mages.
I think that's because Vivienne refuses to accept free mages and Fiona is the reverse.
A large part of that resentment I suspect was largely fueled by the rebel policy of murder any mage that don't agree with them to 'free' them in death business. Wither there is a new circle or two rival mage organizations there are mentions of a shadow war among the mages in any of the mage ending cards.
I don't think there was much fighting on that end, though DRAGON AGE: ASUNDER casts the Loyalists in a very dark light because they all agreed that they would abide by the decision of the First Enchanter's Conclave vote for independence whether to surrender or ally. Wynne was meant to be the deciding vote but her son Rhys is the one who ended up casting her vote instead (because she was dead by that period).

Vivienne clearly doesn't consider any vote binding if it doesn't go her way.

She's really a despicable character.
The Templars meanwhile if you cure Cullen and recruit them the templars devote themselves to protecting people rather than keeping mages prisoners 'for their own good' either as a new templar order, as a part of the seekers or as a completely new knightly order.
I'm not sure that is much of a credit to the Templars as that follows the massive number of them ending up becoming Red Templars and getting slaughtered. Unlike the mages who all get brainwashed if you don't help them, large amounts of the order got turned evil no matter what.
Then of course if the templars are are conscripted they either completely dissolve the order to remain with the inquisition, leave to become mercenaries or join the imperial army or while some return many refuse to return to Templar order instead electing to remain with the Inquisition.
I kind of regret not having the option of saving the mages and dissolving the Templars but I am Mageneto.
Alinis
Redshirt

Post by Alinis »

If you recall though with the templars was that many if not most were tricked into taking the red lyrium which isn't any better than being brainwashed by dark magic given what that stuff does to people or worse they were force fed it when they weren't flat out slaughtered if you don't recruit them.

In both cases what is truly horrifying is both the templars and mages are recruited as very young children which means most you had children getting brainwashed with the mages or force fed red lyrium among the Templars by the main villain's agents.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

I was disappointed I didn't have the choice to resolve both sides of the conflict, especially after seeing which each choice involves. It's rather annoying to know that I can only get the Mages or the Templars, not both. I mean, come on guys, let me go on both missions! One of them is literally resolved in NO time at all. Like an hour, tops. We can head on over to the Templars now! Come on! Instead I can only pick either to recruit the mages or dissolve the Templars, but one way or the other I leave one group to get brainwashed or mutated. That's kinda bullcrap when it comes to resolving the conflict that started in Kirkwall. I only deal with half the issue.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Alinis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm If you recall though with the templars was that many if not most were tricked into taking the red lyrium which isn't any better than being brainwashed by dark magic given what that stuff does to people or worse they were force fed it when they weren't flat out slaughtered if you don't recruit them.
Most people probably don't actually know that. You only find out if you choose to ally with the Templars over the Mages. In a mage ally playthrough the only red templar you ever talk to is Samson, and he's utterly gung-ho about it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

mathewgsmith wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 am
Alinis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm If you recall though with the templars was that many if not most were tricked into taking the red lyrium which isn't any better than being brainwashed by dark magic given what that stuff does to people or worse they were force fed it when they weren't flat out slaughtered if you don't recruit them.
Most people probably don't actually know that. You only find out if you choose to ally with the Templars over the Mages. In a mage ally playthrough the only red templar you ever talk to is Samson, and he's utterly gung-ho about it.
Cullen also finds some other volunteers for Red Lyrium like the guy who manned the boat in Fereldan.