Voyager: 11:59

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Re: Voyager: 11:59

Post by AlucardNoir »

clearspira wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:34 pm
bluebydefault wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 am I like when tv shows do take kind of a risk and get out of their wheel house some. Thats what I think of this episode. Kate Mulgrew and the love interest actor had chemistry but yea he was pretty old and the son was really young too. Like the kid should have been his grandson.

I think the only thing I didn't like was that she seemed snotty that her ancestor wasn't what she thought. It might have been nicer for her to find really appreciate her past more.
People give Chuck stick for his over the top Parody Janeway character, but so often she is the only way to explain away Canon Janeway's actions. Imagine if this was you, would you honestly be that bothered over an ancestor that lived three hundred years before you were even born? By our standards, we're talking 17th to 18th century depending on how old you are. Its absurd.
For Parody Janeway on the other hand though, it makes perfect sense that she would be ashamed by an ancestor that wasn't awesome because she is a narcissist and thus it taints her otherwise perfect blood.
There is a reason after all why Kate Mulgrew is on record as saying that she thought Janeway had some form of schizophrenia given how far her characterization bounced each week.
SJW's will disagree with you on that. Not all people are actually mentally sound. Janeways depiction is unfortunately one we can find all to easily nowadays.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

And on the topic of rose-tinted spectacles, 99% of the past was, for the most part, absolutely God-awful for anyone that wasn't rich and powerful.
Living in the present pretty much sucks if you're not rich and powerful. Doubly so with the fools we currently have running this ball of mud.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

AlucardNoir wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 am
bluebydefault wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 am I like when tv shows do take kind of a risk and get out of their wheel house some. Thats what I think of this episode. Kate Mulgrew and the love interest actor had chemistry but yea he was pretty old and the son was really young too. Like the kid should have been his grandson.

I think the only thing I didn't like was that she seemed snotty that her ancestor wasn't what she thought. It might have been nicer for her to find really appreciate her past more.
People give Chuck stick for his over the top Parody Janeway character, but so often she is the only way to explain away Canon Janeway's actions. Imagine if this was you, would you honestly be that bothered over an ancestor that lived three hundred years before you were even born? By our standards, we're talking 17th to 18th century depending on how old you are. Its absurd.
For Parody Janeway on the other hand though, it makes perfect sense that she would be ashamed by an ancestor that wasn't awesome because she is a narcissist and thus it taints her otherwise perfect blood.
There is a reason after all why Kate Mulgrew is on record as saying that she thought Janeway had some form of schizophrenia given how far her characterization bounced each week.
SJW's will disagree with you on that. Not all people are actually mentally sound. Janeways depiction is unfortunately one we can find all to easily nowadays.
I don't want to start another dumb, overdone political debate but I don't see where you're getting this from. Technically speaking I am what you would probably call an SJW and I fully understand that many people are not 'mentally sound' and that mental illness is a much more serious and prevalent issue than most people take it for. With all due respect I've found that the kind of people who repeatedly complain about SJW's are more likely to think like Janeway on this sort of issue, they want to believe that they are of 'pure blood' and belong to a 'master race.' :P
PapaPalpatine wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 am
And on the topic of rose-tinted spectacles, 99% of the past was, for the most part, absolutely God-awful for anyone that wasn't rich and powerful.
Living in the present pretty much sucks if you're not rich and powerful. Doubly so with the fools we currently have running this ball of mud.
For most people in the world, you're right and yes it's been that way for a long, long time, but I'm nowhere near rich and powerful and I've managed to carve out an alright life for myself, as have many of my friends. I don't believe in that 'manifest destiny' crap but I do believe that life is about finding out what makes you feel truly content, whilst trying to balance all the other aspects of maintaining your own life, whatever side of the wealth spectrum you're on.

Admittedly if you're wealthy and 'connected' this will be much easier for you. :P
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 am
Compared to a few hundred years ago, lifespans are up, crime is down, and even war is down around the world. We have more leisure time and, in a materialistic sense, a very high standard of living compared to the past. I won't address non-materialistic senses because they're too subjective. We even name our babies without waiting to see whether they'll live more than a few months or not.

Of course we also have YouTube comments. So, six on one hand, half a dozen on the other?

I can't say that life doesn't suck, because we all have our own barometer of how much suction there has to be for suckiness to have officially occurred, and it's not my place to decide that for anyone. But if life sucks now, it sucked harder in most of the past in most ways I can think of.

We can overdo optimism (though this never happens to me for some reason...) but we can overdo pessimism as well. If we not only see the glass as half empty, but think that every proton in there is just going to decay anyway, then how much do you really have to look forward to? And why change things, when the new status quo is just going to suck, anyway?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I would say it's fair to say that a life in the time before plumbing the suck factor is probably quite high in comparison to the life of someone who has the access and time to comment on a sci-fi review discussion board.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Robovski wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:18 pm I would say it's fair to say that a life in the time before plumbing the suck factor is probably quite high in comparison to the life of someone who has the access and time to comment on a sci-fi review discussion board.
But seriously, what have the Romans ever done for us?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

bronnt wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:38 pm
Robovski wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:18 pm I would say it's fair to say that a life in the time before plumbing the suck factor is probably quite high in comparison to the life of someone who has the access and time to comment on a sci-fi review discussion board.
But seriously, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Provided inspiration for a Star Trek episode about Spock and McCoy in jail?
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

So I have one question because I have neither seen nor will likely see this episode at any point in the future:

Why is it called 11:59?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Eishtmo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:59 pm So I have one question because I have neither seen nor will likely see this episode at any point in the future:

Why is it called 11:59?
Pure impression on my part but 11:59 is a minute to noon or a minute to midnight. I took it for midnight, and New Year's Eve and the turn from 200 to 2001 was part of the show.
ladygem91
Redshirt

Post by ladygem91 »

In Janeway's defense, if you know who your ancestors are by name, that far back, there tends to be a lot of family mythology attached. In my family, for instance, I have a 17th century ancestor who was one of the first settlers of Detroit and an 18th century ancestor who was a delegate to the Constitutional convention, although not one with that much name recognition. If I were to find out that they just sort of blundered their way into their positions, it wouldn't ruin my life but I would be a bit disappointed. Janeway clearly has grown up with stories about her ancestor and put her on a pedestal, and it always hurts a bit when pedestals fall.