Cyberpunk 2077

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
LittleRaven
Captain

Re: Cyberpunk 2077

Post by LittleRaven »

JM23 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:34 amSpeaking of the inevitable, the .S.J.W.s. (particularly the gender division) has already expressed it's dislike for the game's lack of, "gender fluidity".
We live in the age of the outrage industry. It's always existed, of course, but YouTube and social media have allowed it to flourish as never before. There are thousands of people that want nothing more than to make you angry, because that anger will drive the clicks that will give them money. To that end, they will engage in all kinds of subtle and overt manipulation, because they're not interested in any kind of truth or social gain, just the click.

Don't fall for it. I'm sure that there are some people somewhere that are deeply upset that Cyberpunk 2077 won't be a tarted up remake of SimAnt. But that's their problem, not yours.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Let us not forget that previously people were up in arms due to the abundance of sunlight from the very first gameplay trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 and they were mad the game was in first person. In other gaming news people are complaining due to fewer puddles being shown in the upcoming Spider-man game than were seen in 2017 video: https://kotaku.com/people-who-havent-pl ... 1828724400

In short, this is not an SJW thing, this is just SOMETHING for people to get mad about.

PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

If there were lingering doubts about whether or not you can do this sort of setting with broad daylight streaming in from the side, CD Projekt Red has put them to bed.

While going for a Noir look is great, it's not an inseparable part of cyberpunk. It's also a little unrealistic to suggest that a city in coastal California is going to have permanently bad weather. Though, if anyone insists on being a nocturnal cybernaut, half of the day-night cycle is still going to be dark!

While on the topic of the look of the game, about the only negative take on Cyberpunk 2077 that matters so far is that William Gibson didn't like the look of the E3 teaser. If the co-founder of the cyberpunk genre remains displeased about the sophistication of the final product, then that will merit some pause and consideration when the game reaches my gog.com cart.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

PerrySimm wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 pm While on the topic of the look of the game, about the only negative take on Cyberpunk 2077 that matters so far is that William Gibson didn't like the look of the E3 teaser. If the co-founder of the cyberpunk genre remains displeased about the sophistication of the final product, then that will merit some pause and consideration when the game reaches my gog.com cart.
You know what, in this case Gibson's opinion dosen't matter to me and will have no influence on my decision to buy this game. As much credit as I give to Gibson for his work in this genre, this game is NOT set in a world of his creation. If it were, his displeasure might be worth considering. However, since this is it's own unique setting with it's own rules and visual style that is distinct from Gibson's work...his comment just holds no weight with me.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

To paraphrase our host, Gibson is neither prophet nor priest. He's entitled to his own opinion, of course, but it doesn't have any bearing on mine.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

There's a bit of a humor of the fact that William Gibson and Mike Pondsmith made their take on Cyberpunk simultaneously. So, while Saint Paul is definitely not cool with the look, Saint Peter is.

I should also point out that Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't have to be perfect. Maybe it is too bright and sunny and that's a mistake--the rest of the game is fine.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Pretty sure there's plenty of cyberpunk anime that had scenes taking place during daylight hours.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Ordo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:17 pm In short, this is not an SJW thing, this is just SOMETHING for people to get mad about.

That's being rather dismissive really, portraying it as a generalistion. No-one wants to get mad. I'll base my view of them on what they're getting mad about, rather than that they are doing so (and I'm deeply suspicious about people who never seem to get bothered by anything, rather strongly suggests a lack of much in the way of standards or ability to appreciate).
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Admiral X wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 am Pretty sure there's plenty of cyberpunk anime that had scenes taking place during daylight hours.
Chuck's reviewed one of them, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone complex has plenty of daylight scenes.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Pondsmith is very close to the production team, perhaps about as close as you can get without actually being on it - so naturally, there's not a lot of daylight between what CDPR is working toward and that particular vision.

Of course, when you have a new AAA title in a relatively niche space, it can be easy to lose distinction between cyberpunk, the genre, and this particular game setting. That's a blurring that will only become more acute, barring some sudden resurgence of press interest in literary SF.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K