Should we defund ICE?

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Should we defund ICE?

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

ICE whistleblower who resigned because his administration superiors told him to lie to the public has had his CBS news interview interrupted by federal agents. In the news of Totally Normal, Not Totalitarian, Not Corrupt things.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/cbs-news- ... al-agents/
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Pregnant women in ICE denied medical care
https://nypost.com/2018/07/09/pregnant- ... practices/
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 am Pregnant women in ICE denied medical care
Their sources is buzzfeed. If this was true, we'd be hearing it from Fox news
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

excalibur wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 am Pregnant women in ICE denied medical care
Their sources is buzzfeed. If this was true, we'd be hearing it from Fox news
If it was false, we'd be hearing it from Fox News. They lie a lot, and generally in favor of our current president.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Well Fuzzy, the Republicans are eager to give you what you want.
House GOP leaders plan to bring a Democratic measure calling for the abolishment of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to the House floor, hoping to force Democrats into a difficult vote.

The Democratic bill, introduced Thursday, would create a commission to examine ICE’s responsibilities and then recommend transferring them to other agencies.

Republicans see the growing “abolish ICE” movement as a political winner that will make at least some Democrats running in swing districts uncomfortable.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

LittleRaven wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:47 pm Well Fuzzy, the Republicans are eager to give you what you want.
House GOP leaders plan to bring a Democratic measure calling for the abolishment of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to the House floor, hoping to force Democrats into a difficult vote.

The Democratic bill, introduced Thursday, would create a commission to examine ICE’s responsibilities and then recommend transferring them to other agencies.

Republicans see the growing “abolish ICE” movement as a political winner that will make at least some Democrats running in swing districts uncomfortable.
Too bad the narrative has now shifted from immigration polices to the new SCOTUS nominee
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Trigger warning for child sex abuse
https://www.thenation.com/article/six-y ... on-center/
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Question: In your opinion, Should we defund ICE?

No.
Reasons: As others brought up, local border enforcement will be varied at best. A broad organization needs to be in place to go where they need to and put a uniform level of enforcement in place. Tasking an existing organization dooms the concept. The FBI for example would need to balance border patrol needs versus investigating organized crime in major cities. As just one example where the infrastructure will work against the task in a broad organization. You also need to specialize skill sets. The rules and laws pertaining immigration versus wiretap laws mean agents would be less prepared. So a smaller more focused organization can allocate funding more efficiently for the task at hand. Or it had better be.
What is wrong with ICE? Probably too many things to list. Before reading this thread I watched a news video of a woman detained for and by ICE. She had committed no crime and had gone to the police station to collect property held after a vehicular accident. It took hours before she was permitted to make a phone call to get a relative to bring her passport card to the ICE facility. She has been a properly naturalized citizen for twenty years. I need to state that again. A naturalized citizen for twenty years. She was picked up, held, and questioned as though she had committed a crime because she has an accent. This reminds me of a Cheech Marin movie. But nothing funny about it.
To me this does not mean the organization should cease to exist. It means it should be put under a microscope and be properly administered. Bureaucratically every town should have a duty officer with limited ICE authority. You suspect someone. You ask for identification. If not carrying it, who has it. And at all times remain polite and professional. ALL officers of the law should be held to a high standard.

Now that I have that out of my system. I have a related question. Alright so the immigration system to the US seems a bit lengthy and convoluted. How does it compare to other nations?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Well, the really depressing thing is it's STILL better than that used by some other industrialized nations. =/ In Japan, even being born there doesn't automatically make you a citizen, and Australia basically has a "No Fatties" sign at the border.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

https://www.ibtimes.com/child-dead-afte ... er-2704521
Every time they do something evil, I'm gonna post about it here.