VOY: Imperfection

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Re: VOY: Imperfection

Post by SuccubusYuri »

I kinda always head-canoned that Seven's implants can't be removed entirely (like say, Picard, or even the Unimatrix Zero hamsters) because of her experience in the maturation chamber. Her body developed with dependencies on the implants, and thus she can't be completely de-Borgified due to some significant gaps in her brain. That always made some sense to me.

Makes less sense that the Doctor can do it with a wave of his de-newting wand, unlike Picard who theoretically had an entire medical base working on him.
Tonesthegeek
Redshirt

Post by Tonesthegeek »

Ive been waiting for Chuck to review this one as well. I always felt that despite the flaws the series may have had as a whole, the writers did shine when it came to developing Seven's maternal bond with Icheb. Even without words, you can see it in the actors performances, when Icheb tells seven he wants to join Starfleet, you can see subtly that she's expressing pride in him but it's cut short by her implants malfunctioning.

On a side note, my initial thoughts this episode was actually what went on in the later episode when she was attempting to experiance emotion, that her implants and her humanity were in conflict and perhaps this would lead to her losing some more of her Borg tech. This was further enforced when the Alcove first said the interface was no longer compatible, meaning she may have to begin living more like a human would (sleeping, sitting, eating real food, etc.). But it quickly becomes the dire medical condition plot of the week, no wonder Harry wasnt around for this, he must have jumped into the first escape pod he could find when he found out it was going to be one of those episodes.

Getting back to Seven and Icheb, there's a lot of great scenes Chuck seemed to gloss over. The pride moment at the beginning was one, another was their argument. When Seven let's out her cold outburst that she's dying, as if writing off any connection between them as meaningless, she immediately regrets it and then tries to say she's sorry, a rare line to hear from her.

I hope Chuck covers "Child's play" soon as that's a good seven episode that really shows how she's developed. Personally I think that episode and this one should have been swapped, perhaps switch some scenes around and have all the kids donate implants to save her then leaving at the end of the episode making their departure more emotional for her.

I'm also with Chuck, the infant Drone was completely forgotten. If they had no plans to keep her around, then they (as cold as this may seem) should have had her die due to the pathogen Janeway was considering using against the others and it's that event that makes her reconsider.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

In an attempt to cut Neelix and Voyager some slack, why I bother I'll never know though, maybe we could say that those flowers are from some sort of herb or root vegetable that needs to flower first before it can produce its edible part. The flowers Neelix brings are a by-product or something, although that does mean he has just presented her with garden waste; which is hardly flattering.
DanteC
Officer

Post by DanteC »

Maybe with Picard, the implants he had weren't as invasive? It's only in later episodes that the Borg use nanotech, so they're probably not as deeply embedded in his body than delta quadrant Borg would have (though he does get the telepathic Borg voice in his head in First Contact, so maybe there's something still there). To be fair, Locutus isn't a typical drone, maybe more in line with the Borg Queen.

It's still annoying that, as Chuck mentioned in Unimatrix Zero, Janeway's master plan involved herself and some of her crew getting borgied, with the likelihood of missing eyes and/or limbs to go with it. Janeway and Tuvok might buy into it for the sake of Starfleet and all that, but Torres? Can't see that happening. Considering how well those kids look, let alone 7 with keeping their limbs intact, they got off lucky.

On the note of the borg baby, to quote Brannon Braga, "The Borg baby was prepared in a delicious orange glaze sauce by Neelix. Just kidding. The baby was returned to its people, which you did not see depicted in an episode. We considered showing it onscreen, but decided it would be best to focus on the remaining Borg kids. They have given us some great story material so far."
And for years, I only ever saw the part about Neelix using it as part of his food supply.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

I think it's more likely that babies are expensive in Hollywood and they don't take direction well.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Picard was captured, borgified, rescued and cured all within a month.
Janeway and Icheb likewise all within a month.
7 of 9 had Borg implants for 12 years and more.

TPTB could have explained why 7 needed to keep some implants...

But that would have involved the "C" word.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Naomi Wildman was basically MIA in season 7, too.

But another Nine, eh? Is this the summer of Voyager love? Bonus points for pronouncing "Manu Intiraymi" !!
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
TK99
Redshirt

Post by TK99 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 pm In an attempt to cut Neelix and Voyager some slack, why I bother I'll never know though, maybe we could say that those flowers are from some sort of herb or root vegetable that needs to flower first before it can produce its edible part. The flowers Neelix brings are a by-product or something, although that does mean he has just presented her with garden waste; which is hardly flattering.
Yeah, some fruit bearing plants require flowering first in order to fertilize the cells that will become seeds and the fruit that covers them. Which means Neelix may have prevented food from being grown because he pulled the flowers out before they could produce food.

Thereby saving Chuck's hatred and disdain for the Hedgehog of doom.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

you could also look at it that some of the flowing plants where for something else like they help other plants in that they release something into the soil to help like nitrogen or other things (normally done by bacteria or other such things as these are alien plants in some cases they might have evolved to need another plant to grow or its just something that is natural i don't think its that bad. or it could be something like on andromeda a plant that is just extremely efficient at recycling oxygen so they grow them to complement the o2 production. just an idea.

what id really like to have seen is the kids stay on because i would have liked to see them in something like shattered where they where all officers and had become part of the crew and still out rank harry