Chris Pine is out of next Trek movie

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Chris Pine is out of next Trek movie

Post by MrL1992 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 88196.html

Both Chris Pine (James. T Kirk) and Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk) have reportedly drooped out of the project due to contract disputes,

This movie eas planned to centre Kirk and his father reuniting via means we can only guess (Star Trek time travel method no 68 I guess).so what on Earth do they do now? They say its still happening and all the other Kelvin timeline actors are signed.

I see five potential outcomes:

1) Continue without a Kirk, make Spock the Captain and have the father/son storyline with him or another crew member (McCoy maybe? Expand oj TFF's one good scene?)

2) Recast the Kirks. They've done it before then why not? My only concern is if this particular kind of story is the best for introducing hew actors into the roles, it feels like you'd want to properly acclimate the audience the them first.

3) Scramble to get Pine and Hemsworth back.

4) continue without Kirk but scrap the current script and put together a new story.

5) Re-focus on Quentin Tarintino's proposed project with or without the current actors.

No I don't see them giving up on tube franchise nor Paramount and CBS resolving their issues, so no prime timeline return eithet. Sorrybto those of you wjo dislike these movies.

Quite a conundrum hm?
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Chris Pine is out of next Trek movie

Post by Karha of Honor »

I got what i hoped for which was a trilogy. Now i just hope for the best with no expectations.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MrL1992 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:40 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 88196.html

Both Chris Pine (James. T Kirk) and Chris Hemsworth (George Kirk) have reportedly drooped out of the project due to contract disputes,

This movie eas planned to centre Kirk and his father reuniting via means we can only guess (Star Trek time travel method no 68 I guess).so what on Earth do they do now? They say its still happening and all the other Kelvin timeline actors are signed.

1) Continue without a Kirk, make Spock the Captain and have the father/son storyline with him or another crew member (McCoy maybe? Expand oj TFF's one good scene?)

2) Recast the Kirks. They've done it before then why not? My only concern is if this particular kind of story is the best for introducing hew actors into the roles, it feels like you'd want to properly acclimate the audience the them first.

4) continue without Kirk but scrap the current script and put together a new story.

5) Re-focus on Quentin Tarintino's proposed project with or without the current actors.

No I don't see them giving up on tube franchise nor Paramount and CBS resolving their issues, so no prime timeline return eithet. Sorrybto those of you wjo dislike these movies.

Quite a conundrum hm?
6) Reboot Star Trek The Next Generation. You just know they want to bring back the Borg.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

7 - Drop Hemsworth to keep Pine in. Redo the script.

8 - Replace Hemsworth with Jennifer Morrison or Winona Ryder and retool the story.

For the moment, the echo chamber is making it sound more dire than it really is. The source article at The Hollywood Reporter indicates difficult negotiations are afoot. An overt announcement that Pine is out is basically an admission that Star Trek Babies is over -- and that has not happened yet.

Hemsworth was cast for bankability, but Pine is essential. If it's down to the budget, they'll cut Hemsworth to save the production. They could try to recast the senior Kirk, but Hemsworth can make that troublesome for the studio if not veto it outright. But they can still do a similar intergenerational story with Jennifer Morrison or Winona Ryder.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:50 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:40 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 88196.html

Quite a conundrum hm?
6) Reboot Star Trek The Next Generation. You just know they want to bring back the Borg.
Again? What is wrong with reusing something more rarely used?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Quite a conundrum hm?
TNG is equal to TOS in being a cultural zeitgeist - that means that it is the next best option to make lots of $$$. And of all of the original enemies in TNG, the Borg are the most famous and recognizable to non Trekkies, which again means $$$. That is how their minds work.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Quite a conundrum hm?
Not sure if they'd be so keen on it given the original Picard is returning on TV soon. Yes, Paramount doesn't care for what CBS does but it might be a hard sell with the original still active in another area of the franchise.

Plus, if they want the Borg, they're in an alternate timeline. Just bring their meeting with the Federation forward 100 years through whatever means. You could make them look more rudimentary and rough. I see more opportunity for something interesting there honestly.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Quite a conundrum hm?
TNG is equal to TOS in being a cultural zeitgeist - that means that it is the next best option to make lots of $$$. And of all of the original enemies in TNG, the Borg are the most famous and recognizable to non Trekkies, which again means $$$. That is how their minds work.
The Narada crew was never seen before and it worked.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Quite a conundrum hm?
The Narada crew was never seen before and it worked.
The fact that they act nothing like Romulans, look nothing like Romulans, are flying a ship that looks nothing like any other Romulan ship we have ever seen and whose only motivation was a boring ''revenge'' plot that took them twenty years for no on-screen reason has attracted plenty of criticism. The idea that they worked is very YMMV.

But you are missing the point. Ask yourself this: why bring back Khan? Of all villains in all of Star Trek, why bring back Khan? Because he is the villain from the film that most people put at number 1 on their list of best TOS films and thus he is the one that they thought would bring in the Benjamins. I'll give you a hint each as to what the number 1 episode of TNG is, and what the number 1 TNG film is.

''Mister Worf, FIRE!!!'' dun dun dun, dun dun dun.
''Borg implants can cause severe skin irritations, perhaps you would like an analgesic cream?''
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Yeah, TNG and the Borg might be interesting to revisit, but on TV. It's a pretty long leap to put it back on film. It's something that just sort of barely worked, once in the 1990s.

That being said, the whole CBS/Paramount dichotomy is overstated. If Bad Robot wants to do a TNG story suddenly, then it is going to happen.

From a purely budget standpoint, the film team is best off keeping things in the TOS era and using all the old sets on hand. Changing the era or look substantially is probably not a great idea at this exact moment.

Character drama is supposed to be cheap, too, but you can't foresee that a new actor in a small role will be a major film star 10 years later...
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K