Sessions announces new "religious liberty task force"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Sessions announces new "religious liberty task force"

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:48 am https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/30/politics ... index.html

Well, as a member of a religious minority and a bisexual, I'm slightly more terrified than usual. How about ya'll?
Play stupid games with Nuns and Pizza places, win prizes.
Would you mind explaining just what the Hell Michigan you are talking about?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Beastro wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:01 pm
The problem is the conflation of the Individual and the group, culture and race, religion and its followers. It just so happens Jews are right in the middle of all three.
Which has been the norm for most of human history until the advent of Christianity and all it introduced that is the fiber of our culture, even if it has been resisted every inch of the way.
Antiboyscout wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:49 pm Care to address the Fez wearing elephant in the room?
Judging by what's been increasingly talked about on the internet about Jews, no. We have enough tension on this sub-forum as it is and there's more than plenty of other sites with that chatter going on.
Did you not notice the word FEZ in there? Your zeroing in on Jew at the expense of everything else only helps my case.

To spell it out more directly:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/the ... sm-dawkins

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 51141.html
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:14 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:48 am https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/30/politics ... index.html

Well, as a member of a religious minority and a bisexual, I'm slightly more terrified than usual. How about ya'll?
Forcing Nuns to pay for contraception and the Memories Pizza, the Walkerton, Indiana restaurant incident.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Antiboyscout wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:09 am Did you not notice the word FEZ in there?
You're reading into it too much. A Fez is a silly hat that went out of fashion a hundred years ago.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:01 am

Forcing Nuns to pay for contraception and the Memories Pizza, the Walkerton, Indiana restaurant incident.
So, saying that catholic businesses still have to provide health care coverage with their employee healthcare, and boycotting or whatever the "No homo" pizza place provoked the creation of a big scary "Religious Liberties" task force?

Are you saying this is the consequence that all religious minorities and LGBTQ people get because some people wanted birth control and didn't like the homophobic pizza joint?
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

Just what's this new task force supposed to do? I suppose they'll sue to let county clerks keep their jobs if they refuse to obey the law for religious reasons.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm

So, saying that catholic businesses still have to provide health care coverage with their employee healthcare, and boycotting or whatever the "No homo" pizza place provoked the creation of a big scary "Religious Liberties" task force?

Are you saying this is the consequence that all religious minorities and LGBTQ people get because some people wanted birth control and didn't like the homophobic pizza joint?
That and hardcore culture warring after victory did.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Steve wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:47 am Just what's this new task force supposed to do? I suppose they'll sue to let county clerks keep their jobs if they refuse to obey the law for religious reasons.
This seems like the most likely immediate outcome.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:16 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm

That and hardcore culture warring after victory did.
Either that was a "yes" or you need to elaborate on your meaning.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Steve wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:47 am Just what's this new task force supposed to do? I suppose they'll sue to let county clerks keep their jobs if they refuse to obey the law for religious reasons.
The task force isn't going to DO anything. It's the equivalent of Obama's Task Force on Reducing Gun Violence. Remember that bad boy? I'll forgive you if you don't. You don't have any reason to. It never did anything. It was never supposed to do anything. The creation of task forces like this isn't about some tangible result, it's about signalling to your base that yes, yes, you hear them already.

The President of the United States can do a lot of things, but there's a lot of things they can't do. Obama literally couldn't do anything about our gun issues...they stem from areas outside of his control. But his base was desperate for him to do something after Sandy Hook, so he did the only thing he could - he created a meaningless task force. Trump cannot actually do anything about changing cultural mores or a judicial ruling against a county clerk, but his base demands action - so he'll create a task force. The task force won't have any real authority or power, but it will no doubt meet a few times and draft some reports that nobody will ever read or care about. And that's fine, because the purpose of the task force was the announcement, not the end result.