Brexit Rambles

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Brexit Rambles

Post by Karha of Honor »

LittleRaven wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 pm
Admiral X wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:34 pmThe US may be one of the UK's few chances to get out of whatever vindictive punishment the EU has in store for it.
Like I said, I understand why she's doing it. The UK will NEED the US. But Trump has proven himself to be impulsive and lacking in judgment many, many times on the world stage. You have to handle him like you would a live grenade.
You could get lucky. He was unexpectedly great with the judges for him.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Shut. Down. Everything.
The British government has been immobilised by Brexit preparations: hundreds of millions of pounds paid by insurers to the government to rebuild from flooding are sitting idle in savings accounts because no one can spare the time to spend them; ministers won't schedule out-of-London meetings because being away during a key vote would endanger the whisper-thin Tory majority; UK workforce productivity has fallen off a cliff while workers struggle to make preparations for the uncertain future; the government is incapable of legislating because the whole calendar is filled with Brexit bills; junior ministers are barely showing up for work because they don't believe they'll have careers after Brexit; the NHS's overriding priority is Brexit preparation -- everything, from top to bottom, is crumbling.
One question for our British posters: What is a junior minister, and why won't they have jobs after Brexit?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

LittleRaven wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 pm One question for our British posters: What is a junior minister, and why won't they have jobs after Brexit?
I'm not a Brit, but I understand Westminster parliament. In Britain, all members of the cabinet are members of Parliament. If only because there are many more MPs than cabinet posts, some MPs are appointed to junior posts, which helps junior MPs gather experience and stature. Obviously, they did a quick calculation, and figure after this disaster everyone associated with May's premiership is going to be tossed out, so they're trying to keep a low profile.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Well, minor spoilers for The Good Place, but now I know the real reason this all happened. Michael! D<
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Russia seeks to capitalise on Brexit after blocking Liam Fox's WTO plan
UK must now open talks with countries that opposed proposals or face trade disputes

Russia is among 20 countries that are looking to squeeze a commercial advantage from Brexit after blocking an attempt by the international trade secretary, Liam Fox, to fast-track a World Trade Organization deal on the UK’s terms of trade with the world.

Whitehall is now facing “up to two dozen” different negotiations with countries over how much meat and dairy produce will be permitted into the British market and what tariffs the UK will set on imports.

The development will pile pressure on the UK’s already strained resources. The Department for International Trade spent more than £1m on recruitment consultants alone in its first year trying to take on experienced trade negotiators, an area that had previously been left entirely to the EU.

[...]
Members block the UK's bid to fast-track its post-Brexit entry into the World Trade Organisation
The UK’s bid to fast-track its post-Brexit entry to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) failed today, after other countries expressed misgivings over Britain’s approach to tariffs.

The news means the UK will face a longer path towards using the WTO, by entering a lengthy period of negotiations.

That means the process of joining the WTO could take years, Reuters said.

However, the UK can still trade on uncertified schedules while negotiations take place.

International trade secretary Liam Fox told parliament today: “Some trading partners have expressed reservations about our proposed treatment of tariff rate quotas. I am therefore announcing today that the UK intends to enter negotiations with relevant partners under Article XXVIII of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.

[...]
Who would have thunk? :roll:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:24 pm Russia seeks to capitalise on Brexit after blocking Liam Fox's WTO plan
UK must now open talks with countries that opposed proposals or face trade disputes

Russia is among 20 countries that are looking to squeeze a commercial advantage from Brexit after blocking an attempt by the international trade secretary, Liam Fox, to fast-track a World Trade Organization deal on the UK’s terms of trade with the world.

Whitehall is now facing “up to two dozen” different negotiations with countries over how much meat and dairy produce will be permitted into the British market and what tariffs the UK will set on imports.

The development will pile pressure on the UK’s already strained resources. The Department for International Trade spent more than £1m on recruitment consultants alone in its first year trying to take on experienced trade negotiators, an area that had previously been left entirely to the EU.

[...]
Members block the UK's bid to fast-track its post-Brexit entry into the World Trade Organisation
The UK’s bid to fast-track its post-Brexit entry to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) failed today, after other countries expressed misgivings over Britain’s approach to tariffs.

The news means the UK will face a longer path towards using the WTO, by entering a lengthy period of negotiations.

However, the UK can still trade on uncertified schedules while negotiations take place.

International trade secretary Liam Fox told parliament today: “Some trading partners have expressed reservations about our proposed treatment of tariff rate quotas. I am therefore announcing today that the UK intends to enter negotiations with relevant partners under Article XXVIII of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade.

[...]
I voted Brexit and I thought all of this and more. I realise how many remainers thought that we thought it would be all sunshine and roses, but a good number of us knew that it would be bad for the first few years and accepted that as the bitter pill of independence. I have no problem playing the long game, my friend.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:58 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:51 am
LittleRaven wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 pm Britain now has a 'food supplies' minister.
The government has appointed a minister to oversee the protection of food supplies through the Brexit process amid rising concerns about the effect of a no-deal departure from the European Union.

The MP David Rutley, a former Asda and PepsiCo executive, was handed the brief at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs earlier this month.

Defra said that Rutley, who once ran home shopping and e-commerce businesses at Asda, was merely taking on responsibilities already held by other ministers. He said: “It is an honour to join the Defra ministerial team at such an important time. I am determined to ensure that we fully realise the opportunities of leaving the EU.”
Yeah this is totally something that non-starving countries do after a well-thought-out decision devoid of any disastrous repercussions.
Starving countries typically don't have food supplies ministers. Maybe that's the problem?
My thoughts exactly.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:24 pm Russia seeks to capitalise on Brexit after blocking Liam Fox's WTO plan

[...]

[...]
I voted Brexit and I thought all of this and more. I realise how many remainers thought that we thought it would be all sunshine and roses, but a good number of us knew that it would be bad for the first few years and accepted that as the bitter pill of independence. I have no problem playing the long game, my friend.
It's not the "long game". You've just been played and you aren't ready to see the horrible consequences of your choices.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Especially with Russia eyeing Europe like a hungry dog regards a steak. Just eagerly chomping at the bit to reclaim their former territory.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:10 am
clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 pm

[...]

[...]
It's not the "long game". You've just been played and you aren't ready to see the horrible consequences of your choices.
All I can is that I have wanted to leave since the '90s; a time when Brexit was a shadow of a possibility being covered by no one. There was no outrageous claim on the side of a bus leading me, no charismatic figure putting thoughts into my head. I saw my country being commanded by an unaccountable consortium of other countries and I didn't like it.

Personally, I think the root cause of a lot of this going south is the fact that we have a Remainer as Prime Minister in a predominately Remain Parliament. This was never going to work out to the best of its potential and you have to admit at least that.