Transformers "Beast Wars": The Spark

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Transformers "Beast Wars": The Spark

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Beast Wars is, overall, still worth watching even without nostalgia attached. The first season is kind of weak, but the second season is pretty solid all around.

ANd then of course there's Reboot where Season 3 was amaaaaaazing...
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

RobbyB1982 wrote:Beast Wars is, overall, still worth watching even without nostalgia attached. The first season is kind of weak, but the second season is pretty solid all around.

And then there's the sequel Beast Machines and the less said about that the better.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Dînadan wrote:
RobbyB1982 wrote:Beast Wars is, overall, still worth watching even without nostalgia attached. The first season is kind of weak, but the second season is pretty solid all around.

And then there's the sequel Beast Machines and the less said about that the better.
Beast Machine, on its own, is a fine show. Pretty solid.

Where Beast Machine fails is as a follow up to Beast Wars, where no one retains their personality and the show has almost no thematic links to Beast Wars. Only Cheetor makes it out of Beast Machine with his dignity intact coz he's the only one for whom the show feels like a continuation of his character arc. Everyone else might as well be an entirely new character with the same name.

But if you watch Beast Machine as a Standalone show, it's damn good. the CGI mostly holds up. If the textures were just higher resolution, it'd look better than a lot of the CGI stuff from today. Also, for a show with an Environmental message, it has an amazingly balanced message. It avoids the whole "Fuck technology" that a lot of shows - even Trek, fall into.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Ghilz wrote: I love IDW but I am not sure I'd point to them as an "Exploration of gender identity, sexual interactions, and long term romantic relationships in a robot civilization".
Yeah, when I read back what I wrote it seems like too strong a terminology, and your explanation was a little more specific and better.

My brain might be a little tired.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Beast machines' problem is it takes the character to places rather inorganically'pun intended' and needs about a season before most 'NOT all' of the returning characters are about the right blend of their original character and new character arcs

Cheetor works the best cause instead of reducing him back to his season 1 kid, they instead have him be his more young adult self and much more openly question Optimus' decision making. Basically they use the reset in a unique way to step 1 the relationship without losing all the development.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Kilo
Redshirt

Post by Kilo »

Oh huh. I genuinely took your snow leopard comment from last time as a joke (akin to how in the plinkett reviews they keep calling Jango Fett 'Boba Fett') about how obviously it wasn't a snow leopard because of its stripes and face that looks more tigerlike than that of a snow leopard. My mistake.

Not that I'm complaining, I always enjoy when you go into wild tangents :lol:
CareerKnight
Officer

Post by CareerKnight »

Beastro wrote: I often wonder if a semi-remake could be doable, preserving the old dialogue and adding some new stuff in (IIRC, none of the VAs have died AFAIK) along with some new episodes to give a lot of stuff more time to be worked on, Airazor and a lot that went on in seasons 2 and 3 with some new CGI to round it out.
Sadly, Campbell Lane (who played Rampage) passed away a few years ago.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

To be fair it's not like Rampage's voice or dialogue is that iconic that it couldn't be recast.

I mean, it's not on the same level as having BW Megs played by someone who isn't David Kaye.
Revolverman
Redshirt

Post by Revolverman »

The only way a Beast Wars reboot could be slagged, is if Scott Mcneil died. That guy voiced half the cast.
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

Well....I'Ll no longer look at white tiger the same that's for sure