Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by clearspira »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:45 pm a few more things.

I think chuck missed the point of "Resolutions" and Voyager as a whole that they are supposed to be a family and Janeway is a mother figure. sure, maybe "Resolutions" was too early in the show to demonstrate that bond but I don't know why Chuck is saying such a bond does not exist between the characters.

and I have seen a video on YouTube that reinforced my disagreement with Chuck on Dukat. he was just trying to convince others he had redeeming qualities, he never really loved his daughter as demonstrated when he was a party to the plot to destroy the Bajorian Sun witch would also take out that entire solar system, including DS9. he was a complete and utter monster like Gul Darhe'el from the very start he just masked it with charisma at first and after "Waltz" he merely dropped the facade. and this is also part of my problem with Chuck's speech in "Lethe". if we fall for a fictional character pretending to be a nice guy despite the atrocities he's committed, we could fall for it again the next dictator comes along and we have in the past like with Hitler.

and this may seem hypocritical after my condemning of Equinox crew but I am in disagreement about the Vidians from "Phage" and the Hirogeon from "Flash and Blood". first, to get it out of the way, besides the one hostile species that we were only told about, it seems all of the Equinox's problems came from murdering the Spirits, so, what I will say about the other two groups are different circumstances.

the Vidians seemingly had no other way to prolong their lives but to steal other people's organs. and unlike the Borg, excluding unusual situations, cannot be reasoned with, but the Vadians could be and while maybe Janeway should have just taken back the lungs, her not doing it worked out since they found another way to fix Neelix. and killing that one Vidian wouldn't solve the problem their whole species represents.

and I don't know if the Herogeon meant for the holograms to be actually sapient, just to have the appearance of sapience, otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of why they switched to Holograms in the first place. and even if they were sadists who made the holograms self aware on purpose, those specific Herogeon who ordered it done are dead and the ones Voyager teams up with are just responding to the deaths of their fellows.

and I still have problems with Chuck not even touching on the moral implications about Discord from My Little Pony. the shows pattern of near absolute leniency but still inconstant treatment of antagonists and even protagonists is what made me not want to watch the show anymore. what, the villain of the newest season finale gets sent to Tartarus for high treason despite being a child but Discord and Tempest from the movie, who are guilty of the same crime, get a pass just because they felt bad about it?

these messages aren't even relatable to kids. if kids are supposed to use these messages in their ever day lives, why does the show almost always give serious criminals as their examples of who to unconditionally forgive as long as they're sorry and not just bullies like Diamond Tiara?

and back to the whale intelligence thing. them being as smart, or smarter then humans doesn't mean they don't also have a different mindset then us that explains why they don't stay away from all ships just in case. and again, it's been proven that they react the same way to captivity as humans.

and again, not sure why the idea of Wesley Crusher being smarter then the adult crew is a problem. the main characters of The Lion Guard are kids who are suddenly thrust into the position of a praetorian guard but them saving the day despite being inexperienced kids works.
I think you nailed your own question there: this motherly bond with the crew exists only in Jeri Taylor's head. It fails show don't tell outside of this episode and thus Chuck is quite reasonably mocking the whole idea.

I don't see how your opinion of Dukat and Chuck's opinion of Dukat actually differs all that much. Your opinion is that he is a liar, Chuck's opinion is that his only loyalty is to himself - whatever is most advantageous to his goals at that time, Dukat will make himself that. Be it dictator, Federation ally, signing up to the Dominion, or Par Wraith messiah.

Its pure fluke that there was an alternate cure for Neelix though. Janeway didn't know that there was an alternative in the slightest when she made that decision because it was only offered afterwards - it is just as likely that there wasn't anything anyone could do and she had just condemned Neelix to a fate worse than death. But beyond that though, it doesn't matter if a few can be reasoned with, the Vidians are hostis humani generis (enemy of mankind) due to what they want from you and what they stand to lose if they don't get it. You simply cannot assume that they are anything other than ready to cut you open every time you meet them and both Janeway and Chuck know this.

The Hirogens ABSOLUTELY meant for the holograms to be sapient. You are completely misunderstanding the reasoning behind using holograms instead of live pray: the Hirogen are a dying race because they are so scattered across the quadrant consumed in the hunt that they die before they breed. Holograms not only mean safety protocols (if they wish to use them) but the Hirogen can come together once more. But they still don't want to play videogames, they want to kill. That is what they do.

Never watched MLP.

Nope, still not buying that whales have intelligence close to humans if they cannot communicate the sentence ''assume all boats-shaped objects are out to kill you and react accordingly.''

