TNG - Marina Sirtis talks about the costume design

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: TNG - Marina Sirtis talks about the costume design

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

clearspira wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 am I coincidentally saw this the other day too. It is a good and kind of sad insight into the production.

I feel like Troi is a real missed opportunity. Maybe she was too nice? Maybe they needed more women writers on staff? Had to be the guy who points to sexism and sighs, but when you look at the cloths and recall all of Gene's bullshit...
I hate to be ''that guy'' but wasn't she hired to be the T'Pol or Seven of Nine of this series? Boobs in a catsuit with an excuse characterization for being there. And a lot of her roles before Star Trek were of the same mold. I kind of suspect she knew what she was getting into, and if she didn't, she surely soon did.
My issue isn't, "They took advantage of the actress."
My issue is, "This is bad writing and a waste of a character."

You can say, "She knew what she was getting into." But that is beside the point. There shouldn't have been anything to get into, because they shouldn't have done such a shit job with the writing.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:18 pm I hate to be ''that guy'' but wasn't she hired to be the T'Pol or Seven of Nine of this series? Boobs in a catsuit with an excuse characterization for being there. And a lot of her roles before Star Trek were of the same mold. I kind of suspect she knew what she was getting into, and if she didn't, she surely soon did.
Most likely, but I guess it was a job. IIRC (and someone correct me if I've got this wrong) Denise Crosby was initially down for the Troi role but didn't want to just be a pair of tits. Seven and T'Pol were even more blatant but at least Seven was a decent character anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like a nice view, but when it's so gratuitous it makes the whole design look set up by a horny teenager. Miranda in Mass Effect 2 was just a facepalm as soon as she appeared on screen.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Of course, there's an issue where she talks about the cleavage/brains dichotomy: she's got no cleavage showing in "Encounter at Farpoint" and she emotes like a barely functioning teenager.

I was also very happy with HER having the line in Timescape talking about Romulan engines. It seemed like a continuity reference to the fact that she's the only character in the show who served on a Romulan ship. Sure, she's not going to be THE expert, but she probably picked up a few things, and as a character it makes sense that Troi wants to demonstrate to the tech squad that she knows something.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Riedquat wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:31 pm Don't get me wrong, I like a nice view, but when it's so gratuitous it makes the whole design look set up by a horny teenager. Miranda in Mass Effect 2 was just a facepalm as soon as she appeared on screen.
Miranda but not Jack?
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:54 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:31 pm Don't get me wrong, I like a nice view, but when it's so gratuitous it makes the whole design look set up by a horny teenager. Miranda in Mass Effect 2 was just a facepalm as soon as she appeared on screen.
Miranda but not Jack?
Fair question. Certainly Miranda's whole physique was ridiculously over the top. I felt that Jack's appearance at least fitted her character sufficiently that despite her outfit she never came across as sexualised to me. Might just be because I'm not keen on tatoos though.
Mad-Man-with-a-Box
Redshirt

Post by Mad-Man-with-a-Box »

Miranda isn't the worst for that, the reporter based on Jessica Chabot in ME3, that one was where I faced palmed.

Part of the problem too with Tori's role was she was clearly doing a civillian job but in an military-like organization. Since they went with the whole idea of having families on the Enterprise-D, why didn't they just make her character a civillian? Picard occasionally brings her in thanks to her background (daughter of a diplomat) for negotations and such, but more in the role of a consulant. Otherwise, she's a therapist on a ship full of civillians who need those services. It only gets in the way in latter seasons where Troi (I presume from Marina wanting to do more) starts to act more like an officer. But for most of TNG my alternate set up works.
All of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever was...where do you want to start? -The Doctor
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Mad-Man-with-a-Box wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:46 pm
Miranda isn't the worst for that, the reporter based on Jessica Chabot in ME3, that one was where I faced palmed.
I'd forgotten about her (thanks for reminding me). If they wanted an onboard reporter it should've been Emily Wong.
Lizuka
Officer

Post by Lizuka »

There's definitely a lot they could have done to make Troi a lot more functional as a character than she was, but I do kind of feel like it was a losing endeavor to begin with having a psychic counselor be a main character. Probably should have either given the character some additional purpose or specialty or, alternatively, had used her as more of a recurring side character in the vein of someone like O'Brien.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Riedquat wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:20 am I'd forgotten about her (thanks for reminding me). If they wanted an onboard reporter it should've been Emily Wong.
That wouldn't work; Shepard keeps punching her.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
proporRocket
Redshirt

Post by proporRocket »

Lizuka wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:52 am There's definitely a lot they could have done to make Troi a lot more functional as a character than she was, but I do kind of feel like it was a losing endeavor to begin with having a psychic counselor be a main character. Probably should have either given the character some additional purpose or specialty or, alternatively, had used her as more of a recurring side character in the vein of someone like O'Brien.
Given her job description, She should have spent most of her on-duty time in her office dealing with the mental health of the 1,000+ people on board. She should have been part of the medical staff not a bridge officer.

At least in the Titan books they changed her job to Diplomatic Officer to give her some reason to be on the bridge.