Kennedy to retire.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Kennedy to retire.

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

LittleRaven wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:42 amI'm afraid I'll lose marriage and most people I care about will lose abortion.
I think a lot more will have to happen before you lose marriage. Like, a LOT more. Trump is on record, repeatedly, as saying he's fine with gay marriage and has no interest in pursuing that fight. And Roberts would be extremely loathe to let his court overturn something like that...if you could even find a case that could make its way through the courts that would allow for that result.

Abortion is a different matter. It's quite possible that we'll see a return to states making abortion laws. But assuming you live in a blue state, not much will change. And frankly, if you live in a red state, odds are it's already almost impossible to get an abortion without travelling out of state. At least I know that's the case here in Texas.
Trump is also on record saying "It's so funny, my VP wants to kill all the gays lol". He's slightly less consistent in his promises and agenda than a game of chicken bingo.
I'm in a swing state, and I don't personally have to get an abortion, but I DO have to worry about all the people who will have to resort to coat hangers and getting punched in the stomach really hard and back alley doctors who say "if you die as a result of this procedure, I will dump your body in quicklime and it will never be found".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:41 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:44 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:42 am I'm still really fucking scared and depressed that this is happening. The Tangerine Ida-Amine gets to pick somebody who will rule on the highest laws in the land for decades to come.

I'm afraid I'll lose marriage and most people I care about will lose abortion.
Yo r side wanted to play bullyball. we are playong some motherfucking bullyball.

Your side has a huge advantage in the press and had it for decades. My side took the courts.
So...that's it?

No recognition of the bigotry or loss of human rights? Just "You guys started it because CNN!"
Ideological bigotry is irrelevant?
Ideological bigotry?

Judging people by their political ideology is NOT bigotry. It is judging them by the content of their character. The policies you advocate for have a real effect on real people, ESPECIALLY if their ideology involves judging other people by the color of their skin or their preference for men and/or women or their gender presentation.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 pm back alley doctors who say "if you die as a result of this procedure, I will dump your body in quicklime and it will never be found".
What kind of doctor would say that? I'm mean, I can understand doing that, but saying that is just stupid.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

TGLS wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:00 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 pm back alley doctors who say "if you die as a result of this procedure, I will dump your body in quicklime and it will never be found".
What kind of doctor would say that? I'm mean, I can understand doing that, but saying that is just stupid.
It's stupid, but it's also based on first-hand account of a woman seeking an abortion in a country where they were illegal. =/ I guess some people like to be brutally honest?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:42 am I'm still really fucking scared and depressed that this is happening. The Tangerine Ida-Amine gets to pick somebody who will rule on the highest laws in the land for decades to come.

Yo r side wanted to play bullyball. we are playong some motherfucking bullyball.

Your side has a huge advantage in the press and had it for decades. My side took the courts.
So...that's it?

No recognition of the bigotry or loss of human rights? Just "You guys started it because CNN!"

Why should i think of the American goverment as bigoted?

Much more than CNN.
You should think of them as bigoted because they are stopping us queers from getting married, from adopting children, from entering businesses and getting housing. You should think of them as bigoted because lots of men who don't even understand how the female body works are passing laws that get women jailed for having a miscarraige and out trans kids to people who would kill them.
Why is ideological bigoptry better?
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:50 pm

So...that's it?

Ideological bigotry?

Judging people by their political ideology is NOT bigotry. It is judging them by the content of their character. The policies you advocate for have a real effect on real people, ESPECIALLY if their ideology involves judging other people by the color of their skin or their preference for men and/or women or their gender presentation.
It goes way fucking beyond that.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

The orange turd picked Kavanaugh because he doesn't believe that a sitting president should face a criminal investigation, even though he was part of Kenneth Starr's Clinton investigation in the 1990s. That is why he was picked so Trump can get away with his shit and to say that Trump is above the law because he is president. Not only that but this guy is totally on the Right of Kennedy.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

cilantro wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:36 pm

The orange turd picked Kavanaugh because he doesn't believe that a sitting president should face a criminal investigation, even though he was part of Kenneth Starr's Clinton investigation in the 1990s. That is why he was picked so Trump can get away with his shit and to say that Trump is above the law because he is president. Not only that but this guy is totally on the Right of Kennedy.
But CNN
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

unknownsample wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 pm

But CNN
And co's ability to shame people out of existence was going to warrant a counterreaction.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 pm

But CNN
And co's ability to shame people out of existence was going to warrant a counterreaction.
Really when did they do this?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

unknownsample wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 pm

But CNN
Really when did they do this?
I would say recent development.