Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
unknownsample
Officer

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by unknownsample »

Not only, but episode IX is in full post production mode. None of the involved actors are allowed on Social media. So where did the story of Kelly Marie leaving social media due to cyber bullying come from? It's typical for even extras to turn in their phones and ANYTHING with a camera and/or recording function while on set. So again, I must ask, WHERE DID THIS STORY COME FROM?
In that case how come Ron Howard continued to post stuff on twitter when he was directing Solo? The story came from the fact that Tran had deleted her entire Instagram feed.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

As for TLJ, what strikes me as completely insane is the fact, that the movie straight out assassinates it's characters. It's understandable that the people in charge do not necessarily know about the characters in detail, but if the guy who played Luke Skywalker three times and who is critically acclaimed and not just a random schmuck actor tells you, that the character he is playing in this movie is not Luke Skywalker, then you maybe should think long and hard about what you are doing with the movie.
The thing apart from saying he's not my Luke Skywalker, Hamill has to my knowledge not gone into any detail into what was wrong with Luke in TLJ.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 pmI'm constantly seeing defenders of the sequels refer to some novelization to explain some hole in The Last Jedi or why the New Republic allowing the First Order to exist actually makes some sort of sense (still doesn't to me).
If you have to refer to outside sources, to understand the basic premises of a movie, then the movie fails to tell it's story. Star Trek 2009 had that exact same issue: Nero was a completely uninteresting villain with no discernable motivation behind his actions, unless you actually read the graphic novel leading into the movie, where he's not just given a motivation, but gets a tragic backstory that everybody can connect to, creating one of the better villains in recent movie history. Incidentally, both movies were made by JJ. I am not surprised. Why is that guy given any credit still?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:57 pm
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:31 pmI'm constantly seeing defenders of the sequels refer to some novelization to explain some hole in The Last Jedi or why the New Republic allowing the First Order to exist actually makes some sort of sense (still doesn't to me).
If you have to refer to outside sources, to understand the basic premises of a movie, then the movie fails to tell it's story. Star Trek 2009 had that exact same issue: Nero was a completely uninteresting villain with no discernable motivation behind his actions, unless you actually read the graphic novel leading into the movie, where he's not just given a motivation, but gets a tragic backstory that everybody can connect to, creating one of the better villains in recent movie history. Incidentally, both movies were made by JJ. I am not surprised. Why is that guy given any credit still?
So the film should essentially spoonfeed you all the background info to you?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I won't bother commenting on that obvious attempt of trolling.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Just thinking about the events of the ST chronologically ticks me off at the incoherence of it all. In The Force Awakens, a brand new Republic has no military of its own and is unconcerned with this suspiciously Empire-like group seizing all of the Empire's old assets. In short order, a super weapon destroys several New Republic planets. In response, this Resistance group destroys the First Order's big secret weapon. Then, a matter of days later, the First Order is chasing around the last remnants of the Resistance? Holdo light speed rams multiple ships, including their big capital ship, and a matter of hours later they're still cornered by still more First Order people. And the rest of the universe just doesn't give a crap despite the Republic being destroyed a couple days. But somehow the image of Luke Skywalker showing up for a couple minutes to about two dozen Resistance people is going to "inspire the galaxy"?
1. The Super Weapon destroyed the capital of the New Republic, all their political leaders, military leaders et cetera

2. The First Order knew the location of the resistance base, the resistance also knew this and so decided to flee, but whilst their fleeing the First Order turns up.

3. More First Order people/ their entire fleet clearly wasn't destroyed, The Supremacy was badly damaged but still intact, so those First Order troops very likely came from there.

4. Universe don't you mean galaxy? How do you know they don't give a crap?
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

unknownsample wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:49 pm
Not only, but episode IX is in full post production mode. None of the involved actors are allowed on Social media. So where did the story of Kelly Marie leaving social media due to cyber bullying come from? It's typical for even extras to turn in their phones and ANYTHING with a camera and/or recording function while on set. So again, I must ask, WHERE DID THIS STORY COME FROM?
In that case how come Ron Howard continued to post stuff on twitter when he was directing Solo? The story came from the fact that Tran had deleted her entire Instagram feed.
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm I won't bother commenting on that obvious attempt of trolling.

Agreed, I'm thinking Disney bot or paid social media troll.

Though he is making my point for me about how hateful trolls love to argue. Guess even people like him have a purpose.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

MyUserName wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 pm
unknownsample wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:49 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm I won't bother commenting on that obvious attempt of trolling.

Agreed, I'm thinking Disney bot or paid social media troll.

Though he is making my point for me about how hateful trolls love to argue. Guess even people like him have a purpose.
Ah of course because I for the most like the Disney Star Wars films, I must be a Disney bot or I'm being paid. :lol:

Here's a little present for you

ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

unknownsample wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm
I like subtlety and "figuring stuff out", but basic motivations shouldn't be background info.

