Hell is other reviewers

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
TheBritGit
Redshirt

Re: Hell is other reviewers

Post by TheBritGit »

Arkle wrote:
TheBritGit wrote:
Arkle wrote:
TheBritGit wrote:I'd put spoony on here, but given he's seemingly retired from reviewing to sponge off his patreon, I doubt he qualifies.
Nah, he's had a lot of health problems and has been focusing on that lately. And the information is confirmed by other sources, lest anyone accuse me of just "taking his word for it." I hope they find out the issue soon. And that the sub-par sleep disorder clinics he's been having to deal with get their shit together.

When my Dad died they found evidence of neglect on the part of the nursing center he'd been sent to after he'd collapsed at home about a month prior. So I have a special hatred for medical professionals who don't do their jobs right.
Where are you sourcing that from? I only ask cus i'm on his forum too, and I've not seen any evidence that its because of an downturn in health (Besides "depression over failing to become a tv star") :(
His Twitter feed, as well as those of Linkara and Obscurus Lupa (who said in a recent Q & A session that she's hopeful he'll be back to making videos again soon; though I'm sure people still think they hate each other because of that spat 5 years ago).
Thanks man. Serves me right for avoiding twitter :oops:
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

TheBritGit wrote:Thanks man. Serves me right for avoiding twitter :oops:
It happens.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

So, I follow Atop the Fourth Wall, but I really love PopArena. It's a more obscure review channel, but the reviewer is so...omnivorous in his abilities, and he has really interesting and nuanced takes on stuff. Also his Animorphs book reviews are amazing.

I used to follow Confused Matthew, but I gradually lost respect for him as he resorted more often to the "Nothing happens in this movie!" copout.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Did I mention KyleKalgrenBHH in this thread yet? He has reinvigorated my love for Shakespeare.
Call me KuudereKun
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: I used to follow Confused Matthew, but I gradually lost respect for him as he resorted more often to the "Nothing happens in this movie!" copout.
Confused Matthew always came across to me like an angry, opinionated teenager trying to copy SFDebris's style of review.
I remember watching his review of season 7 of DS9 years ago and it felt incredibly unbalanced, he felt as much hate towards it as Chuck does to 'A night in sickbay'. I agree with some of the points he made but I feel he was being incredibly unfair to it, also he seemed to lack the humour and occasional, necessary light-heartedness of other critics. I've watched a couple of his Disney Marvel movie reviews and he has improved somewhat, he still comes across as angry and opinionated but it does seem as if he has developed his own style atleast.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The last straw with me and confused matthew was when he praised Star Trek IV for it's subtle environmental message.

Poparena is really good though, and he does such a wide range of stuff, like AllTheMovies and random reviews of thrift store books.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

The ones I regularly watch are "Lost in Adaptation" by Dominic Smith, "Renegade Cut" by Leon Thomas, "Stuff you Like" by Jill Bearup, and Film Den and vlogs by Dena Natali.
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

My series has been improving little by little I think I've gotten the voice for my characters down a bit stronger. Either way I'm proud of it so far - I mean that pride will turn to disgust in about a month but for now.... Yeah :D
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
Xaios
Redshirt

Post by Xaios »

Chuck is definitely my #1. Aside from that, I occasionally watch:

- Nostalgia Critic
- Brad Jones
- Linkara (Who I would watch a lot more if he was covering a medium that I paid attention to, but I'm just not really into comic books.)
- Bennett the Sage (I'm generally entirely averse to anime, it's simply a medium I don't enjoy. However, Chuck revealed me to me the joy of watching someone with the requisite wit and writing skill dump on bad anime, which Sage definitely has.)
- Zero Punctuation
- Chris Stuckman
- Spoony (Not saying much nowadays considering his current output is practically nothing.)
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

Oh hey, I'm a reviewer now. :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAwBWo ... x5QUdv8Evg

So far I've made $0.03 in ad revenue. But the good news is, it only took me a day to get there. I'd figured it'd at least be a week. ;)
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---