SW The Old Republic: Sith Inquisitor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Independent George
Officer

Re: SW The Old Republic: Sith Inquisitor

Post by Independent George »

I can never bring myself to play crazy, psychotically evil characters; unfortunately, that's how most games write the 'evil' path. As irritated as I get with dialogue wheel and simplified alignment system, at least it does give you the leeway to play practical, self-interested kind of evil. That's how my light-side inquisitor is turning out - and, more importantly, it is written properly that way. Yes, a non-crazy Sith playing the long game should still be dark side instead of light side, but the dialogue actually makes sense even if the alignment doesn't.

My dark-side characters all mostly worked out in that regard - the greedy, spice-dealing Smuggler, the coldly professional Agent, and the erratic PTSD-suffering Trooper all fit in logically as dark side characters. My Sith Warrior... was just stupid evil, and boring. Well, the Trooper was boring, too, but at least the character made sense.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

Part 2 is up. Robes of specific material are mentioned.

https://sfdebris.com/videos/games/swtorinq.php
Archanubis
Officer

Post by Archanubis »

I just about died of laughter when his character got stuck in the elevator platform. I also would love to know what dialogue choices he made to have the Sith Lord with Kallig's mask fight his Inq. Every time I played the mission, I got the lackeys.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Independent George wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:19 pm I can never bring myself to play crazy, psychotically evil characters; unfortunately, that's how most games write the 'evil' path. As irritated as I get with dialogue wheel and simplified alignment system, at least it does give you the leeway to play practical, self-interested kind of evil. That's how my light-side inquisitor is turning out - and, more importantly, it is written properly that way. Yes, a non-crazy Sith playing the long game should still be dark side instead of light side, but the dialogue actually makes sense even if the alignment doesn't.
Eh, if you're a ambitious ruler who DOESN'T abuse his subjects then how are you evil? :) It kind of goes with the territory in Star Wars.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm
Independent George wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:19 pm I can never bring myself to play crazy, psychotically evil characters; unfortunately, that's how most games write the 'evil' path. As irritated as I get with dialogue wheel and simplified alignment system, at least it does give you the leeway to play practical, self-interested kind of evil. That's how my light-side inquisitor is turning out - and, more importantly, it is written properly that way. Yes, a non-crazy Sith playing the long game should still be dark side instead of light side, but the dialogue actually makes sense even if the alignment doesn't.
Eh, if you're a ambitious ruler who DOESN'T abuse his subjects then how are you evil? :) It kind of goes with the territory in Star Wars.
and exactly how many of those guys are still alive in the eu or cannon??
none they all get killed by the forces karmic boomerang.

The problem with a lot of star wars villains is that their all patterned after either the emperor or the misconception of vader being a you have failed me for the last time villain.

A smart villain is like thrawn in the zahn novels. Smart calculating but only killing someone if they are detrimental to your group not for one mistake they make. also able to listen to others ideas and take the time to teach people how to think outside the box.

a good example is at the start of dark force rising thrawn is using a smuggler base that was abandoned as training op for (spoilers) his clones that he has been growing to train them better. even though he knows that the smuggler chief kard would have taken anything important or destroyed it. kard is hiding and thinks hes safe and can run before thrawn send someone from where he is now to him but he gets captain pellion to figure out he sent orders while pellion was commanding the ground troops over the comm. to the rest of the fleet to mask the transmission so kard won't realize that thrawn has called someone in to catch him from behind. it only fails because mara jade is a force user and gets the danger sense enough in advance to power up before an interdictor can block their escape

thats a real leader he plans out a trap but while he is doing it give one of his commanders a nudge to help him start thinking about different tactics pellion only considered using the forces he had right there to catch kard, thrawn knew kard wouldn't be stupied enough to be anywhere near enough that that would work so he did something kard hadn't considered called someone else to jump in right on top of him and get him from behind and hid the transmission in the very thing kard was so determined to listen in on that he couldn't see the transmission going out that would catch him.

