STD questions?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: STD questions?

Post by Yukaphile »

But from the sounds of things, there's no good reason for these changes. The characters are bland. And they are not, to paraphrase Moore, "working desperately behind the scenes to maintain continuity." At least, that's how I read it. Moore understand the heart of the Star Trek fan of the 1990s. It just doesn't feel like those in charge do now.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Zoinksberg wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm I'm sure Brannon Braga and George Lucas are both enjoying their sudden rise in opinion this past year.
To be fair, it was Braga that had a lot of the right ideas to take Enterprise forward, but was ultimately overruled by Berman. It wasn't until the major tanking the show took after season 2 that he got to do something he was previously prevented to. (With Coto also being a big help.) He also did go on to pretty much head up the last few years of 24 with Coto as well, so not a bad thing to add to one's resume despite the setback from the latter years of Star Trek.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I've liked Braga's work in Orville. I don't know how much story control he's had; it looks like it's mostly been directing.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Given that they're putting Kurtzman in charge, I'm just pretending that STD doesn't exist.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm Given that they're putting Kurtzman in charge, I'm just pretending that STD doesn't exist.
It's not a good sign. The best of the reboot films didn't have him directly involved.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Kurtzman's work has been mixed, and I think mostly less-than-stellar. No pun intended. He recently did work on the Universal Dark Universe franchise, and that was a critical and box office bomb. That he did the story for. And directed. :cry: The only thing of his I really liked was Transformers: Prime, and I think that went downhill somewhat after the first season and a half or so.

As far as potential goes, they've got a good chunk of galaxy to explore, and I think it's been mostly squandered. Garth of Izar. Kodos the pre-Executioner. They could see if Betazed is ready to join the Federation while they deal with concerns about full telepaths running around who have no regard for others' privacy. It wouldn't be the first time Trek borrowed from Babylon 5. Klingon colonies in rebellion, which the Federation may be unwilling to help. The Romulan War. Hell, give them a semi-trustworthy Romulan contact, something like Enterprise's Shran. Someone with his own agenda.

They could redeem Harry Mudd. Well, not redeem him all the way, or he wouldn't be Harry Mudd, but he could be a little less gleefully homicidal. Maybe he could help bring the Andorians into the Federation because he discovered a trade opportunity, and decides he likes being more than a monster.

Intelligent diseases that are desperate for a home. Disasters during wargames. Earth colonies suffering a coup by authoritarian factions. Tension between science and military roles for Starfleet. Ancient computers run amok. Section 31 suppressing knowledge about some ancient technology that could lead to a superweapon, because how far does duty to the truth go when it could cost billions of lives? Invisible monsters that steal eyebrows and are leaving everyone looking surprised.

Trek is a big, crazy playground for an imagination to go wild in. I hope STD can explore more of that than they have so far. Or maybe the rumored spin-off series.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Weren't the Andorians one of the original four? If I remember correctly, Earth-Romulan war was shortly post-enterprise. Can't have any Romulans seen by main cast without breaking canon.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

TGLS wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 am Weren't the Andorians one of the original four? If I remember correctly, Earth-Romulan war was shortly post-enterprise. Can't have any Romulans seen by main cast without breaking canon.
Good points. I didn't know about the Andorians, and a friendly Romulan would have to be at most a voice on a radio.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 am
TGLS wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 am Weren't the Andorians one of the original four? If I remember correctly, Earth-Romulan war was shortly post-enterprise. Can't have any Romulans seen by main cast without breaking canon.
Good points. I didn't know about the Andorians, and a friendly Romulan would have to be at most a voice on a radio.
The Enterprise books detailing the formation of the Federation and the Romulan War covered this well (and actually took a similar route to Discovery with the Mirror Universe).

Some of the crew found out about the similarities between Romulans and Vulcans, but since this interspecies cooperation venture was so new and under so much resistance from isolationist factions on all four planets, it was agreed to keep this information under wraps - only the highest authorities from the various governments would know the truth.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Paul Walker wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 am
The Enterprise books detailing the formation of the Federation and the Romulan War covered this well (and actually took a similar route to Discovery with the Mirror Universe).

Some of the crew found out about the similarities between Romulans and Vulcans, but since this interspecies cooperation venture was so new and under so much resistance from isolationist factions on all four planets, it was agreed to keep this information under wraps - only the highest authorities from the various governments would know the truth.
Thanks, I hadn't read the Enterprise novels.

It's not an unreasonable approach. I had the same idea for a Trek fanfic, though altered in that the Big Secret (discovered between TOS and TNG) was something in Vulcan history that would not really have been that useful later on.

I'm biased because a Trek fan film had their ship officially visiting Romulan space, and one of the officers was Romulan and would not have been welcome back home, the implication I got being he was an exile or a defector. And political intrigue seems popular in the TV audience right now.