Deep space nine: Defiant

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
drewder
Officer

Re: Deep space nine: Defiant

Post by drewder »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 pm
drewder wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:10 am One problem with modern trek is that when they're coming up with a new series idea instead of saying how can we write a compelling story they ask how many SJW check boxes can we check off.
Yeah, like when TOS included an Asian, a Russian, and a black woman as main characters for no reason. And the original pilot even had a woman as second in command! What a bunch of SJW checklist nonsense.
My problem is that Asian, Russian, or black woman, is not a character trait it is a external characteristic. Nobody looked at Kirk or Picard as the white guy and nobody expected their characters to be defined by their whiteness. The same was true of Sisko they didn't write him as the Black captain they wrote him as the captain who happened to be black. Janeway they didn't do that with and so she was always the lady captain rather than the captain who happened to be a lady. Chakotey never really had much character beyond Indian.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

What looks like "SJW check boxes" to you is, for some people, just their basic lived reality. Right now I'm living with a jewish polysexual hispanic agender person in the house.

When cis able-bodied white guy is boring or badly written, he's just a bad character. When a black lesbian is badly written, it's "SJW pandering" and "political correctness is ruining our show!"
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:15 am What looks like "SJW check boxes" to you is, for some people, just their basic lived reality. Right now I'm living with a jewish polysexual hispanic agender person in the house.

When cis able-bodied white guy is boring or badly written, he's just a bad character. When a black lesbian is badly written, it's "SJW pandering" and "political correctness is ruining our show!"
Ok, when you decided to look for a roommate did you say you needed a jewish polysexual hispanic agender person in the house? Or did you say you needed a roommate and the one you found just happened to have all those characteristics.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

drewder wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 2:15 am What looks like "SJW check boxes" to you is, for some people, just their basic lived reality. Right now I'm living with a jewish polysexual hispanic agender person in the house.

Ok, when you decided to look for a roommate did you say you needed a jewish polysexual hispanic agender person in the house? Or did you say you needed a roommate and the one you found just happened to have all those characteristics.
The housemate found me, they are the leaseholder. And it's in west philly, so pretty much everyone there is queer.

The difference is that, I have to find a roomate, whereas the writers can create whatever character they want. And for a long-ass time that has tended to be unintenionally framed as "A cis white straight person". It still mostly is.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville