Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by PapaPalpatine »

The Last Jedi was Luke tripping balls after drinking too much green milk. Once he snaps back into reality, he asks the girl standing before him the following questions:
1) "Who are you?"
2) "What are you doing here?"
3) "How did you get my father's lightsaber?"
4) "Was there a hand attached to that? Because the Terminator here chafes like a motherf**ker."
5) "Can I interest you in some porg sausage for breakfast?"
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The Vulcans believe they'd have destroyed themselves if it weren't for Surak, but the Romulans have a distinct lack of being extinct (unless the weird, FTL nova caught them all).

I think the Romulans went for quieter warfare, with manipulation and treachery favored instead of outright warfare, at least for inter-Romulan conflicts, and Romulan pride has kept them at it. If you can out-think your enemy, you may be able to claim better reason for ruling over him than just blowing him to bits.

This has stopped them from developing technology much faster than humans, as new discoveries are reflexively kept secret, but it's also kept them around.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Romulans

Romulan culture is actually normally very violent, passionate, and dangerous but it's currenly under a brutal authoritarian dictatorship ala North Korea which has run it into the ground. Traditionally, Romulans are kind of murderous but only in the Princess Bride Spainard sort of way. The Vulcans who almost destroyed themselves were the worst of their kind.

Timeline

The ST: Discovery is the result of the Enterprise going back in First Contact, the Voyager screwing with the timeline in the 90s, and the whole Temporal Cold War nonsense. As a general rule, the technology is far more advanced than it was in Kirk's original timeline as well as the Klingons being in a far weaker position than they were in Korg's position.

The Klingons we see are also Southern Klingons, which are bigger bulkier Klingons than Northern Klingons.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

The Klingons as seen in STD are the result of the show's creative team vaping laundry detergent...

Oh wait, that actually happened. Carry on.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 am Romulans

Romulan culture is actually normally very violent, passionate, and dangerous but it's currenly under a brutal authoritarian dictatorship ala North Korea which has run it into the ground. Traditionally, Romulans are kind of murderous but only in the Princess Bride Spainard sort of way. The Vulcans who almost destroyed themselves were the worst of their kind.

Timeline

The ST: Discovery is the result of the Enterprise going back in First Contact, the Voyager screwing with the timeline in the 90s, and the whole Temporal Cold War nonsense. As a general rule, the technology is far more advanced than it was in Kirk's original timeline as well as the Klingons being in a far weaker position than they were in Korg's position.

The Klingons we see are also Southern Klingons, which are bigger bulkier Klingons than Northern Klingons.
As with ST: Discovery's timeline I just chalk everything up to be in another universe. It's not the universe that had the original Kirk or Spock but also not the Mirror Universe or any of the Mirror Universes tangents. It's is its own thing and it wasn't the result of any time traveling meddling.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Been thinking a bit about the Borg, and the whole 'Why do they keep sending just one cube?' thing w-slash-r-slash-t attempting to conquer the Federation. Now granted I kind of dismiss a lot of the later Borg appearances (particularly Queenie's contribution) in favour of their more enigmatic original presentation, but, maybe they're not trying to conquer the Federation as such, they just received a garbled signal from the Arctic One Borg in Enterprise that told them little more than 'Borg' and 'Earth', and they're trying to find out what was up with that. Except because they're Borg, they jump straight to assimilating Earth because that's what they do and all they do.

It's not really a very complex bit of headcanon (and as I say, rather inconsistent with later Borg), but I like the idea that the Federation's greatest mortal enemy isn't actually trying, and they're so divorced from the notion of individual experience that they can conduct a massive (to us) military offensive without their, for want of a better term, higher brain functions thinking anything is going on besides "I wonder what that signal was, send a probe to check it out."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I had that idea as well.

A headcanon I had a long time ago was the Borg stopped trying when they got all of the libraries of the Federation vessels and that gave them 99% of what they wanted from humanity. They're after knowledge not bodies.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Independent George wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:37 am I like to pretend that in Legend of Korra, what they call 'platinum' is what we call 'titanium'.
YESS> YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES>
you have NO FLIPPING IDEA how much the un-bendable "platinum" robots bugged me. It's super rare/expensive, soft as butter and heavy as fuck. It is the least fucking practical material for building giant robots ever.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

well unless your goal is corrosion resistance
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:25 pm
Independent George wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:37 am I like to pretend that in Legend of Korra, what they call 'platinum' is what we call 'titanium'.
YESS> YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES>
you have NO FLIPPING IDEA how much the un-bendable "platinum" robots bugged me. It's super rare/expensive, soft as butter and heavy as fuck. It is the least fucking practical material for building giant robots ever.
I kinda wondered about that since like 90% of the platinum on earth comes out one of specific region, it makes me wonder how they could find enough to make an army of mecha-tanks with platinum armor. Then again this is the same world where the polar caps go through night and day just like the rest of the planet...

I can see how bending a pure metal would be impossible but pure metals are usually weak. Iron by itself is actually kinda soft, not as soft as gold but soft enough it has trouble holding an edge.