Code of Honor

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BunBun299
Officer

Re: Code of Honor

Post by BunBun299 »

A bit of a mental exercise I sometimes like to do, is I will substitute my main Captain from Star Trek Online for the canon Captains to just kind of imagine in my head how my Captain would handle these situations. I never write these out as Mary Sue fanfics, I just like to imagine the scenarios in my head, and contemplate how things might go differently. Re-watching this review made me think along these lines.

All I could think of for this particular episode is that it would escalate to violence, quickly. She'd probably start by taking out the local satellite network, a few at a time. Non lethal response, but one which the locals would have to respond to, not keep them waiting. And if this fails to get a response, plan B is beam down, phaser rifles set to heavy stun, and just start shooting anyone who resists until someone gives up the location of the hostage. No negotiations of any kind will take place, those ended the instant of the kidnapping. Give back my officer, or things escalate further.

Of course, for my STO crew, the kidnapping is going to go hilariously bad for Lutan anyway. My Main Captain's Security Chief is an Android a good 50 years more advanced than Data. Ethical subroutines would probably keep things non lethal, but I can't see Lutan's arms not being broken immediately.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And what about the cure?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:15 am If I had the money, I'd request Die Hard for Christmas. Yeah, it's a Christmas movie. Got problems with that? :P
One of my all time favourite Christmas movies
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Indeed. Despite his questionable decisions of late, I do love how Nostalgia Critic summed up any criticisms to the idea with "FUCK YOU, IT'S DIE HARD!" Not a Christmas movie? "FUCK YOU, IT'S DIE HARD!" Totes.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 pm And what about the cure?
Violence would already be well underway by the time the notion we need the cure from the planet gets brought up. There would be no several hours of waiting patiently to learn that detail.

Besides, they didn't seem to be in any great hurry to deliver it at the end of the episode anyway. It's been a while, but didn't they leave the system at Warp 3? It didn't seem to be all that great a priority.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The whole thing began because Yar tossed the guy who was about to hand over the cure to Picard...
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I have one issue with the review. In it Chuck says this was as if someone got inspiration from the Gor novels by John Norman. I think this is a terrible thing to say, as the Gor novels manage to put more dimension to both the men and the women, than those of this episode. And thus such a comparison brings the books down for it.
Thank you.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BunBun299 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:29 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 pm And what about the cure?
Violence would already be well underway by the time the notion we need the cure from the planet gets brought up. There would be no several hours of waiting patiently to learn that detail.

Besides, they didn't seem to be in any great hurry to deliver it at the end of the episode anyway. It's been a while, but didn't they leave the system at Warp 3? It didn't seem to be all that great a priority.
That still ignores the fact though that all Lutan would have to do is hold the cure in his hand and threaten to destroy it. We can all laugh at how slow they warped out, and how it only appears to be a mild flu, but sooner or later it is lethal. And what do you mean ''by the time we need a cure is brought up?'' they WENT THERE for the cure. Your psycho captain would be doing all of this knowing that she would potentially be sacrificing thousands for one person, breaking the Prime Directive which is a court martial offence, and potentially causing untold damage to a WHOLE society when it is really only a handful of men who are the problem.
There is middle ground between ''Not The Face, Not The Face Picard'' and ''Parody Janeway.''
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

That's something that always put me off Star Trek Online. Almost all missions are combat-centered, regardless on if it's space- or ground-based. Makes sense for the Klingon Empire and is acceptable for the lateron added Romulan compaign, but Starfleet? It gets tiresome fast, as it really feels out of character.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Nealithi wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 pm I have one issue with the review. In it Chuck says this was as if someone got inspiration from the Gor novels by John Norman. I think this is a terrible thing to say, as the Gor novels manage to put more dimension to both the men and the women, than those of this episode. And thus such a comparison brings the books down for it.
Thank you.
"Inspired by", perhaps in the way that one who read the back cover summary might be? ;)
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 pm That's something that always put me off Star Trek Online. Almost all missions are combat-centered, regardless on if it's space- or ground-based. Makes sense for the Klingon Empire and is acceptable for the lateron added Romulan compaign, but Starfleet? It gets tiresome fast, as it really feels out of character.
That, combined with the on-rails lack of agency and the pedestrian writing, make the missions a slog. The combat system is terrible, uninteresting, and downright unfun.