Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Re: Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I'd love to see reviews of She-Ra. Assuming (hypothetically) that Chuck found it as endearing as I do - I don't want to see the show critically eviscerated, just covered with an 'aww, you adorable idiot of a series' sentiment towards its many dumb moments. There's actually quite a lot going on in between those.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

ReBoot.

Sure the first season is your typical Saturday morning show (despite being the only full length CG show on TV at the time), but by the second season we start building to something big and more narrative, and it would be neat to me to see Chuck tackle how the show drastically changes.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
BirdofPrey
Redshirt

Post by BirdofPrey »

CMWaters wrote:ReBoot.

Sure the first season is your typical Saturday morning show (despite being the only full length CG show on TV at the time), but by the second season we start building to something big and more narrative, and it would be neat to me to see Chuck tackle how the show drastically changes.
I was about to suggest that myself. The first season was your bog standard kid's show with the usual shenanigans of the week, so I don't find it very watchable anymore, but when they start introducing some arcs and better stories that actually matter in the second season, it got pretty good.

I'd also say Last Exile would be a good one to review, but I might be a bit biased.
Similarly I'd second Planetes since it's always nice to see more down to Earth SF even if Space adventure/Space Fantasy can be fun.

Lexx could also be interesting. When it's good, it's fun, when it's bad, it's cringe worthy.

As for adding to the list: Psycho Pass is a good one to look at. Good show, and It'd be interesting to see what Chuck says about the philosophical implications they bring up on the show.
He also needs some more WTF in his life from watching Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Also, with him having reviewed some Clone Wars episodes, it'd be fitting for him to do some Star Wars Rebels as well.
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

What about Primeval?
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Quantum Leap would be cool, as the very stand alone nature of the episodes and lack of continuity is well suited to Chucks random order format. Unfortunately, it also means there's no bigger overall thing to talk about, no real character growth which is one of Chuck's better strengths... it would be more like the Twilight Zone reviews than anything.

Evangelion... I don't know that there's much point since he's already covered the movies. Yes, there's a drastic shift in film three but the first two are pretty close to the show. (And who knows if the final film is ever going to actually get made....)

Last Starfighter is an eventual must, I'm actually kind of amazed it hasn't come up already.

Reboot would be pretty good once Chuck gets through Beast Wars (or just code of Hero, really, we could stop there) if approached in sort of the same way. Speed through the highlights of the first season and only focus on the arc and character stuff until the real plots get going. And then... season 3. Ahh good stuff. And just pretend there was no Reboot season 4.
Steve wrote:I personally can't wait for him to finish The Legend of Korra. More DCAU would be nice as well. And a review of Mass Effect 3, although I suspect he'll be rather acerbic about the ending.
For all the flack the Mass Effect 3 ending gets, after the update and the DLC stuff that fleshed it out was fine. It wasn't exactly the giant million man battle in space that gave an incidental moment to every single player choice and incidental side character players wanted, (there were cinemas) but all the main character stories were pretty good and the first 99% of the game was fairly solid. Even the contentious ending made sense in-universe as the only real way to end the reaper threat. Similar to Babylon 5 and how they ultimately dealt with the Shadows and Vorlons... you can build a huge coallition of lesser planets to have a big space battle, but the only way to *win* against a cosmic power with millions of years more advanced tech than you is by something more at the core of things than just a big fight that changes the millenia old dynamic at a fundamental personal level in some drastic way never tried before.

Just making things explode wasn't enough.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Shows:

The Dresden Files.
Nowhere Man.
Agents of SHIELD.
Star Wars: Rebels.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and yes, I know its specifically listed on the site as something Chuck won't review, but a man can dream).

Non-shows:

Marvel films.
Batman v. Superman.
Fury Road.
The Force Awakens/Rogue One.
Harry Potter (probably either Deathly Hallows or Fantastic Beasts).
Children of Men.
The Martian.
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

How about Millennium and The Lone Gunman?
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

animalia wrote:How about Millennium and The Lone Gunman?
Those would be interesting, he might have to review some of the X-Files episodes related to them as well though.

Does anyone know exactly why Chuck won't review Buffy? Does he hate it? I'm not a fan of it myself but it isn't THAT bad.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
animalia
Officer

Post by animalia »

SlackerinDeNile wrote:
Those would be interesting, he might have to review some of the X-Files episodes related to them as well though.

Does anyone know exactly why Chuck won't review Buffy? Does he hate it? I'm not a fan of it myself but it isn't THAT bad.
Presumably to much research since it is such a long show.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

animalia wrote:
SlackerinDeNile wrote:

Presumably to much research since it is such a long show.
Yeah, I seem to recall that that was the reason that he wouldn't review Stargate, back in the day.

Could also be that because of some of the themes related to feminism and sexuality, reviewing it could be a bit of a political minefield, but I'm just speculating here.

I doubt its dislike of the show, though, because he's referenced it repeatedly in his reviews.