President Neelix denies thousands of deaths in Puerto Rico

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

President Neelix denies thousands of deaths in Puerto Rico

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics ... index.html

What's even more concerning than him denying lots of people are dead by a hurricane, is how many of his followers will believe him.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Worffan101
Captain

Re: President Neelix denies thousands of deaths in Puerto Rico

Post by Worffan101 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics ... index.html

What's even more concerning than him denying lots of people are dead by a hurricane, is how many of his followers will believe him.
You kidding me? This is going to blow up in his face. It's like Alex Jones claiming the people shot at Sandy Hook were "crisis actors".
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Worffan101 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics ... index.html

You kidding me? This is going to blow up in his face. It's like Alex Jones claiming the people shot at Sandy Hook were "crisis actors".
Yes, and Alex Jones was so good at it that his legion of followers harrassed people who lost their children with death threats to the extent where those people still keep having to move to new homes after their identity and location becomes known. And it took years for Alex Jones to face anything resembling a consequence for it.

I imagine somebody with a platform as the POTUS, rather than a shitty youtube channel, will be able to cause a lot more misery with legions of followers. Also I really don't like the idea of a standing president denying massive deaths even happened, and even a fraction of the country believing him could set up some really bad stuff.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I don't have much energy to fight. But I shall toss out a ball and see how hard it gets hit.

Could the President merely have been misinformed? As noted he initially got a very small number that seemed to bloom from media accounts. And we know the media likes sensation over accuracy.
I have little news on the actual work in Puerto Rico, how did it fair against the FEMA work post Katrina?
Not feeling you did enough and try harder has its place. But do you tell a soldier that just held a dying child that he should have done more?
I feel like these are points to consider. But might not stick on this President's board.
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:00 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes, and Alex Jones was so good at it that his legion of followers harrassed people who lost their children with death threats to the extent where those people still keep having to move to new homes after their identity and location becomes known. And it took years for Alex Jones to face anything resembling a consequence for it.

I imagine somebody with a platform as the POTUS, rather than a shitty youtube channel, will be able to cause a lot more misery with legions of followers. Also I really don't like the idea of a standing president denying massive deaths even happened, and even a fraction of the country believing him could set up some really bad stuff.
Alex Jones is literally a professional scam artist. His entire job description is convincing people that they're under attack by Teh Librulz and the world's about to end so they'll buy overpriced worthless junk from his online store.

Donald Trump is an AMATEUR scam artist, and not a very good one given how many times his businesses have imploded and how many investigations he's under. More importantly, freedom of speech means that Alex Jones has a LOT more leeway than Trump does before he feels consequences; he can say whatever he likes on a website he owns, and the worst that could possibly happen is Google delisting it. If Trump says that kind of crap? He could literally lose his job as POTUS thanks to that whole democracy thing that still technically exists here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Nealithi wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:19 pm I don't have much energy to fight. But I shall toss out a ball and see how hard it gets hit.

Could the President merely have been misinformed? As noted he initially got a very small number that seemed to bloom from media accounts. And we know the media likes sensation over accuracy.
I have little news on the actual work in Puerto Rico, how did it fair against the FEMA work post Katrina?
Not feeling you did enough and try harder has its place. But do you tell a soldier that just held a dying child that he should have done more?
I feel like these are points to consider. But might not stick on this President's board.
Sounds to me like you are talking just a little bit too much sense for this hit thread. We demand that more baseless conclusions should be jumped to!
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Nealithi wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:19 pm I don't have much energy to fight. But I shall toss out a ball and see how hard it gets hit.

No

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45511865
US President Donald Trump is disputing official findings that nearly 3,000 people died in Puerto Rico as a result of last year's storms.

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico," Mr Trump wrote on Twitter, without offering evidence for the claim.

He accused Democrats of inflating the official death toll to "make me look as bad as possible".

The official figure was released last month after an independent study.

On Thursday, Mr Trump tweeted that Democrats were attacking him "when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico"
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

unknownsample wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:48 pm

No

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45511865
US President Donald Trump is disputing official findings that nearly 3,000 people died in Puerto Rico as a result of last year's storms.

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico," Mr Trump wrote on Twitter, without offering evidence for the claim.

He accused Democrats of inflating the official death toll to "make me look as bad as possible".

The official figure was released last month after an independent study.

On Thursday, Mr Trump tweeted that Democrats were attacking him "when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico"
Is he debating semantics on Direct and Indirect deaths?
FemtoCat
Redshirt

Post by FemtoCat »

To me it seems that your president is correct
Donald Trump wrote:3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico.
And ~3000 people figure comes from the study that estimates the amount of people who have died in the aftermath of these hurricanes, long after they have passsed.
Or is it me not understanding finer points of english language?
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

FemtoCat wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 pm To me it seems that your president is correct
Donald Trump wrote:3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico.
And ~3000 people figure comes from the study that estimates the amount of people who have died in the aftermath of these hurricanes, long after they have passsed.
Or is it me not understanding finer points of english language?
Maybe because in the aftermath of a hurricane things aren't exactly OK, and they certainly weren't OK in the aftermath of Irma especially in Puerto Rico.