That Gay Shit

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nessus
Officer

Re: That Gay Shit

Post by Nessus »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:I tried Clive Barker's "The Hellbound Heart" but it didn't work for me. Weaveworld was okay though. Does he have a squick content level that's as high as Octavia Butler, or is he a bit more restrained generally?
I haven't actually read any Octavia Butler yet myself, so I don't know how they compare.

The Hellbound Heart is IMO a little on the weak side, mostly famous for being the basis for the first Hellraiser movie. I recommend picking up one of the "Books of Blood" anthologies to get a decent sampling of his style. They are a very mixed bag of short stories, but being short stories, you're not out much if only a couple in a given volume are to your taste.

As far as the novels go, IMO Imajica stands out. It's a big & colorful fantasy epic with a bi or late-blooming gay protagonist. Imagine Kill Six Billion Demons as written by a gay Lars Von Trier, and you'll be in the right ballpark. I love it for its imagination, but at the same time would caution about not taking it's themes too seriously, as it gets very author tract-y on certain subjects in a way that says way, WAY more about the author (in an "unfortunate implications" sort of way, sadly) than the intended subject. That sounds like a weak recommendation, but it's not meant as such: it's like an ornate vase with a big crack in it: beautiful enough to display regardless of its inability to hold water.
Crowley
Officer

Post by Crowley »

From Barker, you might want to try Cabal. It doesn't explicitly deal with homosexuality from what I recall, but the subtext is pretty damn obvious with a community of "different" people and a close-minded small town crowd who are easily roused into hounding them. And if that part doesn't work for you, there's also an insane serial killer in the mix.
Anduinel
Redshirt

Post by Anduinel »

Mostly comics and superhero stuff:

The Posterchildren by Kitty Burroughs (paperback, digital)
Midnighter and Midnighter & Apollo (DC comics; ultraviolent superhero)
Constantine: The Hellblazer (DC comics; horror book)
Wonder Woman (DC comics; Wondy's officially bi as of the most recent series)
Batwoman (DC comics)
Astonishing X-Men: the Northstar, Weaponized, X-Termination, and Unmasked collections (Marvel; Northstar's wedding, DOMA drama)
Avengers Academy (Marvel)
Memetic (Boom!; this will almost certainly scratch your horror itch!)
Cognetic (Boom!; ditto!)
The Woods (Boom!; by the same guy who did Memetic and Cognetic)
The Fuse (Image Comics; cop procedural on a space station; think Chief Garibaldi's worst day every day)
No Mercy (Image Comics; this is a pretty rough read, btw. well-written, but... well, the title is accurate)
Virgil (Image Comics; ultraviolent gaysploitation drama)
Raven: The Pirate Princess (Action Lab comics; all ages)
The Spire (Boom!; dark fantasy; the aesthetic is pretty much "old-school Jim Henson movies on bad drugs")
Cry Havoc (Image; urban fantasy, lesbian werewolf goes to war)
Storm Dogs (Image; gritty space procedural; think CSI meets Firefly at the Mos Eisley cantina)
Kaptara (Image; someone started playing with their old He-Man figures while high, and this was the result; fucking hilarious)
Superbia (Boom!; the dysfunctional domestic lives of superheroes)