I Believe In You

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Re: I Believe In You

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Asvarduil wrote:
LittleRaven wrote:I share your faith, SFDebris.
Same here. I think people are by nature good, but there are always individuals unbelievably skilled at behaving badly.
I respect and admire the faith of Chuck and many of his followers, but I can tell you from experience many people are not by nature 'good.'
I'm not trying to be edgy, angsty or cynical but there are people who are evil, take pleasure in doing evil things and are aware that they are evil.
Of course, most of the people who do evil things will always relentlessly try to justify their views and actions, particularly those in positions of power.

I wish I had a peaceful solution for how to stop or even change them, but I don't. Fighting them sometimes works, but will likely get you and many of your allies killed. Plus they just keep being born, it's incredibly depressing to think about and it does feel like they are becoming more numerous and powerful each day.

It gives me some pleasure to keep in mind that they were once screaming, harmless infants, I think it's important to have some humility and remind yourself that you were once simple, little and maybe even cute, as were your friends and enemies.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
YAGWG
Redshirt

Post by YAGWG »

Chuck, your OP gives me a ray of light.

For some background: my wife's Russian and currently back home caring for her mom who's ill, but we text and email each other at least once a week.

She said in her most recent email that, due to current events in the news, she's worried about whether she'd get to come back here or whether the border people would stop her and/or subject her to loads of interrogations due to her nationality.

I've just got to bear what you said in mind and that things will sort themselves out.
Creator: The Warren McArthur Chronicles

When in doubt, make a cheese sandwich...
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Chuck...your belief is sadly misplaced.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:16 am ...why?

Why do you have faith in us, Chuck? I don't have faith in me.
That explains a lot.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

...touche. >.o
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, this is the very same planet where a distressingly high number of people seem to want to sympathize with a barbarian horde and cite "war trauma" as a shield to defend their atrocious behavior, and to act as if it wasn't a bunch of crude, primitive people making conscious choices they knew were wrong, but did so anyway. Because they were on the "right side," because other people's agendas influence them, or they just blame the wrong people for crimes others commit. It's gotta stop. We're never going to make it as a species if we can't stop trying to inject religion or science or psychology into everything and just hold the guilty and the wicked and the cruel and depraved and disgusting scumbags responsible for their own actions. No one else made them. They choose to do evil. It's just as simple as that.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:52 am Well, this is the very same planet where a distressingly high number of people seem to want to sympathize with a barbarian horde and cite "war trauma" as a shield to defend their atrocious behavior, and to act as if it wasn't a bunch of crude, primitive people making conscious choices they knew were wrong, but did so anyway. Because they were on the "right side," because other people's agendas influence them, or they just blame the wrong people for crimes others commit. It's gotta stop. We're never going to make it as a species if we can't stop trying to inject religion or science or psychology into everything and just hold the guilty and the wicked and the cruel and depraved and disgusting scumbags responsible for their own actions. No one else made them. They choose to do evil. It's just as simple as that.
The Left started acting like a religious mob without religion.

If he had faith in us we would not have an ignore function.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

The right of course is blameless.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

unknownsample wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:27 pm The right of course is blameless.
I fail to see how the current right forced the current left into their current brand of politics.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Any argument that includes "The Right" or "The Left" is doomed to obfuscate rather than illuminate by its very nature, as these terms are ultimately reductive. Try to avoid them if you seek greater understanding.