Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Star Trek (DIS): The Wolf Inside

Post by Worffan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:11 am I'd just use an original character than Mudd.

He's perfectly fine as a character, just not as Mudd.

Trader Dan or something.

Say there's a lot of con men and smugglers in this period.
I actually think that the use of TOS characters COULD work really well...

...if the STD writers had a god-damn clue what the fuck they were doing.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I'd do three things:
- Stop the "small galaxy effect". Replace Mudd, replace Sarek, etc.
- Push off the mirror universe shenanigans to the next season.
- Say that the spore drive works explicitly by psychoflexis powers. Maybe caretaker species.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:11 am I'd just use an original character than Mudd.

He's perfectly fine as a character, just not as Mudd.

Trader Dan or something.

Say there's a lot of con men and smugglers in this period.
Are we all looking forward to Spock appearing next season?
Lol.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Worffan101 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:26 amI actually think that the use of TOS characters COULD work really well...

"Magic to make the Sanest man go mad' is probably the best of Discovery's episodes. It's also one you can't do with Mudd as it's an act of terrorism against the Federation. I don't want that episode to disappear as I really liked it.
TheLibrarian
Redshirt

Post by TheLibrarian »

I still think there's a lot of potential with this cast and premise, but Trek's inability to cleanly break away from the confines of its own continuity keeps holding it back in my opinion. (I'm hopeful for the new Picard series, because as the first new Trek to happen post-ST:NEMESIS, it's free to do new things in a way all these prequels and new-timeline-but-not-really versions haven't been.) Sometimes they've done a good job working within it--I roll my eyes at Sarek being in this show too, but if you're going to have a human raised by Vulcans Sarek is the most pro-human Vulcan we know of, so it works for me. But on the other hand:
clearspira wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pmWith the exception of ''Mirror Mirror'' and Part 2 of ''In the Mirror Darkly'' I cannot stand the Mirror universe, they are my equivalent of Ferengi episodes.
Same here. My hope is that by doing this silly MU arc in the back half of Season 1, the STD writers get it out of their systems and we never have to deal with it again. I'd prefer still having Georgiou-Prime to Mirror-Georgiou obviously, but I'm okay with the latter showing up from time to time as long as the MU itself never raises its ugly head. And bringing in Lorca-Prime, if he's as interesting as his mirror-counterpart was in the first half of Season 1, would also be cool.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 am
Worffan101 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:26 amI actually think that the use of TOS characters COULD work really well...

"Magic to make the Sanest man go mad' is probably the best of Discovery's episodes. It's also one you can't do with Mudd as it's an act of terrorism against the Federation. I don't want that episode to disappear as I really liked it.
Easy, easy solution. That's Mirror Mudd but nobody realizes it until (after they kill Mirror Mudd in the process of stopping him because Lorca deviates from the plan and spaces him), they later discover Prime Mudd when they're trying to get his intel to stop the war.
BigGator5
Redshirt

Post by BigGator5 »

Worffan101 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:26 pm
BigGator5 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm
SFDebris wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:24 pmI've got something wrong with my throat. This is actually after editing out the worst parts, believe it or not.

Just wait until you get to Mobile Suit Gundam 3!
Genuinely worried about you.

Anyway, have you heard about the STD Lawsuit yet?
Didn't watch your video because I don't give pageviews to alt-Reich types as a matter of principle, but I can tell you based on my (limited) knowledge of copyright law and cursory research that the lawsuit by that indy game dev is toast because you can't actually trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea. You can trademark certain names, combinations of names and costume pieces, for example "Klingon" or the TNG Klingon makeup, that can be sued over, but you can't trademark stuff like "Alien" or generic aliens with a proud warrior race guy style.

