Transformers - Call of the Primitives

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Transformers - Call of the Primitives

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/tr ... ss3e24.php

This is a pretty decent episode, and one of the best looking ones to boot (aside from undead Windcharger running by in the background and the weird pose Predaking is in when he combines towards the end)

Surprised he didn't bring that, or some of the other weird tidbits about this episode like it's the only cartoon appearance of Slugfest and Overkill, the Japanese version saying Primacron's assistant becomes Vector Sigma, etc...

Or the fact that Donald F. Glut, despite writing more episodes than anyone else (except maybe David Wise) hated the show.
chaos42
Officer

Re: Transformers - Call of the Primitives

Post by chaos42 »

to be honest the origin story here is kinda weak. when they told the origin for future series making unicron a dark god of destruction while primus the one of creation that created the transformers worked a lot better i think
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

chaos42 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:07 am to be honest the origin story here is kinda weak. when they told the origin for future series making unicron a dark god of destruction while primus the one of creation that created the transformers worked a lot better i think
Yeah, it goes without saying that the backstory Furman developed for Unicron and his relation to the Transformers as a whole works far, far better than the story presented in CotP. I honestly don't think there's anyone who prefers this to be quite honest.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

What I find interesting thinking about is is a comparison to a later two part episode.

Here, it's wisdom (albeit slightly crazed wisdom) that has has to be stopped from destroying everything.

Where later, in "The Return of Optimus Prime", it's wisdom that has to save the entire universe from madness.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

I really, really hate this episode, because I hate any throwaway episode that has high stakes. If the whole universe is in danger, it should be epic. Otherwise, you've just made every other episode seem low stakes by comparison. It's also a problem with "Forever is a Long Time Coming," where the time machine device could destroy everything. (It's also why I hate the TOS episode "The Alternative Factor"). It's also why I dislike much of Chris Claremont's output from the mid/late-2000s (haven't read anything by him since then) - of course, that has the added joy of "let's put the fact that the universe or even the multiverse is in danger out there, and then futz around ignoring it until the last few pages of the last issue of this story, at which point we just pull something out of our rear end and declare it solved."

And the end solution is just weak - Tornadron has an "off switch."
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
TheLibrarian
Redshirt

Post by TheLibrarian »

I remember hating this episode as a kid. I was a huge Wheeljack fan and S1 implied he created the Dinobots, and this completely retconned that. Being a weak episode that teamed up all the dumbest characters didn't help either. It's like if TNG's "Samaritan Snare" cut the Picard heart surgery plot short to double the number of Pakled scenes.
TheLibrarian
Redshirt

Post by TheLibrarian »

G-Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 am I really, really hate this episode, because I hate any throwaway episode that has high stakes. If the whole universe is in danger, it should be epic. Otherwise, you've just made every other episode seem low stakes by comparison...(It's also why I hate the TOS episode "The Alternative Factor").
Full agreement. About this episode and "The Alternative Factor". Almost every other episode of TOS Season 1 ranges from being a solid hour of television to an enduring classic of the genre. Even "Mudd's Women" at least introduces us to Harry Mudd. But "The Alternative Factor" is such a steaming turd of an episode. The most dull near-apocalypse centred around the most uninteresting guest character ever.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

G-Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:10 am I really, really hate this episode, because I hate any throwaway episode that has high stakes. If the whole universe is in danger, it should be epic. Otherwise, you've just made every other episode seem low stakes by comparison. It's also a problem with "Forever is a Long Time Coming," where the time machine device could destroy everything. (It's also why I hate the TOS episode "The Alternative Factor"). It's also why I dislike much of Chris Claremont's output from the mid/late-2000s (haven't read anything by him since then) - of course, that has the added joy of "let's put the fact that the universe or even the multiverse is in danger out there, and then futz around ignoring it until the last few pages of the last issue of this story, at which point we just pull something out of our rear end and declare it solved."

And the end solution is just weak - Tornadron has an "off switch."
Your comment about high stakes is right on the money. It's why I have trouble enjoying Librarians without a strong beer.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

CMWaters wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:55 am What I find interesting thinking about is is a comparison to a later two part episode.

Here, it's wisdom (albeit slightly crazed wisdom) that has has to be stopped from destroying everything.

Where later, in "The Return of Optimus Prime", it's wisdom that has to save the entire universe from madness.
Intelligence and wisdom are not the same things.

This eisode revolves around the typical Mad Scientist archetype of an individual with a high amount of the former and little to none of the latter.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

"A master swordsman does not fear another master swordsman. He fears a rank amateur, because he cannot predict what the fool will do next."

At least he Dinobots went out as heroes. It is rumored that Grimlock still wanders the universe, defeating geniuses for the good of all, with his own brand of heroics.