Code of Honor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Sir Will
Officer

Re: Code of Honor

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 pm This is probably the most action we ever see out of Yar. This is the episode where we see that she COULD have been awesome with the correct writing staff: she's a black belt at martial arts, she has an interesting backstory as she is from a very un-Federation like world, we see how calm she is under pressure, she's tough yet clearly kind-hearted. She could have easily been a Ro or a Kira.

Also, i'm going to come out and say it: I think Chuck's condemnation of Yar being turned on by Lutan is bordering on kink shaming. I don't see why you cannot be a strong woman and yet like the idea of being dominated by a man - anymore than you cannot be a strong man who likes being dominated by women. We can argue that this is hardly the time or the place, we can even argue that she may have took it too far, but I sense that isn't Chuck's problem. His problem is the idea of a woman finding this a-hole attractive in the first place despite the fact that women liking bad boys is an extremely common situation.
There's a very big difference between consensual fantasy and actually being kidnapped. She spend her childhood trying to avoid rape gangs!
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Everything about this episode was and still is utter garbage. Glad to have the review back!
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Post by PapaPalpatine »

"Hillary Clinton in a grass skirt and tassels."

Why Chuck? Why would put such an unholy image in my head? I my reserves of brain bleach are too low to expunge that.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, I voted for Clinton, and don't think she's ugly, but... she could be my mother. So... yeah. Ew.

@Sir Will THANK YOU! SOMEONE GETS IT. It's similar to Sanders' rape article. A woman does NOT fantasize about gang rape by three men. Any rape fantasies are in the controlled context of a loving partner, and both consenting. Not... THAT. I really can't understand how this flew over clearspira's head.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 pm Also, i'm going to come out and say it: I think Chuck's condemnation of Yar being turned on by Lutan is bordering on kink shaming. I don't see why you cannot be a strong woman and yet like the idea of being dominated by a man - anymore than you cannot be a strong man who likes being dominated by women. We can argue that this is hardly the time or the place, we can even argue that she may have took it too far, but I sense that isn't Chuck's problem. His problem is the idea of a woman finding this a-hole attractive in the first place despite the fact that women liking bad boys is an extremely common situation.
I feel like you showed your hand at the "strong woman" comment. Nowhere in Chuck's condemnation does that appear. That feels like enough projecting for a power point presentation. And, to quote his comments on another 0 of 10 episode, just because a woman may be into bad boys and rough sex, it does not logically follow that she WANTS to be raped. The same is true of anyone who, gods help us all, enjoyed "Fifty Shades of Grey", which depicts (theoretically) titillating rape, it does not therefore follow that IF a woman enjoyed it, she wants it in her real life.

To suggest otherwise, you also have to be on the side that because someone plays "Call of Duty" that they therefore want to shoot people with guns in the mall. There are things we all do in our 'entertainment lives' that we keep borders on, some would be mortified, even, if someone suggested acting on those things.

Which leaves us with the idea as a character trait, and that still feels really inconsistent with Yar's character. She's STILL openly traumatized about literally avoiding rape-gangs as a child with her sister. The episode's implication is that she hasn't found the RIGHT penis to be gang raped by.

And speaking as someone who has been a sex worker, people who are into being dominated as a kink, don't want to be dominated, they want to "dominated", in the manners of their choosing, in control of the situation, and only in the ways they pre-approve of. Which, again, doesn't really translate into "I want this to happen in real life".
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Clearspira's just defaulting to right-wing arguments. I'm not sure s/he even thinks this through or was fully aware of the implications that s/he was in fact arguing from a pro-rape stance.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Valikdu
Redshirt

Post by Valikdu »

Christmas comes ealry this yeat!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

If I had the money, I'd request Die Hard for Christmas. Yeah, it's a Christmas movie. Got problems with that? :P
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:02 am Clearspira's just defaulting to right-wing arguments. I'm not sure s/he even thinks this through or was fully aware of the implications that s/he was in fact arguing from a pro-rape stance.
Yes and no. I was just stating my thoughts not trying to start an argument or launch a political thesis because that is the only way to learn. And having had it explained to me let me sit here and say that I was wrong and I apologise. My thoughts upon watching the episode was not actually accurate to the reality. Sadly I am only human, sometimes I make a tit of myself.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, lest I get too arrogant (which I admit is another of my flaws, sorry), I wanna admit yeah, I was wrong too, in jumping to judgment too hastily. Since it seems our points did the job, yeah, I apologize too. Lord knows I make huge mistakes too. And hell, building on the points of others... she spent her life in terror avoiding the patrolling rape gangs like something out of post-WWII Eastern Europe, but... was it ever stated that the gangs had caught Yar? Even once? Truly disgusting and terrifying thought for a decent human being to entertain. I truly hope monsters like that end up in hell, who abuse one another so recklessly, and think of it as good fun...