Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by Karha of Honor »

GandALF wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:Who cares who developed it? They sold. David Duke could produce these movies and they would still sell like candy. At this point with all the reshoots it's like Disney is going out of it's way to make bad press. There is no reason to do that.
Yeah, but the The Imperial Wizard Awakens would get panned by critics because the cameramen had trouble filming with their hoods on leading to a massive drop off at the box office for the sequel.

Anyway, there still aren't the three year gaps for them to divide their marketing efforts, that's why there was a gap in chapters for the swtor expansion. The novels and comics are also more subdued nowadays, Or maybe DICE Battlefront's lukewarm reception has made them more cautious. Its also possible that with Rebels wrapping up they might shift the focus to games.

And how would Duke not create bad press?

it would create bad press but people would still watch it.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Agent Vinod wrote:I did not expect PR problems like this. They should have someone who lets the artist do their thing more or just hires tv directors who can handle a bigger budget.
You know, it might be good form to actually state what your objections to her are, with a link to, or at least a quote from, a credible source. So we at least know what the thread is about.

Or just be lazy. Either or.

So ,until you can actually be arsed to explain what your objection to Kennedy is, I'm going to assume is because she's a woman, and the franchise has more women and black people in it now, and you'd prefer a good white supremacist man like David Duke in charge. Since you've said about as much about why David Duke in charge would work (which is ridiculous) than why Kathleen Kennedy doesn't.

Unfair? Maybe. But you couldn't be arsed to post a coherent OP. ;)
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:I did not expect PR problems like this. They should have someone who lets the artist do their thing more or just hires tv directors who can handle a bigger budget.
You know, it might be good form to actually state what your objections to her are, with a link to, or at least a quote from, a credible source. So we at least know what the thread is about.

So ,until you can actually be arsed to explain what your objection to Kennedy is, I'm going to assume is because she's a woman, and the franchise has more women and black people in it now, and you'd prefer a good white supremacist man like David Duke in charge. Since you've said about as much about why David Duke in charge would work (which is ridiculous) than why Kathleen Kennedy doesn't.

You seem to be the only person objecting to it and no i won't stop arguing a point just because someone calls me sexist or racist.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Did you miss the point where I was mocking you for your crappy OP, which leaves me unable to be sure what point exactly it is that you are arguing?
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Agent Vinod wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:

You seem to be the only person objecting to it and no i won't stop arguing a point just because someone calls me sexist or racist.
Oh I object to it as well, I was simply trying to give you a chance to make a reasonable argument as to why she should be removed. You haven't actually provided one.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Bump.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I doubt many minds on either side are changing at this point, despite the performance of Solo. Almost everyone seems entrenched, frequently on ideological grounds. All I'll say about it is if Kennedy goes but Johnson gets that SW trilogy, I think they will have made a mistake.

I realize the David Duke comment was hyperbole. Though having Duke direct episode X would at least help put episode XI on an upswing.

"Of course the resistance are using the Roman salute now. The films use Roman numerals, don't they?"
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Ordo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 pm She should stay right where she is, protecting the Star Wars brand from people trying to take it too far in another direction.
Well that theory sure has been Debunked.
Call me KuudereKun
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

I think she should go if only for how she has allowed those working on Star Wars to treat the fans.

Since Last Jedi, there have been repeated flame wars on social media between directors, writers, and actors, and the fans. Regardless of how some scumbags who try to call themselves fans behave, it's the job of an employee to create and uphold a standard of synergy between the company and the fans.

Most recently Rian Johnson took to Twitter saying how true fans and him get along and And enjoy the franchise, and not those who criticize TLJ and harass people on social media. So that's gatekeeping AND a type of nerd culture profiling. He also called the critics, "manbabies." Classy.

Chuck Wendig thinks all SW fans are toxic, Caucasian, bigoted, males.

Jon Kasdan is sorry/not sorry for retconning Lando as a Pansexual.

JJ Abrams says if you don't like the female characters from TLJ you are intimidated by strong women.

I used to work on an escalation team at a call center for a large multimedia. If there was so much as a misquoted price figure and a customer pushed the right buttons during the escalation, they could get free service for months to keep a scandal off the media and protect the company's bottom line. I can't imagine the level of clusterf**k that would have occurred throughout the company if a fraction of this attitude was ever given.

Mark Hamil widely spoke about his dissatisfaction with TLJ for a time, and then stopped as if a gag order was placed on him, but no such thing has happened with those attacking the fans who are the source of the companies profit line. The level of dissatisfaction and outright contempt between the company and its profitability Kennedy has allowed to be fostered and grow is the definition of bad business. Profits are down across all areas of merchandise. Millions are being lost across the board and its all on her head for allowing this to continue. So yes, she should be let go. There are a dozen different ways She could rectify the customer satisfaction situation, yet no action has been taken to reach out to and reassure the fans.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 pm
Ordo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 pm She should stay right where she is, protecting the Star Wars brand from people trying to take it too far in another direction.
Well that theory sure has been Debunked.
Not at all, if you honestly think other producers wouldn't drag things further than we've seen then you haven't been paying attention. Honestly Solo is a solid movie that does little to break lore or characterization....however it's also a movie that had a 'meh' reaction from audiences from the get go. If KK is guilty of anything it's being more hands off with the directors...which is odd since I recall a time when people assumed she had her hand up the backside of each director telling them exactly what to do.