Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Should Kathleen Kennedy be let go from the Star Wars megaproject?

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I've been inconsolable since Solo's performance killed my hope for a Porkins movie.
"Porkins, eject!"
"I don't have a space suit!"
"Eject!"
"Doesn't the Empire blow up escape pods?"
"Eject!"
"And I'll be moving at high speed over a rough surface..."
"Eject!"
"...that we're going to blow up anyway..."
*BOOM*
"Noooooooooooooooooooooo!"
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Honestly, I think you might be able to make a case that Star Wars isn't a franchise that can handle this level of market saturation.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

TGLS wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 pm Honestly, I think you might be able to make a case that Star Wars isn't a franchise that can handle this level of market saturation.
It certainly changes the nature of the beast from the rare Big Event monstrosity that it once was.

Simply being "Star Wars" is no longer sufficient.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Admiral X wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 am
unknownsample wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:34 pm Again this is a good case of people reading something into the film that isn't there.
Nope, it's there.
Snoke was in my view an uninteresting villain and killing him off was one of the best things about TLJ.
None of the villains are particularly interesting. Hell, one could argue they're actually comically stupid. Honestly, most of the characters in the movies are uninteresting. This is a big part of why these movies are bad.
That's true. We have, let's see...

--Kylo Ren, a marginally less irritating ripoff of Darth Caedus from the novelverse, with basically the same backstory and an even more pathetic performance as archvillain.
--Supreme Leader Snoke, a guy who just sort of exists then is killed off for no reason. (yes, the novels claim he's super interesting, but I only watch the movies and consider anything left on the cutting-room floor noncanon)
--General Hux, who is only at all engaging when he's getting the shit kicked out of him like a cartoon character because that's really all that Domhnall Gleeson is good at.

Not exactly intimidating villains.
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 amReductive portrayal of a culture /=/ racist.
In the USA, Native Americans were traditionally portrayed as two-faced, treacherous, and untrustworthy by racists who wanted their land. Chief, as a smuggler in a generic costume with a couple of feathers to indicate his "Injunn-Ness" who sells to both sides, fits easily into that stereotype.

He's the guy who makes the smoke signals, too. couldn't they have had some other character do that???
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/06 ... chise.html

Well, if this rumor is true then it could mean Kennedy is out after all. I mean, yeah it could be just a precaution since Solo underperformed but when the head of a studio stands down some projects that were being developed under their leadership tend to get thrown out. More waiting to see, I suppose.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 pm http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/06 ... chise.html

Well, if this rumor is true then it could mean Kennedy is out after all. I mean, yeah it could be just a precaution since Solo underperformed but when the head of a studio stands down some projects that were being developed under their leadership tend to get thrown out. More waiting to see, I suppose.
How? No where in either article is it stated that Kennedy will go or could go.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 amReductive portrayal of a culture /=/ racist.
In the USA, Native Americans were traditionally portrayed as two-faced, treacherous, and untrustworthy by racists who wanted their land. Chief, as a smuggler in a generic costume with a couple of feathers to indicate his "Injunn-Ness" who sells to both sides, fits easily into that stereotype.

He's the guy who makes the smoke signals, too. couldn't they have had some other character do that???
Native Americans had been portrayed with more nuance for decades.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 am
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Native Americans had been portrayed with more nuance for decades.
So? That changes nothing.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm In the USA, Native Americans were traditionally portrayed as two-faced, treacherous, and untrustworthy by racists who wanted their land.
Traditionally as in before the 20th Century?

What you describe I've never seen in any portrayals of Indians in film or TV shows. What is shown is that they live by their own rules and codes of conduct that seem odd to whites, but have their own consistency. When it comes down to treachery, it's the old white man that is the one that breaks bonds and truces.

I've never seen anything deviate from that and I watch a lot of old TV now that I've given up modern stuff, and am always surprised at how nuanced things are. They are not two dimensional shows like commonly though, just have their own affinities and boundaries going into dealing with things TV today wouldn't even if in their own case they had their own things, like anything to do with sex.

I differentiate between what was in the 19th Century and what was common in the Western genre, since so much of the latter is a folklorish construction of the 1920s to 50s that was dealing far more with the themes and ideas that came to those of later generations that had little to do with the reality of the West as it was, in much the same way Sci-Fi does the job for many now.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

So according to this, the "A Star Wars story" spinoffs might be on hold for a while-

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/#images

Which does suck- I like Boba Fett but can see why they would hesitate to make that. The Obi-Wan spinoff with Ewan McGregor, on the other hand, seemed like the one film that everyone was looking forward to. It's a movie that makes far more sense then, say, Solo.

Of course we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I wonder if this could be taken as an indication that Lucasfilm/Disney aren't blaming TLJ for the current situation. At any rate, it's clear that their initial approach to this was problematic, and both spinoff movies had too many production difficulties.
The owls are not what they seem.