The reason why Wesley Crusher coming off as more intelligent than the adult crew is a problem because one of them is a super intelligent android and rest are officers with years of experience. I also cannot put into words how irrelevant examples from other franchises are when defending one that is completely different in every way. You might get away with Star Wars, Farscape and Stargate in regards to Trek, that is about it.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Chuck said in his character video about Dukat genuinely had redeeming qualities and was not a flat out monster like Gul Darhe'el but my point is that, yes, he was, the only difference is Darhe'el never bothered with a facade and was comfortable twirling his mustache from the start.

and the Heorogeon technician helped out the holograms in the end and the other Heorogeon presumably will not repeat the practice of hunting sapient holograms.

and again, whales not staying away from ships may not have anything to do with intelligence but a different mind set. maybe they are, to put it in human terms, extreme pacifists. and again, there are other ways whales and dolphins are like us in the mental sense besides IQ points.
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am and again, whales not staying away from ships may not have anything to do with intelligence but a different mind set. maybe they are, to put it in human terms, extreme pacifists. and again, there are other ways whales and dolphins are like us in the mental sense besides IQ points.
Is this one of those TNG things where whales have evolved beyond the primitive need for self-preservation?
TrueMetis
Officer

Post by TrueMetis »

And here I though pacifism meant avoiding violence, not deliberately walking to your death.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

that was just an idea, I can't read a whale's mind. other animals know how to avoid poachers and hunters so whales probably do too. they don't come right up to ships that often any more. whale watching ships seek them out instead of the other way around.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am Chuck said in his character video about Dukat genuinely had redeeming qualities and was not a flat out monster like Gul Darhe'el but my point is that, yes, he was, the only difference is Darhe'el never bothered with a facade and was comfortable twirling his mustache from the start.
"Redeeming" is a poor choice of word. Some non-negative characteristics that show up occasionally would be more accurate. They don't let him off the hook for being a monster, and any character without any little bit of that is boringly one-dimensional and unconvincing.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Riedquat wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:03 pm
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 am Chuck said in his character video about Dukat genuinely had redeeming qualities and was not a flat out monster like Gul Darhe'el but my point is that, yes, he was, the only difference is Darhe'el never bothered with a facade and was comfortable twirling his mustache from the start.
"Redeeming" is a poor choice of word. Some non-negative characteristics that show up occasionally would be more accurate. They don't let him off the hook for being a monster, and any character without any little bit of that is boringly one-dimensional and unconvincing.
no, Chuck said exactly that Dukat was "NOT a complete and utter monster like Gul Darhe'el" when it''s clear he was since his actions in the series contradict his apparent compassionate side. if we fall for the facade of compassion from a fictional dictator, how could we not be fooled the next time a real one comes up?

and I would really still like to start a conversation about the My Little Pony stuff.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm
no, Chuck said exactly that Dukat was "NOT a complete and utter monster like Gul Darhe'el" when it''s clear he was since his actions in the series contradict his apparent compassionate side. if we fall for the facade of compassion from a fictional dictator, how could we not be fooled the next time a real one comes up?

and I would really still like to start a conversation about the My Little Pony stuff.
Because fiction and real life are two different things? Because it is possible to get inside the head of a fictional character in a way that is impossible with a real life dictator? Honestly, anyone capable of confusing fiction and reality in such a way would have to be so dense that they are simply not worth bothering with. See also: video game violence.
PS - PLEASE, for the love of God, do not make me have to repeat our conversation about the subjective nature of good and evil we had five pages back.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

clearspira wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Because fiction and real life are two different things? Because it is possible to get inside the head of a fictional character in a way that is impossible with a real life dictator? Honestly, anyone capable of confusing fiction and reality in such a way would have to be so dense that they are simply not worth bothering with. See also: video game violence.
PS - PLEASE, for the love of God, do not make me have to repeat our conversation about the subjective nature of good and evil we had five pages back.
fiction is a reflection of real life, Dukat was a stand in for Hitler himself.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fall for it, fooled? Well, I suppose thinking that they must be 100% evil in everything they do, even a hint of any other character must be an act makes it easier to deal with them, to go forth with a clear conscience that there can't even be one tiny little thing in common with them and decent people. It's not as if having one or two possibly very selective, specific, and still somewhat self-centred bits of ordinary behaviour and feelings in any way redeems such people, so why the insistence that they cannot possibly have any? Of course in fiction they can be whatever the writers make them to be, but the more interesting villains aren't so plainly one-dimensional. It can even make them more loathsome, knowing that they're capable of a bit more but having no interest in exercising that on the wider world.

Of course we get to see a lot of Dukat and never see Darhe'el in person, we just know the important aspects of him.