with any villain you have to make them more than just the old black hats to be the opposite to the white hatted good guys. the reason thrawn is one of the most well liked villains of star wars is he isn't just an oppressive or evil man.

and he doesn't waste things he doesn't have to. with the sith inquisitor you know there is a trap but that as they said in dune is the first step to avoiding it. plus most sith are just brutes who use their shear power to get what they want its why you can usually walk right through them. they don't have anything other than raw power to use most of the time. think about it what else do they have most of the time its just a question of brute strength. darth scocia is a perfect example, he may claim other wise but his body guards were there to back him up because he wants power thats completely under his control, the guard can't disobey him with out you having the relic that make you the master and he hit that thing where he through no one would find it. and all the cybernetics where probably to make him more powerful as the cybernetics give him a lot more strength and speed but you take that away.

Most sith don't have a lot of imagination they only have 2 modes intimidate and kill crazy, the inquisitor story is more about being smarter, only use enough force to do the job and no more.

the guy trying to extort you to make the earthquake good example, you ask for something using your knowledge of his misdeeds and offering a fair deal and securing his families life, he starts to get greedy, you use the stick and he is cowed can gives in, just enough force to make him realize he isn't the boss you are.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm
and exactly how many of those guys are still alive in the eu or cannon??
none they all get killed by the forces karmic boomerang.

The problem with a lot of star wars villains is that their all patterned after either the emperor or the misconception of vader being a you have failed me for the last time villain.

A smart villain is like thrawn in the zahn novels. Smart calculating but only killing someone if they are detrimental to your group not for one mistake they make. also able to listen to others ideas and take the time to teach people how to think outside the box.
Hilariously, Zahn's responsible for the misconception cause he's the one who popularized the whole Vader would kill you just for being in within killing distance.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

I'mma come out on a side, as it was raised in part 2; Inquisitor is indeed my favorite storyline. I can't say it's necessarily the best, mechanically speaking, but it feels the most like a roleplaying game, and there are three (possibly four) very distinct and well developed personalities that run the dialogue lines, without -often- feeling like they step on each others toes from scene to scene (i.e. the whiplash some other classes get if you immediately juggle Light-Dark options in the same dialogue tree, soldier was particularly bad at that "Here, get these supplies to the refugees. <time killing line> "You should have been more grateful! *kills everyone*").

I have a lot of respect for that craft, and Darth Nox and Darth Imperius both feel like legitimate characters (along with Darth Ditz, who remains my favorite). Inquisitor feels like its in the Empire Strikes Back, when so many of the stories, to me, feel trapped in that New Hope, 1-dimensional casting call. And even the actions can flow seamlessly with whatever story you want to tell, which I think Chuck will have fun with. Like the temple holocron on Korriban. You can personally interpret it as providence, an instinct that you followed, or you can see it as dumb luck, or you can see it as your character meticulously working out what to do. The game never really decides for you, and that's such a subtle thing that manages to keep the RPG elements from being completely overshadowed by the MMO elements.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

How much would it cost to get SFDebris to do Smuggler?
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

A bit of a tricky question. Years ago when the first four video game review slots were open (with the ground rules of no MMORPGs aside from the single specific exception of SWTOR), the donation request was set at $500. Last year when limited request slots were temporarily opened specifically for the other three Imperial class stories, it was $400. However, given that he's currently not taking any video game requests at all, it's technically priceless. He's still got years worth of requests to queue through and the game reviews end up being incredibly time-consuming to make.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

SabreMau wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:10 pm A bit of a tricky question. Years ago when the first four video game review slots were open (with the ground rules of no MMORPGs aside from the single specific exception of SWTOR), the donation request was set at $500. Last year when limited request slots were temporarily opened specifically for the other three Imperial class stories, it was $400. However, given that he's currently not taking any video game requests at all, it's technically priceless. He's still got years worth of requests to queue through and the game reviews end up being incredibly time-consuming to make.
True. I'll probably chip in for that when it happen but it took a year for him to handle my last requests (which were worth the wait mind you).