If the guy had obviously similar names and character concepts for each of the characters to the STD cast and/or there was a way to prove that STD's "writers" (I use the term loosely because they clearly were doing more shrooms than writing when they cooked up this bullshit queerbaiting shit show) had at some point seen and/or played the guy's game...then he'd have a case. Since AFAIK neither of those really seems to be the case...I can't see this lawsuit getting anywhere fast.
Instead of being insulting while making wild assumptions about me and the videos that I am sharing, maybe you should go watch the videos and then explain why there's no case here again. The similarities is staggering and can't be dismissed so easily.
"There are worse things out there, than reptiles." -BigGator5
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

BigGator5 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm
SFDebris wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:24 pmI've got something wrong with my throat. This is actually after editing out the worst parts, believe it or not.

Didn't watch your video because I don't give pageviews to alt-Reich types as a matter of principle, but I can tell you based on my (limited) knowledge of copyright law and cursory research that the lawsuit by that indy game dev is toast because you can't actually trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea. You can trademark certain names, combinations of names and costume pieces, for example "Klingon" or the TNG Klingon makeup, that can be sued over, but you can't trademark stuff like "Alien" or generic aliens with a proud warrior race guy style.

If the guy had obviously similar names and character concepts for each of the characters to the STD cast and/or there was a way to prove that STD's "writers" (I use the term loosely because they clearly were doing more shrooms than writing when they cooked up this bullshit queerbaiting shit show) had at some point seen and/or played the guy's game...then he'd have a case. Since AFAIK neither of those really seems to be the case...I can't see this lawsuit getting anywhere fast.
Instead of being insulting while making wild assumptions about me and the videos that I am sharing, maybe you should go watch the videos and then explain why there's no case here again. The similarities is staggering and can't be dismissed so easily.
I'm not making wild assumptions, buddy. You have that crazy Qanon hashtag advertised in your Twitter profile--a conspiracy theory deeply rooted in antisemitic ideology that's spread and supported mostly by Nazis.

Given that the only people who actually believe in Qanon (and therefore, the only people who would be nuts enough to put it in their twitter profile) are alt-right and actually mentally ill person Roseanne Barr, I think it's safe to assume based on your pro-Trump Twitter background and your promulgation of an antisemitic conspiracy theory that you're an alt-righter, and I don't give people like that pageviews.

And quite frankly, it absolutely can be dismissed that easily because tardigrades are real creatures, and it'd take a staggering amount of effort to prove that the STD 'creators' (again, using the term loosely given how lazy and incompetent they are) had the OPPORTUNITY or knowledge to steal from this guy.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Worffan101 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 pm
BigGator5 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm not making wild assumptions, buddy. You have that crazy Qanon hashtag advertised in your Twitter profile--a conspiracy theory deeply rooted in antisemitic ideology that's spread and supported mostly by Nazis.

Given that the only people who actually believe in Qanon (and therefore, the only people who would be nuts enough to put it in their twitter profile) are alt-right and actually mentally ill person Roseanne Barr, I think it's safe to assume based on your pro-Trump Twitter background and your promulgation of an antisemitic conspiracy theory that you're an alt-righter, and I don't give people like that pageviews.

And quite frankly, it absolutely can be dismissed that easily because tardigrades are real creatures, and it'd take a staggering amount of effort to prove that the STD 'creators' (again, using the term loosely given how lazy and incompetent they are) had the OPPORTUNITY or knowledge to steal from this guy.
*Cough* How many times do I need to repeat myself? The fact that tardigrades are real creatures is irrelevant, its the fact that they are both bright blue colossal tardigrades in identical looking tanks that power FTL drives that is the problem. Like I said before, hedgehogs are real, but if I made a story about a blue hedgehog that runs at the speed of sound its not the fact that he's a hedgehog that's going to get Sega after me.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

clearspira wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 pm*Cough* How many times do I need to repeat myself? The fact that tardigrades are real creatures is irrelevant, its the fact that they are both bright blue colossal tardigrades in identical looking tanks that power FTL drives that is the problem. Like I said before, hedgehogs are real, but if I made a story about a blue hedgehog that runs at the speed of sound its not the fact that he's a hedgehog that's going to get Sega after me.
It's gotta be intentional, though. This guy will have to prove that Bryan Fuller (who originally had the bullshit spore/tardigrade absurdity idea) had played or seen his game to get a cent. And there's really no way he can realistically do that.