Sessions announces new "religious liberty task force"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Sessions announces new "religious liberty task force"

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/30/politics ... index.html

Well, as a member of a religious minority and a bisexual, I'm slightly more terrified than usual. How about ya'll?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Sessions announces new "religious liberty task force"

Post by Madner Kami »

I'd worry if I were an atheist in the USofA, not so much when you are a christian of any denomination. If you are a member of a different sect, you may worry as well, but Atheists are certainly the first ones to be targeted, so you have some warning time.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:48 am https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/30/politics ... index.html

Well, as a member of a religious minority and a bisexual, I'm slightly more terrified than usual. How about ya'll?
Play stupid games with Nuns and Pizza places, win prizes.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

This part: “In short, we have not only the freedom to worship—but the right to exercise our faith. The Constitution’s protections don’t end at the parish parking lot nor can our freedoms be confined to our basements [...]” tells you everything you need to know about the real motives here. The "liberty" in the title is the liberty to impose their religion on others regardless of their wishes or the consequences. The victim complex held by this small but powerful sect of evangelical Christians is truly worrying; it's exceptionally motivating for their support base and allows them to commit oppressive acts like this despite it being a violation of the First Amendment (which they fail to understand protects them as well), because it's an acceptable solution inside of their siege mentality.

"Sessions said the cultural climate in this country — and in the West more generally — has become less hospitable to people of faith in recent years, and as a result many Americans have felt their freedom to practice their faith has been under attack."
Religious freedom is not under attack in this country, except possibly by them. But the fear of it has increased (due to their own constant rhetoric), so that's what they're addressing. It's a convenient self-energizing system of political power.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 am Religious freedom is not under attack in this country, except possibly by them. But the fear of it has increased (due to their own constant rhetoric), so that's what they're addressing. It's a convenient self-energizing system of political power.
Along with the death of Free Speech in general, progressives have killed everything related to the First Amendment. It is to the point where, a religious (Christian) person can state there preference for traditional marriage or dislike of abortion and progressives will attempt to label the person a NAZI and try to ruin there life by contacting their place of work or friends and family. From Chick Fil A to Hobby Lobby, Christian business owners who break no traditional law but are found guilty in the court of public opinion of being Christian in the First Degree.

You know, Atheists of the day had no problems tackling Christianity, but Islam? Judaism? Not so much. I wonder why :roll:
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Ahhh, the times we live in, when something like this pops up and everyone leaps over their group being the one targeted.
You know, Atheists of the day had no problems tackling Christianity, but Islam? Judaism? Not so much. I wonder why :roll:
Care to be more specific about the latter one?

I recently watched a show about Orthodox Jews in Israel and the frustrating issues of women doing everything in family life while the men sit around doing nothing in between their Torah studies.

Bringing up the issues of religious Jews isn't a problem, it's going into the territory of Secular Jews that starts to go into looking on them on an archetypal level that begins to raise ugly, old heads, which I find amusing since the Secular ones are neither fish nor fowl, stuck between worlds, having little to nothing with their people's religion.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Beastro wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:39 pm Ahhh, the times we live in, when something like this pops up and everyone leaps over their group being the one targeted.
Care to be more specific about the latter one?

I recently watched a show about Orthodox Jews in Israel and the frustrating issues of women doing everything in family life while the men sit around doing nothing in between their Torah studies.

Bringing up the issues of religious Jews isn't a problem, it's going into the territory of Secular Jews that starts to go into looking on them on an archetypal level that begins to raise ugly, old heads, which I find amusing since the Secular ones are neither fish nor fowl, stuck between worlds, having little to nothing with their people's religion.
Criticizing those who study the Torah and the Torah itself, not the same thing. Unless the Torah says to spend all day doing nothing but study the Torah.

The problem is the conflation of the Individual and the group, culture and race, religion and its followers. It just so happens Jews are right in the middle of all three.

Care to address the Fez wearing elephant in the room?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

The problem is the conflation of the Individual and the group, culture and race, religion and its followers. It just so happens Jews are right in the middle of all three.
Which has been the norm for most of human history until the advent of Christianity and all it introduced that is the fiber of our culture, even if it has been resisted every inch of the way.
Antiboyscout wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:49 pm Care to address the Fez wearing elephant in the room?
Judging by what's been increasingly talked about on the internet about Jews, no. We have enough tension on this sub-forum as it is and there's more than plenty of other sites with that chatter going on.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Antiboyscout wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:00 pmYou know, Atheists of the day had no problems tackling Christianity, but Islam? Judaism? Not so much. I wonder why :roll:
Atheists of the day? Is this like a YouTube channel or something? Or do you just mean atheists in the US/Europe?

I mean, if you're an atheist in the United States, then you're probably going to find yourself getting annoyed at Christians way more often than Muslims or Jews just because there's a whole lot more Christianity than anything else around. And if you're an atheist in the Middle East, you're probably dead, unless you've learned to be very circumspect, and either way, you're pretty quiet.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:21 am I'd worry if I were an atheist in the USofA, not so much when you are a christian of any denomination. If you are a member of a different sect, you may worry as well, but Atheists are certainly the first ones to be targeted, so you have some warning time.
I said a religious minority, so yeah, I mean NOT a Christian. I'm not even Abrahamic, but I fully expect the Jewish People and Muslims will be fucked way before I am.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville