Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Wish the UK would stop trying to bluff with no bloody cards in their hand. =/
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 am Wish the UK would stop trying to bluff with no bloody cards in their hand. =/
I hope they never do, because I sincerely love to watch this particular train run off the rails and fly down a really deep gorge, where it will crash and burn with sparks flying. I'm sincerely sorry for those who voted "Remain" when they had the chance and would, if I had the power to do so, make sure that they survive unscathed, but I also sincerely hope that people, on both sides of the canal, are going to learn something from that lesson in popular democracy. But as long as people still listen to what UKIP says, I have my doubts...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 am Wish the UK would stop trying to bluff with no bloody cards in their hand. =/
I hope they never do, because I sincerely love to watch this particular train run off the rails and fly down a really deep gorge, where it will crash and burn with sparks flying. I'm sincerely sorry for those who voted "Remain" when they had the chance and would, if I had the power to do so, make sure that they survive unscathed, but I also sincerely hope that people, on both sides of the canal, are going to learn something from that lesson in popular democracy. But as long as people still listen to what UKIP says, I have my doubts...
I could enjoy the shadenfruede a bit more before my country was plunged into its own dystopic frenzy. Hard to laugh from my high horse while president Neelix gets into insult matches with dangerous dictators over twitter.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 am
I could enjoy the shadenfruede a bit more before my country was plunged into its own dystopic frenzy. Hard to laugh from my high horse while president Neelix gets into insult matches with dangerous dictators over twitter.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/ ... ade-740632

What's that? Mexico is now added to the list along with the EU and China as countries that have made concessions to Trump on trade?
Nah, coudn't be. That would mean Trump knows what he's doing even a little bit... can't have that.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

'Boris speaks TRUTH those in power DARE not!' Brexiteer MP explains suicide vest backlash.
BREXITEER Tory MP Andrew Bridgen has spoken out in support of Boris Johnson after he faced a backlash for his controversial comments where he compared the Prime Minister's Brexit strategy to "wrapping a suicide vest" around the UK.
Now, I'm not British, but it seems to be that as a broad statement, this is hogwash. From my distant perspective, Boris Johnson is one of the least trustworthy politicians in Britain today.

But even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and as much as it pains me to admit it, I'm not sure Boris is entirely wrong here.
This Sunday, the former Foreign Secretary launched an explosive attack on the Prime Minister accusing her of wrapping a “suicide vest” around a “great British Brexit” and handing the detonator to the EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier.
I mean, Brexit was a mistake of truly historic proportions, but that doesn't change the fact that the Chequers plan is a disaster. You get all of the problems of EU membership that people didn't like, and you lose all control within the EU. Britain really does become a subservient state in that scenario. Not that there aren't upsides to kneeling before Germany and France, but I can't blame some Brits for not wanting to go that route.

Once Article 50 was invoked, there was no going back. And while Johnson is a liar and fool, he's not wrong about that.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

LittleRaven wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 pm 'Boris speaks TRUTH those in power DARE not!' Brexiteer MP explains suicide vest backlash.
BREXITEER Tory MP Andrew Bridgen has spoken out in support of Boris Johnson after he faced a backlash for his controversial comments where he compared the Prime Minister's Brexit strategy to "wrapping a suicide vest" around the UK.
Now, I'm not British, but it seems to be that as a broad statement, this is hogwash. From my distant perspective, Boris Johnson is one of the least trustworthy politicians in Britain today.

But even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and as much as it pains me to admit it, I'm not sure Boris is entirely wrong here.
This Sunday, the former Foreign Secretary launched an explosive attack on the Prime Minister accusing her of wrapping a “suicide vest” around a “great British Brexit” and handing the detonator to the EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier.
I mean, Brexit was a mistake of truly historic proportions, but that doesn't change the fact that the Chequers plan is a disaster. You get all of the problems of EU membership that people didn't like, and you lose all control within the EU. Britain really does become a subservient state in that scenario. Not that there aren't upsides to kneeling before Germany and France, but I can't blame some Brits for not wanting to go that route.

Once Article 50 was invoked, there was no going back. And while Johnson is a liar and fool, he's not wrong about that.
He may be right about that issue, but he is also one of the prime instigators of what he is complaining about right now. It's as if a thief is complaining about his wallet getting stolen.

And let's be honest here. What are the alternatives Britain is really left with? Either they go the route of Norway or they are completely shut out of literal decades of negotiations and treaties. You simply can not catch up with the developments in trade treaties and the like in just a year of time. This was clear from the Get-Go. That the back and forth in the british government didn't exactly help with compensating those troubles is, at best, the tip of the iceberg that the UK is moving towards at full speed.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 pm
LittleRaven wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 pm 'Boris speaks TRUTH those in power DARE not!' Brexiteer MP explains suicide vest backlash.

He may be right about that issue, but he is also one of the prime instigators of what he is complaining about right now. It's as if a thief is complaining about his wallet getting stolen.

And let's be honest here. What are the alternatives Britain is really left with? Either they go the route of Norway or they are completely shut out of literal decades of negotiations and treaties. You simply can not catch up with the developments in trade treaties and the like in just a year of time. This was clear from the Get-Go. That the back and forth in the british government didn't exactly help with compensating those troubles is, at best, the tip of the iceberg that the UK is moving towards at full speed.
You presume that the EU as an entity will even survive and won't simply collapse leaving all the other current members scrambling leaving the UK with a massive head start.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:15 pmHe may be right about that issue, but he is also one of the prime instigators of what he is complaining about right now.
Oh, no doubt about that.
What are the alternatives Britain is really left with?
There was only ever going to be one real path once the lever on Article 50 was pulled. Britain must walk. They have to tell the EU to go pound sand and then settle down to the hard work of being an independent nation. And yes, it will be hard. Inventory lines will have to be rerouted. Residency issues will have to be sorted out. The currency will fall. But Britain is not exactly a novice at dealing with hard situations. And being your own country isn't THAT hard. Plenty of nations manage it. Hell, if Worffan is to be believed, Rojava is managing it, and they're dealing with pretty much the most nightmarish conditions imaginable.

Because if you think that Britain can be another Norway if they just bare their throat...you've got another thing coming. In order to insure it's own internal stability, the EU must make an example of Great Britain. They have no choice but to kick Britain in the balls as hard as they can, because they need Britain to be writhing on the floor in pain. That way, whenever someone even thinks about mentioning Article 50 in the future, they can just point at Britain and say "Wow...you sure? Look at what happened to the last guys that tried it." But unlike simply walking, this particular pain has no expiration date. The EU will need Britain to serve as an example in perpetuity, and the Chequers plan gives the EU the power to ensure that happens.

In my experience, being beholden to a government in which you have no representation is a recipe for long-term disaster.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

I wouldn't trust a word out of that cunt's mouth.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'm still waiting for Italy, Poland, and Hungary to leave the EU.

"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR