The Legend of Korra Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
aceina
Officer

Re: The Legend of Korra Series Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Post by aceina »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 pm Aceina, I'm with you right up until the final paragraph.

Why does it logically follow from this that she should be a lesbian? As far as I've seen, it just establishes that Asami is the Best Girlfriend Ever and Mako, as an individual, doesn't really meet her emotional needs (in addition to being a fickle pickle and human failure).
it comes down to the hows korra latches on to the first hot guy (pun intended) she sees and does every thing she can to force it word of god is she is bi so she is bi its just how it always comes across to me and it really is just more examples of bryk's problems with writing romance i admit

i buy it with asami thoe for what thats worth
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

aceina wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 pm Aceina, I'm with you right up until the final paragraph.

Why does it logically follow from this that she should be a lesbian? As far as I've seen, it just establishes that Asami is the Best Girlfriend Ever and Mako, as an individual, doesn't really meet her emotional needs (in addition to being a fickle pickle and human failure).
it comes down to the hows korra latches on to the first hot guy (pun intended) she sees and does every thing she can to force it word of god is she is bi so she is bi its just how it always comes across to me and it really is just more examples of bryk's problems with writing romance i admit

i buy it with asami thoe for what thats worth
Well it's just, my feel is, Korra wants Mako to eat her avatarussy. Asami is the one she can form a lasting connection with that provides the emotional depth she needs. Mako is a fuckboy.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Part of what made TLA great was the group dynamic in the original team avatar. It works for both the character and the plot and each one is interesting in their own right. Sokka was the brains, the one who comes up with the plan, Aang was the guy who knew stuff and Katarra was the emotional center, reminding the others of what they were fighting for.

Replicating that would be very tricky for LOK because you can't just clone the original. What they should have done is make Korra the emotional center, with Mako and Asami sort of sharing the 'brains' role. Mako would be street smart, knowing about people and organizations, while Asami is book smart, more about machines and technology. This would leave Bolin to be the funnyman/muscle.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

The issue with the group dynamic in TLOK is that, well, there isn't one. Mako takes up most of the attention in Air and Spirits and then is a glorified extra throughout the rest of the show who adds noting to the plot or the characters. Bolin's job throughout the series is to just be the comic relief who is there mostly to get the laugh.

In contrast Korra, Asami, Tenzin, Lin and Jinora all contrast and complement each other throughout the shows run. Korra is the heavy, Asami the brains, Lin is more of a strategist, Tenzin the voice of reason and Jinora is the spiritual one. These five have more impact on each other then Mako and Bolin do throughout the entire show.

Another issue with Mako and Bolin is that the two seem to just drift through the plot, which is perhaps best shown in how just keep changing jobs season to season with no rhyme or reason. Both start off as sports stars, then Bolin becomes a movie star, has no real job in Change, works for Kuvira's army despite having no miliarty training and is then working as a detective with Mako in Turf Wars. Meanwhile suddenly becomes a detective in Spirits, leaves his job to help Korra find Airbenders, goes back to being a detective off-screen, then is the bodyguard for Prince Neelix- I mean Wu, and then goes right back to being a detective in Turf Wars.

With all the others they're "jobs" remains the same throughout the show, Korra starts as the Avatar and remains the Avatar aside from her brief brush with Pro-Bending in Air. Asami becomes the head of her family company and stays in said company unless she feels Korra really needs her help and the same goes from Lin only replace Head of Mega Corporation with Head of Police. Tenzin is the leader of the New Air Nation and Korra's mentor and Jinora is Korra's spiritual teacher and surrogate kid sister.

With these five their relationships grow and change over the series as they grow and change over the series. Korra and Asami go from rivals for Mako's affection, to friends, to best friends to finally lovers. Korra and Lin also go from rivals due to their conflicting ideologies in how crime should be handled to respected allies, Lin and Tenzin start the series off as estranged friends to friends proper after they sort out their issues and Korra and Tenzin step on each others toes throughout the series but remain close despite a few speed bump.

But Mako and Bolin? The Latter never really changes so neither does he's relationship with any of the characters. And Mako, well, he does start off as Korra and Asami's first love interest before both lose their interest in him but that's about it and after said break up Mako's relationship doesn't grow in any way. He acts wired and awkward around them after he breaks up with them and has remained wired and awkward around them and now that he knows they are dating each other now that seems unlikely to change.

I have the same issue with Jonah over on Tomb Raider only instead of changing jobs like Mako and Bolin do he changes personality game to game. He's a human teddy bear in the first game, a cynic in the next and now seems to be a bit more of a hard @$$ in the upcoming game as he seems to be getting into more arguments with Lara with some of them being justified and some of them not so much. Sam's growth in the series, even though it's only been restricted to the comics, makes a lot more sense whereas Jonah just seems to change character to fit whatever story he's in.

