Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 am Even with much less history would the USA be willing to subsume itself as a small part of something larger?
Presumably sometime after the U.S. adopts the metric system. :) And with resistance sometimes coming from the same reasons, I think, both practical and not.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:50 amIndia and South East Asia would like to have a word with you in regards to the UK and the Netherlands.
India? The British turned tail and ran in 1947. The Indians barely had to fire a shot.

Compare that to Vietnam. Remind me...how many Frenchmen escaped Dien Bien Phu?
You think the UK gave up it's empire willingly? What do you think the Suez Crisis was about?
Comparatively? Hells yes. Sure, they would occasionally make a fuss about something, (hello, Falkland!) but we're talking about an empire that once held almost a quarter of all land on the planet. How many of those places actually had to kill large numbers of British citizens to make them go away? France was still torturing people in Algeria in the 60s in a desperate last bid to hold onto power. Even today, France regularly runs military 'interventions' throughout Africa without ever asking us for help. Britain won't do anything unless we basically force their hand.

Jesus man, they're talking about just letting Scotland go it's own way if it wants to. They don't even care about keeping their own island intact.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Riedquat wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:39 pm
unknownsample wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:14 pm if you want to talk about childish attitudes then I suggest you look at your own side. People voted leave because they were lied to, they were told this would be easy, they were told we could be great again, they were told we could have our cake and eat it. All lies, now it we need to stock up on food because we're heading for disaster and it's not our fault, but the EU's.
If you believe that people paid much attention to the campaign (in any case a campaign that was running against a rather larger one with most official support behind it) "Stock up on food" and "disaster" doesn't suggest a more realistic assessment from the other side. Neither did talk about it being the cause of WWIII.

Why can't some people simply accept that others don't like what the EU has become or looks like becoming? The "you MUST be wrong because you don't value what I value" (which appears to be mostly money and little else) line simply doesn't cut it well enough.
Except the government is talking about stocking up on food. As for you second point well tanking the economy because you don't like what the EU has become you never specify what exactly is a great idea on a par with sticking your wet finger in a plug socket because it will dry your finger.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

unknownsample wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:01 pm
Except the government is talking about stocking up on food. As for you second point well tanking the economy because you don't like what the EU has become you never specify what exactly is a great idea on a par with sticking your wet finger in a plug socket because it will dry your finger.
A government that was fully backing Remain.

"Tanking the economy" is scaremongering, the danger of signficant impact to ordinary lives is negligable. The socket analogy is just trying to be insulting, which happens far too often when Brexit is mentioned. Disagreeing with people is fine but do it politely.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:21 pm
unknownsample wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:01 pm
A government that was fully backing Remain.

"Tanking the economy" is scaremongering, the danger of signficant impact to ordinary lives is negligable. The socket analogy is just trying to be insulting, which happens far too often when Brexit is mentioned. Disagreeing with people is fine but do it politely.
Yeah just scaremongering

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... it-no-deal

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... fs-swindon

You want to talk about insults Well I haven't forgotten the time I was spat and called a traitor to my country.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

unknownsample wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:01 pm Except the government is talking about stocking up on food. As for you second point well tanking the economy because you don't like what the EU has become you never specify what exactly is a great idea on a par with sticking your wet finger in a plug socket because it will dry your finger.
You presume the EU isn't collapsing and that getting out early isn't better than riding the train off the cliff.
Adrift at sea? maybe, but better than stuck on a sinking ship.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Digging out little news snippets doesn't tell you anything about the overall effect. There's still precious little to suggest much of an impact on most people, let alone suggesting they might need to stockpile food. The people saying it'll all be terrible are the same ones who said the country will turn in to Mad Max Land the day after the referendum. So far life seems to be going on pretty much the same as ever.
You want to talk about insults Well I haven't forgotten the time I was spat and called a traitor to my country.
Then save your insults for the person who did that, not for anyone who disagrees with you.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Digging out little news snippets doesn't tell you anything about the overall effect. There's still precious little to suggest much of an impact on most people, let alone suggesting they might need to stockpile food. The people saying it'll all be terrible are the same ones who said the country will turn in to Mad Max Land the day after the referendum. So far life seems to be going on pretty much the same as ever.
That's because we haven't left the EU yet if we crash out without a no deal and giving the govt's approach of stop or i'll blow off my own head to negotiations is looking more likely then things could get very difficult. As for those little news snippets other industries have also indicated they will have to cut jobs in the event of a no deal Brexit.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

The fact of the matter is that the EU is anti-democratic. Its government is unanswerable to the governments of the member states, let alone to the people of those states. Not to mention that often the many laws and regulations that are passed can only at best be delayed, and that there is no real chance of any of them being voted down - often "no" votes are not even counted. This is without a doubt the reason why people want out of the EU. And trying to take the Machiavellian route will only serve to hasten the collapse of the EU, and it also puts away any pretense of them being the "good guy" in any dispute, especially when it comes to a member state wishing to leave and reassert itself as a sovereign nation. The only hope the EU has of saving itself is some serious reform to a system that pays more than lip service to democracy.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Last week I would have said negotiations were going poorly.

I'm not sure what to call this.
With Brexit, and I say it with the utmost respect for the British people, we have demonstrated that those who said they could do easily without Europe, that everything is going to be alright, are liars.”

Addressing 1,000 cheering supporters at the first Leave Means Leave rally in Bolton, Mr Davis sent a stern warning to EU leaders and said: “My comment to them after Thursday is – disrespect our Prime Minister and you disrespect our country.

“Disrespect the decision of the British people, Mr Macron, and you disrespect our democracy.”

The audience roared as Mr Davis added: “And if you think you can bully our country, all I can do is recommend you read some history books.

“Everybody in this room has one thing in common – we don’t just love our country, we believe in our country. We consider ourselves lucky to be born here.

“It is astonishing how a small island off a north west coast of Europe with less than one percent of the population of the world is so powerful, so successful, so influential, so affective, so magnificent, frankly.

“It’s such a great country, Great Britain.”
It's like a script from a bad political comedy.