SG1: Seth

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: SG1: Seth

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Beastro wrote: It in no way went into religious bashing and it it went so far as to undermine itself in little ways coming off pussy footing. The exchange between Landry and Mitchell is the one that stood out to me, as was what I vaguely recall of the Ori drawing from real religious texts in some way when making the Book of Origin. It was the part where one of the priests was preaching by a Stargate and Mitchell marched out from the gate toward him finishing off his lines by quoting the Bible.

I could see if they wanted a Medieval feeling to make the whole Merlin subplot mesh better, but from what I gather that was raised and then never really dealt with until the TV movie about it. It was at the very least a very half-hearted and limp attempt at integrating Camelot into Stagate.
To me the whole Ori storyline is an unsuccessful rehash of the show's glory days. Overall, the show is an interesting example of the problems that come up with long-running shows. I can understand the need to move plots forward, but Earth became so technologically advanced that there is no real conflict, it becomes a game of technological rock-paper-scissors.

The Camelot stuff had a couple nice moments, but in the end it really didn't feel like they took a meaningful stand about anything, which cast doubt on the value of the whole enterprise.
The problem with Universe was not so much that they went too serious compared to what was established at the the expected tone of Stargate, the light-hearted one that complemented the odd episode of dead seriousness, but that they what can only be called "try hard". It came off more like an adolescent trying to act mature and tough than true maturity.

That and the fact it came out far too late behind the BSG remake that it was long stale as a imitator. That in and of itself isn't bad, original BSG was that very thing with regard to Star Wars, and despite the whole talk of rip off and legal trouble, it presented a very different and interesting take on the spiritual Sci-Fi kicked off by Star Wars. I just wish they'd had more of the episodes that approached good than the filler since they either went into the Colonies background or the Mormon spiritual undertones of the show, which I always find intriguing since whenever you settle into thinking it's going to be just straight up a Calcedonian Christian take someone comes up that reminds of of the reasons why Mormons hover on the periphery of Christainity despite being mostly run of the mill American Prods.
Yep, I agree on both counts. Universe got better when it loosened up a bit in the second season, but it never really earned its drama. BSG had characters who just happened to survive an apocalyptic scenario and deal with the psychological damage that comes with that and being constantly hunted. Universe presents unhinged, unprofessional characters, conveniently ignoring the fact that these people mostly don't deal with enemies and were specifically trained (with a couple of exceptions) for a top secret offworld program. Heck, the showrunners even made the mindboggling decision of giving them a way to communicate with and visit Earth whenever they feel like it by the third episode. These just weren't the people to make that sort of show, and by 2010 the fact that they claimed it was "darker" or "more mature" shouldn't have been enough to impress anyone. "Try hard" is the right description.

As far as the original BSG, it was far ahead of its contemporary sci-fi shows in many ways, and several of the ideas they play around with would easily translate to compelling television today. It's unfortunate that some aspects of the show were either underdeveloped or simply poorly (or cheesily) done.
The owls are not what they seem.
YAGWG
Redshirt

Post by YAGWG »

Chuck should never underestimate the power of Dave: in the UK, he has his own TV channel named after him.
Creator: The Warren McArthur Chronicles

When in doubt, make a cheese sandwich...
APlotdevice
Redshirt

Post by APlotdevice »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 am
Ghilz wrote:Yeah, for a franchise who has villains impersonating famous gods, Stargate was awful at mythology. This episode isn't better when Daniel traces Seth's steps through history and mentions how he must've been Typhon coz it's also a made up creature. Well by that Standard, Seth must've been a lot of faiths at the same time coz made up critters aren't that rare. Typhon was a monster with 100 snake heads (Among other snake-related things).
Yeah, but SG-1 never really pretended to be serious, hard sci-fi. It was silly supercheese, it knew it, it embraced it. And really, that was half the fun of it.

The only thing that really annoyed me in that department is that we never got a Goa'uld named Yahweh. But then the Ori kind of made up for that, so.
Yeah, that was the real flaw in Universe: it took a campy franchise and tried to make it depressingly serious.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I had absolutely no problems with the premise. Seth has everything he could want as a cult leader so why would he want to draw attention to himself?

But it is kind of hilarious people assume the majority of Stargate-SG1 fans are going to be atheists. The idea of science fiction being the home of skepticism with its inspiration from fantasy, miracles, mythology, and speculating on alien intelligence means that it's always been particularly popular with the religious crowd.

The second most/most popular sci-fi of all time is a pro-religious track (Star Wars).

Stargate-SG1 also is kind of less anti-theist than perhaps some of its people want it to be the same way Battlestar Galactica is more theist than perhaps some of its fans wanted it to be. Mostly because while the Gould utterly shit on religion, the Ancients are basically Ascended Humans/Saints/Gods and the Aesir are a bunch of benevolent Grays.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 am Stargate-SG1 also is kind of less anti-theist than perhaps some of its people want it to be the same way Battlestar Galactica is more theist than perhaps some of its fans wanted it to be. Mostly because while the Gould utterly shit on religion, the Ancients are basically Ascended Humans/Saints/Gods and the Aesir are a bunch of benevolent Grays.
I think there's only a slight bit of drift there that occurred over the course of the show. The anti-theism Goa'uld themes were pretty strong at the start, and the others only added complexity to it. The Aesir are revealed to be explicitly a "they just have better tech" race and aren't worshiped in any way by the show. The fact that they were benevolent "Gods" in opposition to the Goa'uld didn't undermine that message, it just meant they were powerful allies instead of antagonists when the curtain came down. All the way until the end, including the Ori storyline, the main themes against faith in unassailable immortals remained. The Ancients were not infallible nor worthy of unquestioned adoration, and they were the ones the show had built up as being ones the audience would identify with and feel more charitable toward than the cartoonishly-evil Goa'uld.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I always felt the Ori kind of undermined the whole purpose of the show. Because they are gods. EVIL gods. But the whole argument against them is hurt because they are immaterial supernatural beings who interact with their faithful and prayers.

No less supernatural than Sauron.

But I agree, the theme was stronger in previous seasons.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I agree. I don't recall feeling that they ever really nailed that storyline down quite enough. It felt rushed and tacked-on. I don't hate it as much as some do, but it wasn't the strongest plot they had by far. I really think they needed to lead into it with the hints they had with Kinsey's situation later in the show, but I think they may have been unable to make the connection explicit.