And with all three I just have to wonder why their respective series insists on keeping them around when they add very little to either the plot or the other characters. At this point they're round pegs trying to be stuffed into a square holes.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Winter wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 am Another issue with Mako and Bolin is that the two seem to just drift through the plot, which is perhaps best shown in how just keep changing jobs season to season with no rhyme or reason. Both start off as sports stars, then Bolin becomes a movie star, has no real job in Change, works for Kuvira's army despite having no miliarty training and is then working as a detective with Mako in Turf Wars. Meanwhile suddenly becomes a detective in Spirits, leaves his job to help Korra find Airbenders, goes back to being a detective off-screen, then is the bodyguard for Prince Neelix- I mean Wu, and then goes right back to being a detective in Turf Wars.
With Bolin at least you get the feeling he is trying to find himself. He loved probending but then Mako and Korra moved on and it was not the same so he wanted to move on. Varrick offered him a job as a mover star and there was nothing else so why not? He had fun in the movers but it was not quite what he wanted and going with Korra to find airbenders was a chance to be with his old circle again. I think he was actually happy working with Kuvira and would have stayed with her for the rest of his working life, until he found out about her plans.

I am not going to say Bolin is the best character in all of Avatar but compared to Mako they just seemed to handle him so much better.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

At the same time that's not really saying much as the writers handled Fire Lord Izumi better then him and she only had one speaking scene. I will at least admit that Bolin does have some good moments of character development, like his frustration at not being good at Metalbending, which didn't really go anywhere, his romance with Eska and later Opel which actually helped him grow as a character and his overall character arc in Balanced was also nicely handled, even if it was eventually taken over by Lin and Toph.

As of right now I feel that the brothers have been at their best in Turf Wars after they were pretty much demoted to secondary characters while Korra and Asami took over the plot. They have just enough character to make an impact but are mostly just there to advance the plot or help show has badass the villain is. Which makes sense as TW is a romance so the focus has to be on the hero and the love interest so all other characters exist to either serve the romance or the main plot but for me Mako and Bolin work a lot better when the series isn't trying to shove them into the spot light. They come in, do their thing and then move on.

In fact that was a issue I had in the main series, their were to many characters and most of them didn't really matter. Turf Wars subverts this by making the focus of the series be, Korra and Asami's relationship and the titular Turf Wars and tying these two closely to each other as one effects the other.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

phantom000 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:59 pm Part of what made TLA great was the group dynamic in the original team avatar. It works for both the character and the plot and each one is interesting in their own right. Sokka was the brains, the one who comes up with the plan, Aang was the guy who knew stuff and Katarra was the emotional center, reminding the others of what they were fighting for.

Replicating that would be very tricky for LOK because you can't just clone the original. What they should have done is make Korra the emotional center, with Mako and Asami sort of sharing the 'brains' role. Mako would be street smart, knowing about people and organizations, while Asami is book smart, more about machines and technology. This would leave Bolin to be the funnyman/muscle.
I can see where your coming from, but I'd switch Korra and Bolin. Korra's the avatar and brute force has always been her forte, whereas Bolin, when he's not being a total ass, seems to be really driven by people's feelings. Have Bolin be the funnyman but also the heart. Korra is the muscle.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
turbo_sailor67
Officer

Post by turbo_sailor67 »

aceina wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:37 am ok glad this has its own topic now

i personaly prefer korra to the last air bender any one else feel that way
I'm with you. I don't hate the last airbender, but it just feels so very much like all the annoying "child hero saves the day from all the inept adults" stories that are so grating. I mean look at how much vitriol is aimed at the character of Wesley in TNG because he was made out to be a kid hero who could do anything and everything better than any adult (at first; I actually like some Wesley stories.).

I really liked Korra, and I thought it was able to do things a little more authentic feeling. I was far more invested in Korra and all of the other characters than I was in The Last Airbender save for Zuko. The second chapter with the Spirit World is my favorite and the most interesting to me.

Korra is not without its faults and its pacing I think is one; I'm in total agreement that Korra at the end of season one when she gets her air bending is just weird. There had to be a better way for her to unlock that ability, perhaps via communing with Aang after she has her avatar visions about the past.

Hindsight being what it is, and not knowing that the show would be cut short, on one hand there's the thought process of "This is just a bonus epilogue to the last air bender" to "wow we get to do a whole exploration of the world after the advent of exploits from Aang" to finally "oh crap we need to do our best to end this thing on the best note we can" or at least from all I've read out of the art books, online, and the extras.