My Little Pony: Spring Equinox Show

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
StrangeDevice
Officer

Re: My Little Pony: Spring Equinox Show

Post by StrangeDevice »

aceina wrote:
StrangeDevice wrote:
CrypticMirror wrote:
ORCACommander wrote:Is the objection to music why Chuck is avoid the 1986 Transformers movie do we think?
If I'm remembering that film correctly, it could also be because of the insanely high body count.

I scratch my head at the reflux to doing My Little Pony, I've never seen an episode but I enjoy the reviews all the same. The backlash to it strikes me as a throwback to the old "Young gels can't read Gothic novels, it warps their minds," mentality. Why let marketing rule other people's lives? *shrug* Anyway, it's nice to see another show that handles its subject matter (i.e. "friendship" and variations thereof) rather thoughtfully. It'll be interesting to see what that Rainbow Dash analysis going in the background of videos digs up.
the thing about this show is it has a lot of continuity and character development so i have a feeling i know what it is him covering rainbow dashes growth and her reaching her goals

hell once season 3 ended the show no longer had a status que as it is ever changing just like things change in RL
That is amazingly forward thinking for a show that was originally put forward to presumably sell toys. Reminds me a little of Shadow Raiders in that regard, a money shilling idea that ran away with itself and actually did something pretty fun with its subject matter.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

thanks for sending out 3 notifications because of bad quote code >_<

and yes i completely forgot the equinox was today
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:There are male Ponies?

All this time I thought they were asexually reproducing Lesbians.
I'd think the presence of a hostile army of insectoid shapeshifting succubi in a children's cartoon would be more eyebrow raising.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

No, you're thinking of whiptail lizards.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

First, I love/hate the pun. SFDebris is wonderful.

Given his objections to the musical bits, I'm surprised SFDebris didn't include the ending of Cutie Mark Chronicles, where Fluttershy says "How about a song?" and we pan out to hear scootaloo screaming "Noooo!".

"Cuz you're not getting any love looking like that."
Oh SFDebris, sweet, innocent, and naive. The changeling queen gets a LOT of love from fans, even ones who want to marry her while recognizing that she'd just suck the life essence out of them. Honestly, it reassured me a bit, knowing there's a straight male equivalent of women who fall in love with famous mass murderers.

I have watched these episodes over and over again, discussed them on forums, read about them in other reviews, and SFDebris still manages to bring new angles that I'd never even considered. I have seen Cutie Mark Chronicles many times, I have it on itunes AND dvd, and it wasn't until he pointed it out that I realized Fluttershy flies just fine when she's getting comfortable with animals.

Also, I'm glad to have something to add to my annual Spring Equinox celebration.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
StrangeDevice
Officer

Post by StrangeDevice »

ORCACommander wrote:thanks for sending out 3 notifications because of bad quote code >_<
Sharing, I call it. :P
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:"Cuz you're not getting any love looking like that."
Oh SFDebris, sweet, innocent, and naive. The changeling queen gets a LOT of love from fans, even ones who want to marry her while recognizing that she'd just suck the life essence out of them. Honestly, it reassured me a bit, knowing there's a straight male equivalent of women who fall in love with famous mass murderers.
Oh, the Yandere Effect is real across both genders. Otherwise, Light Yagami wouldn't have received the title of "best guy" or Gasai Yuno as "best girl" in some circles. It's a bit of fandom that's always fascinated me, I don't think I really understand the allure. It's got to have something to do with how evil is attractive from certain perspectives.
ScreamingDoom
Officer

Post by ScreamingDoom »

Way back in Season 2, I remember reading an article where someone did a statistical analysis on the ponies seen on screen and determined that the overall ratio of males to females in Equestria is 5:9.
StrangeDevice wrote:That is amazingly forward thinking for a show that was originally put forward to presumably sell toys. Reminds me a little of Shadow Raiders in that regard, a money shilling idea that ran away with itself and actually did something pretty fun with its subject matter.
Indeed, it's quite interesting to see the status-quo shaken up on the show from season to season as well as the progression of the characters. It's honestly gratifying to see Rarity finally open that boutique in Canterlot she's been dreaming about since Season 1 (and the problems of getting what you want but not the way you want it in that episode are great, too), for instance.

The big exception is really Applejack, as she started in a fairly good place and is content with her lot in life. It makes writing stories with her quite difficult.
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote:I have watched these episodes over and over again, discussed them on forums, read about them in other reviews, and SFDebris still manages to bring new angles that I'd never even considered. I have seen Cutie Mark Chronicles many times, I have it on itunes AND dvd, and it wasn't until he pointed it out that I realized Fluttershy flies just fine when she's getting comfortable with animals.
Nice to know I wasn't the only one to miss that!
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

RobbyB1982 wrote:I assume that Chuck's aversion to the song numbers is either just a gag (given how many of them are) or possibly just that he doesn't feel qualified to discuss music in general. Not something he's specifically studied at length or have any real insight on, so its easier to just skip them entirely than to have to try and break down any given song number.

Or some combination thereof.

(He definitely didn't like Repo!... but that's probably less that its a musical and more that Repo is kinda... iiick. ANd he hadsn't really done other musicals.)

It's kind of hard to tell where he really falls on the ponies in general when he's clearly had some really negative backlash from his audience for even doing them, which is why he keeps doing them as package episodes during what would otherwise be off-days. So what's a gag, and what's alleviating the audience with "I don't want to do this either but its my job!" is harder to tell than it is with other things.
Or he just doesn't like musical numbers since it can really take you out of the story to have the characters suddenly break into song.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

Just here to make a very important and well measured response to this video.

Fluttershy is best and cutest pony.

*wip wip wip sound effect as I run away*