Doctor Who S11E01 - 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth' (SPOILERS)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Doctor Who S11E01 - 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth' (SPOILERS)

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:01 pm Then I don't see the problem other than blatant "Waaaaah! Women with all their girl parts don't belong! Waaaaaah! I want the all-boys club to be sacred!"
Wondered how long it would take for someone to resort to the ''you're a sexist manbaby'' tactic. The classic retort of a lefty that has run out of arguments. Little piece of advice: it doesn't work.

PS are you going to give me that citation or shall I just settle on the idea that you pulled that out of your butt?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I gave it to you. I linked you to the wiki. And no, I wasn't accusing you personally. Though as someone noted, it was established within verse that Time Lords could change gender through regeneration. So what problem do you have with it other than the fact that it's a woman going where no woman has gone before? That it's a retcon? Long-running franchises are filled with them. Get used to it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:02 pm http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Thirteenth_Doctor

I've still yet to get into Who (downloading all the episodes) but are you saying Time Lords are stuck to their specific gender as they regenerate? Of course, they also said, and this is something even I know with my limited Who experience, that you can only regenerate twelve times. Yet the Doctor has gone past that. So if they're gonna break the rules for that, I'm fine breaking the rules to give us a woman in a role where no woman was allowed. I'm 100% down for female empowerment and I always will be. Honestly, that they can only regenerate twelve times upsets me more. From all accounts, it seems as if the Doctor should be dead already, but he/she sells, the same way nostalgia does for Trek with Kirk and Picard, or the original trilogy does with Hamill, Fisher (RIP), and Ford, hence why they were brought back. I honestly think that's something much more stupid.
The idea of Time Lords being able to grant more regenerations was athing as far back as the 80s with the Master. And you knew the BBC wasn't going to let it kill off their biggest money maker? They dob't have the same freedoms for making money like private corporations do.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Clearspira, I think it's because you have done a very poor job explaining what possible reason you have for being so offended by a female Doctor.

Also, for you and everyone else, I'm still kinda salty that my idea of the tooth-trophies playing into the villain's DNA-bomb downfall had no payoff. =/
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'd argue the opposite. Yeah, maybe big corporations have more money, but rarely these days do they have any creativity left in their bones to tell a good story. It's about greed. Making money. Look no further than Star Wars to get a good idea what I am saying.

Yeah, what Fuzzy said.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Becca
Redshirt

Post by Becca »

Enjoyed this first episode immensely. While the Doctors regeneration was part of the story, that she did so into a woman was treated as a non issue.

It was great how intrinsic Sheffield was as a backdrop- the locations, the background characters and that the new Sonic screwdriver was specifically made from its stainless steel- aptly from some spoons- was a nice touch.

While many are comparing this episode to Torchwood, for me it reminded me of Jago and Litefoot- how you have this cast of likeable ordinary characters, with regular jobs and lives, who are thrust into the Doctors world. They get in over their heads, but do their best to try and save the day.
Indeed Grace reminded me a lot of Litefoot- enjoying the excitement of the adventure and willing to go into danger to help anyone in need, (she, like he, had a medical background and noticed the doctors double heartbeat) and I saw a little of Jago in Graham-a lot more cautious, but will stand by their friends side, and again, do what they can.

It’s interesting how this new series- in the use of the cliffhanger and sense of peril, feels more in spirit to the Hartnell era than Moffats which felt so slavish to the iconography of it.(Coal Hill school, the first Doctor appearing, etc). That era lost my interest, but this one has reignited it again.

All in all, a good start in my opinion.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:45 am I'd argue the opposite. Yeah, maybe big corporations have more money, but rarely these days do they have any creativity left in their bones to tell a good story. It's about greed. Making money. Look no further than Star Wars to get a good idea what I am saying.

Yeah, what Fuzzy said.
I don't see how that makes a difference to any franchises potential. These franchises are not being led/controlled by any of their original creators, I find it hard to hold a corporation to the nebulas concept of 'creative integrity' because it isn't their job. We cab only hope that they realise that having said be well made and well received will ultimately to better returns than simply ignoring criticism (and criticism will always he around).

Doctor Who had been losing viewers over the past few years so they decided big changes were needed. People on forums can complain about the things they dislike all they want but they don't always reflect the wider world.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And... Roddenberry and Lucas were more of a hindrance than a help to their respective franchises. So not a good example. And no, I don't think so. Hollywood is dying a very slow death.

How so?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I have been finding it hard to stay with the show of late because of things they did on the show (moon egg?!?!?) but the season close with the Cybermen was good. I was less impressed with the Christmas special and I still feel changing the gender of the Doctor at this time is gimmicky and political and not coming from a basis of good story writing. That said, what I read about the episode sounds good; solid performances, decent story for a regeneration episode, and more grounded setting all sound good to me and I look forward to watching it and making up my own mind on the matter.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Pity it'll likely be a while before Chuck gets to any of this. Hasn't even done anything of Capaldi yet.