I'm a big David Lynch fan. There's a lot of stuff in, say, Twin Peaks, that takes a lot of effort to figure out. There's a lot that is intentionally constructed to be inscrutable from a plotting/story perspective- it's more about mood or specific themes than a coherent plot. Some people hate that, but to me its part of the fun.

Star Wars is, and should be, a different animal. Part of the reason David Lynch turned down Return of the Jedi is because it was George Lucas' movie and his universe. Lynch had the integrity to just pass on the movie when he didn't want to play nice in that universe. Rian Johnson, on the other hand, went ahead and made a movie that makes no sense as the eighth of nine chapters. For whatever reason, Kathleen Kennedy was totally ok with a script that ignored or subverted almost everything that came in the previous film and reset everything to zero rather than building toward the culmination of a trilogy. Then in the standalone movies, the ones where it makes sense to experiment, directors are fired halfway through production.

That's not to say JJ Abrams should get off the hook either. His sensibilities are much more in line with what's needed for a "franchise blockbuster" then someone like Lynch or Rian Johnson, and so TFA felt a lot more like a Star Wars movie. Even so, he and whoever else started the ST decided to set up a story that actively worked to retcon the results of Return of the Jedi rather than build off them.
The owls are not what they seem.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 pm
unknownsample wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm
I like subtlety and "figuring stuff out", but basic motivations shouldn't be background info.

I'm a big David Lynch fan. There's a lot of stuff in, say, Twin Peaks, that takes a lot of effort to figure out. There's a lot that is intentionally constructed to be inscrutable from a plotting/story perspective- it's more about mood or specific themes than a coherent plot. Some people hate that, but to me its part of the fun.

Star Wars is, and should be, a different animal. Part of the reason David Lynch turned down Return of the Jedi is because it was George Lucas' movie and his universe. Lynch had the integrity to just pass on the movie when he didn't want to play nice in that universe. Rian Johnson, on the other hand, went ahead and made a movie that makes no sense as the eighth of nine chapters. For whatever reason, Kathleen Kennedy was totally ok with a script that ignored or subverted almost everything that came in the previous film and reset everything to zero rather than building toward the culmination of a trilogy. Then in the standalone movies, the ones where it makes sense to experiment, directors are fired halfway through production.

That's not to say JJ Abrams should get off the hook either. His sensibilities are much more in line with what's needed for a "franchise blockbuster" then someone like Lynch or Rian Johnson, and so TFA felt a lot more like a Star Wars movie. Even so, he and whoever else started the ST decided to set up a story that actively worked to retcon the results of Return of the Jedi rather than build off them.
Lets not feed the troll. There's a literary quote about arguing with reason and logic to those who have abandoned such qualities is like administering medicine to the dead. I invoke it whenever trolls try to take up peoples time.

One thing I hated, and I mean HATED, after seeing TLJ was that new canon now made the heroes of my generation complete failures in life. There is something extremely wrong with that, I had to think and process about much of the other things that rubbed me the wrong way. I had to do the same thing with the first Garfield Spider-Man movie as I walked out wondering if there was a teen beat consultant on set advising the director that the key to making this Spider-Man popular with teens was to make him as disrespectful as possible to all authority figures at every opportunity. I believe in giving a story a chance to tell itself, to stand and fall on it's own merits so it took me a while to divorce myself from how I felt about seeing my childhood heroes dragged through the mud from whether the film itself was flawed before discussing it with people who enjoyed it.

After I did so, I decided I found TLJ to be a hateful film on many more levels. I find it laughable that people consider the films female characters strong. Rey has ZERO agency in her story. Holdo is an incompetent general more focused on emasculating Poe than sharing any battle strategies with him or other Resistance leaders. Rose... fell in love with a man she's known for a few hours. Leia... did a Mary Poppins impression and then checked out Poes ass. And Phasma died as she lived, like a chump.

Its interesting that EA has issued a public apology for how it released Battlefront II and how it treated the fans at the time, and has stated they want to move forward to make a better product. Now, EA is an evil company and is well known for screwing over developers and customers. They are second only to Konami. But they did something Disney has yet to do. They apologized. Noone believes it, noone cares if they are sincere, they just want a better product. If they deliver on that... well noone will still trust them but they will still buy the game because its cheap now and its a product they want.

Noone would trust an apology from Kennedy at this point either, and I think likewise they wouldn't care. just deliver a product we want to buy. We are consumers, you are a business with a product we want. deliver a good product, we buy. Insult us, smear us, attack us, and we will take our dollar elsewhere. Kennedy and her court of fools have done the latter for half a year now. I fail to see how she still has a job, and wonder if it will take Episode IX bombing for Disney to cut her loose.