Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
unknownsample
Officer

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by unknownsample »

And back to my point of Lucasfilm allowing twitter wars to happen, john boyega has simultaneously proven my NDA theory wrong, then proved my point about Lucasfilms PR encouraging these attacks by having him engage in some mild flame wars with fans. Mark Hamil stepped in and tried to jokingly diffuse the situation, good on him by the way, but the anti-Kennedy YouTube channels already flew in both on twitter and YouTube and are having a field day with it.

I do have to wonder if having the STARS themselves involved in flame wars will cause Disney to step in. Disney has to at some point. The longer this goes, the more money they stand to lose
You know it would help if you would provide some actual evidence to back up your arguments. Do you mean this?

https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/1 ... 3047199744
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Cut the out bullshit trolling and social media fights in the forums.

I'm a grumpy man with a very short lunch break today and will be feeling especially vindictive against anyone decides to use up that precious sandwich eating time by making an administrative burden of themselves.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

1. I get that that's the intention, but why were all the New Republic leaders on the same system within spitting distance of Starkiller Base? The Old Republic took decades to be obliterated. The death star needed half an hour to get within firing range after entering the Yavin system, so how can this superweapon have that kind of range- does the weapon blast travel through hyperspace? Why could the Resistance see it all happen and instantly know what happened? Starkiller Base is just a poorly conceived plot device, without even considering that its a Death Star knockoff.
1. They weren't within spitting distance of Starkiller base

2. The Old Republic was destroyed from within.

3. Yes it does

4. The resistance detected and deduced what happened.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

unknownsample wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 pm1. They weren't within spitting distance of Starkiller base

3. Yes it does
You can then explain this scene?
Last edited by Madner Kami on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Geo ... 181008.asp
In the book Lucas says…

"The next three Star Wars films were going to get into a micro biotic world. But there's this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.

If I'd held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told."
I think I'm beginning to understand WHY they went in a different direction with the Force than Lucas original idea....having beings like that controlling the universe via feeding on the force....KK's job and that of the Story Group is even tougher than I thought if that was the truth George revealed to them.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

I think there's plenty of substantive criticisms that can be made without resorting to name-calling on either side. I don't like that fans are called shills, and I don't like that honest detractors are lumped in (including by Disney at times, to be honest) with racists and whoever else. I don't think all that noise is at the heart of the discontent- if Black Panther and Wonder Woman could survive troll attempts and go on to have very positive receptions, then it makes no sense that TLJ couldn't as well, unless there's something more going on than politics.
Worth noting that Last Jedi was well received by critics and by audiences as Todd Van DerWerff points out

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/998716344156631040
There’s this assumption that liking The Last Jedi is controversial, but the movie made over $1 billion, had tremendous reviews, and earned an A CinemaScore.

This suggests those who dislike the movie aren’t more numerous than those who did. They’re just louder.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm
unknownsample wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 pm1. They weren't within spitting distance of Starkiller base

3. Yes it does
It travelled through Hyperspace, the two systems were clearly not next door to each other.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Clearly. So clearly that the beam travels at visibly sublight speeds and you can somehow see the explosion of five planets from half a galaxy away on Maz Kanata's planet not just instantly, but clearly in the day-sky and those five planets are visibly so far apart from each other, that Maz Kanata's planet has to be in the very same system that the explosions are happening in, yet isn't. It's a bunch of badly thought out hogwash that undermines the story-telling and it's indicative of what is going on in the creation processes of other parts of the story, namely: A whole lot of no thinking.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

unknownsample wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm Worth noting that Last Jedi was well received by critics and by audiences as Todd Van DerWerff points out

https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/998716344156631040
There’s this assumption that liking The Last Jedi is controversial, but the movie made over $1 billion, had tremendous reviews, and earned an A CinemaScore.

This suggests those who dislike the movie aren’t more numerous than those who did. They’re just louder.

Box office has more to do with the property and the reception of the previous film. The Last Jedi had some pretty large drops after a huge opening weekend, and Solo completely bombed. The reason why is still an open question right now, but the controversy surrounding TLJ is one possibility.

Getting a good cinemascore isn't hard at all, especially for blockbusters. Cinemascore isn't a sample of general audiences. It only measures opening night, when theaters are filled with hyped up fans who are likely going to have fun no matter what. Transformers: Dark of the Moon got an A, for example. Tyler Perry movies regularly score A or A-. VanDerWerff is taking cinemascore to mean something that it isn't even attempting to measure.

I don't take the much-discussed rottentomatoes score totally seriously, but it does tell us something imo. Trolls and alt-right types have just as much reason to dislike TFA or Black Panther or Wonder Woman, but they weren't able to put a dent in the IMDb or rottentomatoes user ratings of those films. Solo's ratings aren't too bad despite the negativity surrounding Star Wars right now. So why is TLJ uniquely vulnerable? The obvious answer is because a lot of people disliked it.

unknownsample wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm

3. Yes it does
It travelled through Hyperspace, the two systems were clearly not next door to each other.
How are they not next door when the Resistance can literally see it happen from Takodana and the beam can clearly be tracked by eye as it travels toward the various planets?

Besides that, a weapon blast traveling through hyperspace would break conventional warfare, as would lightspeed kamikazes in TLJ. I don't understand why writers don't think twice before opening Pandora's Box like that.
unknownsample wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:13 pm 2. The Old Republic was destroyed from within.
Order 66 sent the few remaining Jedi into hiding, and it wasn't until A New Hope that the Imperial Senate was dissolved. In the sequels, the New Republic doesn't get so much as a mention (unless I missed it somewhere) only days after Starkiller Base fired.

I don't want to dismiss the opinions of people who don't have a problem with all this, but to me this is ridiculously sloppy worldbuilding.
The owls are not what they seem.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:28 pm Clearly. So clearly that the beam travels at visibly sublight speeds and you can somehow see the explosion of five planets from half a galaxy away on Maz Kanata's planet not just instantly, but clearly in the day-sky and those five planets are visibly so far apart from each other, that Maz Kanata's planet has to be in the very same system that the explosions are happening in, yet isn't. It's a bunch of badly thought out hogwash that undermines the story-telling and it's indicative of what is going on in the creation processes of other parts of the story, namely: A whole lot of no thinking.
This is a common problem for JJ Abrams. He has absolutely no concept of scale and instead uses the Rule of Cool for things like this, even when it undermines the believability of his story universe. The lack of realistic consequences ruins the tension and creates massive plotholes. Star Trek 2009 demonstrated this same blindspot.
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 pm How are they not next door when the Resistance can literally see it happen from Takodana and the beam can clearly be tracked by eye as it travels toward the various planets?

Besides that, a weapon blast traveling through hyperspace would break conventional warfare, as would lightspeed kamikazes in TLJ. I don't understand why writers don't think twice before opening Pandora's Box like that.
I don't get it either. I would expect that any writer big enough to get hired for a project with this profile would know how immensely ridiculous it is to have this ability in your story. It's an elephant in the room of any sci-fi tale with FTL, and the only reason it works is because everyone has the decorum to ignore it.

Don't get me wrong, it was a very cool scene (hampered only slightly by everything that led up to it), but it causes plotholes rippling both backward and forward in the franchise once you acknowledge that these reasonably-common stardrives can be used as such devastating weapons. It really makes Starkiller base look like a slight misallocation of resources -- but then again the First Order seems to have an infinite supply.